Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy0626

A Week from hell

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

The better half killed two laptops and third computers in less than an hour , the age of the hard drives do not help upwards of ten years. All information can not be recovered I had one of my computer looking at all ways we use to recover information, all personal information was backup off site. Losted: all sim plugins, a couple of sim mod I was working on . To cut a long story off at the knee, window 8 does not use Documents and Setting as part of C: drive, for that matter it use my Documents. Which sim city can't find; what I am looking for is a program the can turn map.bmp file into a region file outside of the game If you find 5 million sim looking for a home send them my way

That is a very confused and confusing post. Take a deep breath and recompose it. There is no reason not to be able to get the game up on Windows 8, others have done it. Now, just what is it you want to do?

• Original Poster
  • That is a very confused and confusing post. Take a deep breath and recompose it. There is no reason not to be able to get the game up on Windows 8, others have done it. Now, just what is it you want to do?

Get the game is try to get the software to fine the files to bring bmp file into the game

That is a very confused and confusing post. Take a deep breath and recompose it. There is no reason not to be able to get the game up on Windows 8, others have done it. Now, just what is it you want to do?

Get the game is try to get the software to fine the files to bring bmp file into the game

If you are having trouble with English, create the post in your own language then use a translator to post both versions. I suggest Google translate.

You cannot get a .bmp file into the game either as a map or a lot. If you have downloaded a map, can you give the URL for it, and we can go from there.

• Original Poster
  • I will put way sim city software was written for windows xp, when Documents and Setting where every was list under C: Drive.

Windows 8 does not have Documents and Setting listed on C: Drive. the use is listed in another area of the file windows. Window 8 is the OS and config everything to work the it want them to work, in short the is no file called Documents and Setting listed on C:drive

I use google translate enough to fathom that. Basically, he cannot find the "Documents" folder, or indeed the "Programs" and "Programs x86" folder, as W8 is a tablet base. I can't help him here, can anyone?

I will put way sim city software was written for windows xp, when Documents and Setting where every was list under C: Drive.

Windows 8 does not have Documents and Setting listed on C: Drive. the use is listed in another area of the file windows. Window 8 is the OS and config everything to work the it want them to work, in short the is no file called Documents and Setting listed on C:drive

There must be a home user directory. User files are generally kept in a single folder dependent on some structure in the C: drive. Can someone enlighten us?

In my system, Linux, there are no drive letters at all. This would be a considerable improvement for Windows 8 because it would mean all mounted media would be part of one large tree. In my case, my files are dependent on a fixed directory (folder) in the root file system which is named /home/john. If I had another account with a login name of 'jcw' the files would be in /home/jcw.

If Windows 8 has adopted something like this, then adjustments will have to be made. Where did your user files go after you did your install? On my machine they are in /home/john/SimCity 4

The game install files are on /home/john/.wine/C_drive/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4 because we are pretending to be a windows install.

• Original Poster
  • There must be a home user directory. User files are generally kept in a single folder dependent on some structure in the C: drive. Can someone enlighten us?

In my system, Linux, there are no drive letters at all. This would be a considerable improvement for Windows 8 because it would mean all mounted media would be part of one large tree. In my case, my files are dependent on a fixed directory (folder) in the root file system which is named /home/john. If I had another account with a login name of 'jcw' the files would be in /home/jcw.

If Windows 8 has adopted something like this, then adjustments will have to be made. Where did your user files go after you did your install? On my machine they are in /home/john/SimCity 4

The game install files are on /home/john/.wine/C_drive/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4 because we are pretending to be a windows install.

The user file go in a directory named my Documents .

This directory does not have a drive letter, the directory is outside the C: Drive structure.

Thank guys

I work this problem out, by make a directory inside the the C: Drive structure

Moving on to the next windows 8 problem

Trying to have these two programs run as the should SC4 Mapper or SC4 Terraformer

Trying to have these two programs run as the should SC4 Mapper or SC4 Terraformer

Do you know if SC4Mapper and SC4Terraformer only work with WindowsXP ? Since the type of window that you have is Windows 8 and they aren't compatible with Windows 8, off course, they won't work with your computer.

You will need to set them up to run with XP compatibility mode if that is available on Windows 8. I am beginning to think that some serious evisceration was done between w7 and w8.

• Original Poster
  • You will need to set them up to run with XP compatibility mode if that is available on Windows 8. I am beginning to think that some serious evisceration was done between w7 and w8.

Only if that was so easy just running these programs in Xp compatibility mode, windows pro 8 running everything off apps and the upgrade in the graphic is second to none.

Windows 8 pro is also the dead nail for the virtual mode that was great for running a virtual Xp windows os.

At this stage I have not be able to have these two programs ( SC4 Mapper or SC4 Terraformer) to run, so I have hand them over to one of my computer programs to take them down to code and work out if they can be brought up to run on w8.

We you own the company you can have your staff work on any task

Those programs are written in Python on XP. You will need the correct Python run-time libraries.

Re-coding them is a great idea, and a little re-engineering would be very useful. I suggest they be released in Python source code. If you do that, I can probably get them to run on my Linux system as Python is one of the development languages used widely here. On the other hand, if you recreate them in C or C++ as a windows .exe, I should be able to run them under wine or mono.

• Original Poster
  • Those programs are written in Python on XP. You will need the correct Python run-time libraries.

Re-coding them is a great idea, and a little re-engineering would be very useful. I suggest they be released in Python source code. If you do that, I can probably get them to run on my Linux system as Python is one of the development languages used widely here. On the other hand, if you recreate them in C or C++ as a windows .exe, I should be able to run them under wine or mono.

I spoke to the the programer this afternoon, the first item that I need is the contact details of the person or persons you wrote them. I need permission to to make change and re-post them, or it may be quicker to completely re-right these two program in C and CC++ to run more stable in all version of windows.

This link is for the digtal copylaws that I have work within:

http://www.ladas.com/BULLETINS/2002/0202Bulletin/AustraliaDigitalCopyLaw.html

The original author is either wounagaine or someone associated with him. You might be able to reach him on sc4devotion, but I think it was a student-days thing and he is now inactive.

You might be more successful with greyveil, the author of Landscape Designer who I believe is still active here. All things being equal, I would like to see external programs that have funny library dependencies made to go away, replacing them with C or C++ based executables. Interpreted languages in distribution can be a real pain, and these are not even maintained.

Frankly, if you have the resources, I would like to see the whole works redesigned and rewritten to remove the need for the .sc4M file (replace it with the standard gray-scale image), so that the resulting region could simply be rendered by the game. This is my main reason for referring you to Landscape Designer.

Landscape Designer is like a shot gun and you don't have much control over it. However a similar program that allowed the user to carve up the landscape then produce a gray-scale standard map and the associated config.bmp file would be a boon to those of us who don't run windows. I can run LD, but I cannot run the Terraformer or Mapper because they have windows wrappers but call the system's Python, which would be OK if they didn't expect the old Python libraries.

• Original Poster
  • The original author is either wounagaine or someone associated with him. You might be able to reach him on sc4devotion, but I think it was a student-days thing and he is now inactive.

You might be more successful with greyveil, the author of Landscape Designer who I believe is still active here. All things being equal, I would like to see external programs that have funny library dependencies made to go away, replacing them with C or C++ based executables. Interpreted languages in distribution can be a real pain, and these are not even maintained.

Frankly, if you have the resources, I would like to see the whole works redesigned and rewritten to remove the need for the .sc4M file (replace it with the standard gray-scale image), so that the resulting region could simply be rendered by the game. This is my main reason for referring you to Landscape Designer.

Landscape Designer is like a shot gun and you don't have much control over it. However a similar program that allowed the user to carve up the landscape then produce a gray-scale standard map and the associated config.bmp file would be a boon to those of us who don't run windows. I can run LD, but I cannot run the Terraformer or Mapper because they have windows wrappers but call the system's Python, which would be OK if they didn't expect the old Python libraries.

I will see if we can contact the original programer before we look at total rewitting these two programs, they would work under os the could run any version of windows

The SC4M format was devised as a way to compress the same information that the PNGs contain into a much smaller footprint. Downside is that it can only be opened by a few programs. PNGs also compress in ZIP files very poorly from memory.

Don't bother getting onto Wouanagaine, last I heard, he had lost the source code in a Hard Drive failure and never kept a backup.

The programs largely work perfectly fine under Windows 7 and I believe that Maarten (MandelSoft) has got them running under Windows 8. The issue is that Mapper has issues with file paths that contain certain significant markers like '\U'. This bug is present under Windows XP/98/etc, but it doesn't appear because the old Documents paths (C:\Documents and C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Documents) didn't contain any of these markers. Vista however changed the name of the Documents and Settings folder to Users, so the path looked like C:\Users\%USER%\Documents and the situation didn't change under 7.

There is a fix, the 'C:\Documents and Settings' path from XP needs to be spoofed temporarily using a Batch (.BAT) file.

As for Terraformer, it's a Compilation quirk. When CasperVG was researching this bug at SC4D, he found that it came down to the compilation. The same file compiled under the same 32-Bit version of Pyton installed form identical installers produced two different compiled files. The ones compiled on Windows XP, Windows Vista and under Windows 7 without SP1 installed wouldn't run under Windows 7 SP1, but the file compiled under Windows 7 SP1 would run on all systems. (The affected file, MultiArray.pyo, is an Open-Source Python library)

The 'Patch' is exactly the same file, just compiled on a Windows 7 SP1 system.

VHLLs are all very well for systems where there is complete control over the underpinning, but languages like Python are not suitable because they don't compile into machine code. Neither do most programs compiled under Visual Studio. If you are going to develop anything for after market use related to any computer game, you are best off with lower level languages such as C, C++, and Java that have run-time packages that are present on most machines. Of course, a fully compiled .exe from C/C++ generally do not require any external libraries except perhaps some common .dlls.

As compilers, I recommend ISO-capable compilers such as GNU g++ which is available free to any developer on any O/S.

Oh, and as a side note, you do not need PNG files for the gray-scale map. You can use the much smaller JPEG format.

• Original Poster
  • The SC4M format was devised as a way to compress the same information that the PNGs contain into a much smaller footprint. Downside is that it can only be opened by a few programs. PNGs also compress in ZIP files very poorly from memory.

Don't bother getting onto Wouanagaine, last I heard, he had lost the source code in a Hard Drive failure and never kept a backup.

The programs largely work perfectly fine under Windows 7 and I believe that Maarten (MandelSoft) has got them running under Windows 8. The issue is that Mapper has issues with file paths that contain certain significant markers like '\U'. This bug is present under Windows XP/98/etc, but it doesn't appear because the old Documents paths (C:\Documents and C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Documents) didn't contain any of these markers. Vista however changed the name of the Documents and Settings folder to Users, so the path looked like C:\Users\%USER%\Documents and the situation didn't change under 7.

There is a fix, the 'C:\Documents and Settings' path from XP needs to be spoofed temporarily using a Batch (.<acronym title='Building Architect Tool'>BAT</acronym>) file.

As for Terraformer, it's a Compilation quirk. When CasperVG was researching this bug at SC4D, he found that it came down to the compilation. The same file compiled under the same 32-Bit version of Pyton installed form identical installers produced two different compiled files. The ones compiled on Windows XP, Windows Vista and under Windows 7 without SP1 installed wouldn't run under Windows 7 SP1, but the file compiled under Windows 7 SP1 would run on all systems. (The affected file, MultiArray.pyo, is an Open-Source Python library)

The 'Patch' is exactly the same file, just compiled on a Windows 7 SP1 system.

The problem is windows 8 has drop a great of the items that run up to windows 7. or put it this way all versions of windows up to windows 8 where eyecandy for windows xp.

windows 7 is close to how windows 8 looks, under the surface windows 7 has agreat deal of the code from windows xp

We done the the code for these two programs we just need permisson or a release date.

If you recoded the items, then give them a new name and in your release on the STEX put in a note that these are replacements for the old programs that are no longer being maintained. I don't think you need permission to release something you coded yourself. I look forward to seeing these on the STEX.

• Original Poster
  • If you recoded the items, then give them a new name and in your release on the <acronym title='Simtropolis Exchange'>STEX</acronym> put in a note that these are replacements for the old programs that are no longer being maintained. I don't think you need permission to release something you coded yourself. I look forward to seeing these on the <acronym title='Simtropolis Exchange'>STEX</acronym>.

Thank that was something that I never thought of doing , but sim city 4 wae released in 2003 ( just checked ) so these two programs were released early 2004

Yes, and apparently the author(s) was a student in a European university at the time. Apparently the source code has been lost, so I think the whole issue is fair game. If you post a refreshed replacement with better code (and some new features, if you like), you will receive some thanks from many of us.

If the programs are written in a standard language like C or C++, avoid Microsoft lock-ins like certain controls and DirectX, and compile into 32-bit or 64-bit executables, they should run on Windows. OS/X and Linux. The remaining mavericks may very well be able to run such programs too.

• Original Poster
  • If the programs are written in a standard language like C or C++, avoid Microsoft lock-ins like certain controls and DirectX, and compile into 32-bit or 64-bit executables, they should run on Windows. OS/X and Linux. The remaining mavericks may very well be able to run such programs too.

What we are looking at is program that run on all windows os 32-bit and 64-bit does not need any other item to run than itself

I have all the information I could find about these two programs off to the copyright area in a Australia

Far too complicated on copyright. Here, if you put a proper copyright statement in a program or some writing, you have it. e.g.

Copyright © 2012 by John C. Winterton, CCP.

This post is now exclusively mine. Everyone has my specific permission to use it.

If the programs are written in a standard language like C or C++, avoid Microsoft lock-ins like certain controls and DirectX, and compile into 32-bit or 64-bit executables, they should run on Windows. OS/X and Linux.

Doing things as simple as threading will prevent this. C and C++ may be standard, but a lot of the basic features are very different between the OSes.

For example, for one of my subjects at university this year, the group I was in had to make a Parallelised C++ program. Due to the simple fact that it had to run using parallel processing, the time out on a Windows version blew out since it'd require us to rewrite nearly the entire program from a Windows Threading standpoint since Linux (or Ubuntu at least) only implements POSIX.

Yes, there are those considerations. However, conditional compilation for the target systems should solve that. Take a look at the makefile for something like wine and you'll get the picture.