Sign in to follow this  
Morlow

All kinds of map problems

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I've been trying to download a new region to start. I am looking for something pretty large (10x10 or bigger) and relatively flat (since I'm also having trouble with RHW on anything less than flat land). I found the Tokyo, Japan map which looks perfect. I have only ever downloaded one other region and it was one with the greyscale image to render from. So I download Tokyo and notice there is no greyscale image. I read through the description for Tokyo wondering what is up and find I need SC4 Mapper or Terraformer so I download Mapper and when I double click the app nothing happens. So I download Terraformer and it crashes every time I try to upload the image for it (apparently Terraformer won't work with really large regions). So I try it with a slightly smaller region (10x10) and it works, but when I go into the game the colors are all off. If I go into each city it fixes the colors but when there are 100 cities... you get the idea. Even with my beast computer that would take a few hours, and you can't just go to bed and let the computer do all the work like with rendering. You have to actually do it all yourself. I would way rather find maps that require rendering so I can just do it while I sleep.

So my problems:

1.) Am I missing a step with Terraformer to make the colors correct? I am following the instructions found here: file:///C:/Users/Slave/Desktop/readme_Manchester.html

2.) It seems like every "large" region requires Mapper or Terraformer except the first one I downloaded (Real Size Hong Kong, which is 12x9), so I need to figure out how to get those to work.

3.) This is not on the same subject but still related, since it is why I am looking for a new region to begin with. I am wondering if there is a slope mod that works with RHW that is somewhere in between Ennedi's mountain slope mod and Bones1 slope mod. Ennedi's has the max change too low and Bones1 has the max change too high and max slope too low. I am currently using the SCRT Slope Mod (Extremely Mounted) but there are no statistics given on the description page so I'm still not sure what all I am actually getting. It seems to work a lot better for RHW than Ennedi's at least. Basically with Ennedi's I was unable to make any entrances, exits or corners unless on flat ground or else I got "Unsuitable grade for construction".

4.) Another random problem I ran into is with hole digging lots. None of them work for me. Every time I drag the correct network piece over them it tells me "Unsuitable grade for construction". I figured it was because of the slope mod I had installed but even after removing the slope mod it still tells me that for every hole digger.

1.) Am I missing a step with Terraformer to make the colors correct?

Not at all. Mapper will do the same thing. It's because the tools only have very basic rendering tools.

2.) It seems like every "large" region requires Mapper or Terraformer except the first one I downloaded (Real Size Hong Kong, which is 12x9), so I need to figure out how to get those to work.

Terraformer works upto a certain dimension. I'm not sure of that particular dimension and considering that the tool doesn't do any error checking to prevent it loading images like that (The programmer was good, but rather lazy) it probably won't be in the documentation.

Mapper is a much more limited program, but is capable of opening and saving very large maps (Like the Brisbane map, which is 70x64 small city tiles).

Mapper also has an issue (Again, same programmer and rather lazy) with file paths that have '\U' anywhere in them. It makes a beeline for where SimCity 4's Documents folder is, which on Vista and 7 is in C:\Users\%USER%\SimCity 4, which contains \U.

A remedy can be found here:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10330.msg393342#msg393342

3.) This is not on the same subject but still related, since it is why I am looking for a new region to begin with. I am wondering if there is a slope mod that works with RHW that is somewhere in between Ennedi's mountain slope mod and Bones1 slope mod. Ennedi's has the max change too low and Bones1 has the max change too high and max slope too low. I am currently using the SCRT Slope Mod (Extremely Mounted) but there are no statistics given on the description page so I'm still not sure what all I am actually getting. It seems to work a lot better for RHW than Ennedi's at least. Basically with Ennedi's I was unable to make any entrances, exits or corners unless on flat ground or else I got "Unsuitable grade for construction".

Modify Ennedi's or Bones1's. Simple. I've made my own to suit my needs, it may be what you're looking for as well (It has the maximum slope of Ennedi Smooth, but a much more lenient MaxSlopeChange).

http://www.csgdesign...php?f=81&t=1706

You'll need to register there to download it, no big issue for me if it's an issue for you.

</shamelessPlug>

4.) Another random problem I ran into is with hole digging lots. None of them work for me. Every time I drag the correct network piece over them it tells me "Unsuitable grade for construction". I figured it was because of the slope mod I had installed but even after removing the slope mod it still tells me that for every hole digger.

It's your slope mod. Different slope mods work different ways and Ennedi's just doesn't work with most of them. BigRedFish's slope mod is much more friendly to them, but has no RHW support.

Also, if you're removing your slope mod, make sure that you have removed all of them, since you may have dropped multiple in there.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks a lot, that is very helpful. I hadn't even tried opening the slope mod in Reader but it is just as easy as changing building capacities! Great!