Sign in to follow this  
boisemetro

only drawing base layer

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello. For some reason my game is only drawing base layers in areas:

renderproblem.jpg

This just started recently (assuming as the city has grown larger).

This is the large tile. I have changed the renderer setting to software, and there is no change.

I have applied the 4gb patch directly to the simcity EXE (since I am running 64bit Win 7, 8GB) suggested by Haljackey [post #5] here: and no change.

My current video card is an NVIDIA Quadro 600 (1GB), which has also been added to Video Cards.sgr (and no change).

Also, the video card is set to "let the 3d application decide" (as suggeseted by A Nonny Moose [post #3] here: ) and no change.

Any help is appreciated.

This looks like a case of the notorious Prop Pox, something I have also experience with. I suggest playing on low detail, save the city and load it again on high detail. Most props will re-appear, but not for long (because it will start to occur after a save. Therefore, I'm only playing high detail when I'm taking pictures.

Have you heard of an item called virtual memory Yes/No ?

What virtual memory does runs away with part of your hard drive and makes a page file, which all version of windows use first this can be anything that windows thinks that it going to need when windows installs from 1gb- 3.5 gb. All windows os only install around 3% of the hard drive as it virtual memory;

Let look at how windows os thinks :

1 Hard drive is 500gb x 3% = 1.5gb

2 Hard drive is 250gb x 3% = 0.75gb

3 Hard drive is 120gb x 3% = 0.36gb

4 Hard drive is 2tb x 3% = 6.0gb

Are you still with or you how have no idea what the hell I am talking about, windows reader the virtual memory before it read any ram ; so let at what is run under the surface of windows. Windows 7 is all eye candy on top windows 98 is all the base files. as they said when your on a thing stick to it.

If you know how to change the virtual memory of windows 7 or have change the virtual memory of windows os, then set the top area 8gb and the bottom 8.5 gb hit apply

So this what the area should look like :

If you have never played with the virtual memory then you need to have some do this for you, this is one of the main area that make windows run.

You may of heard of item called page file, this the virtual memory, all version of windows run any that is on the hard drive in virtual memory.

Looking the virtual memory of 3.5gb items running

: given windows 7 0.75 gb

: given simcity 0.5 gb

: given plugin 2.0 gb

: plus any program background running ?????

Total 3.25 gb

When windows has to load part of the hard drive up into ram the redraw is a lot slower, which looks to be your problem

I have virtual memory of

:10 gb

:16 gb ram drive

:16 gb of ram

Total : 42 gb

I am running windows 8 which give up to 10 gb to use for virtual memory.

How are you total lost :???:

Edited by Snoopy0626  

• Original Poster
  • This looks like a case of the notorious Prop Pox, something I have also experience with. I suggest playing on low detail, save the city and load it again on high detail. Most props will re-appear, but not for long (because it will start to occur after a save. Therefore, I'm only playing high detail when I'm taking pictures.

Thanks for the link. Very useful info! Luckily I have an older backup of the city too...

About virtual memory.

This concept has been used in practice for over half a century. When memory was very expensive and disc space was cheaper, it was often used as a backing store with full virtual capability, often arbitrated by software.

With the machines used for Project MAC (1958) at MIT (Dr. F. J. Corbato et al.) a secure computer utility system called Multics (Multiplexed Computer Service) was brought into existence on the GE655 machines with a new processor module that required each memory access to have a key that matched the key of the user. In addition, associative memories were created to provide full hardware virtual memory support.

When the project unravelled though the exit of Bell Laboratories, the remaining partners were able to achieve a Redbook approval by DOD in the US at the B-1 level. This meant that data of differing security levels could be kept on the same machine. This was achieve with Multics version R12. If it had been possible to provide a secure method of distributing the software other than by bonded messenger, the system would have achieved A-1. The full source of this system is published. You do need to have a reading knowledge of PL/1.

When last referenced, the project had moved to the University of Calgary. The hardware, however, is very expensive and the project has either been upgraded to later hardware or shelved.

There is nothing new and wonderful about the way any operating system with current microcomputer hardware handles virtual memory. In my personal assessment, Microsoft are probably the least friendly to this idea, but have been forced to go there by the ever expanding needs of its user base. In the IBM AIX machine that I have used, 128-bit addressing allowed every "word" in the address space, including the disk storage, to have an unique address. Worked very well considering the processors were a pair of RISC power-pc's.

• Original Poster
  • Boisemetro,

Have you confirmed it's Prop Pox? If so, have you found the cause? Would you be kind enough to name it?

Hi Mister Giggles. No, the source has not been confirmed. However I am playing the earlier back up I have with several lots & bats removed, and a couple of mods removed. So far the problem has not reoccurred. I will post an update if I ever take the time to test and find the source.