Sign in to follow this  
Haljackey

Stars, Stripes and Shields

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

As we all know there's been a lot of work on the site as of late. Although one change stands out more than most: those little stars, stripes and shields next to our avatars.

It seems this 'system' has replaced that little dashed line that used to be there which got bigger the more we posted if I recall.

So, what do these new stars, stripes and shields represent? I'm sure it has to do with post count, but is reputation and other externalizes involved to calculate what is shown?

Also there are big stars, little stars, hallow stars, filled stars, striped stars, etc. Can anyone provide a definition of what each means and how they are given out?

Sorry for asking all these questions but I'm just curious. I look like Captain America with that big shield next to my avatar :P

It's definitely intriguing. I've noticed all the combinations, and started wondering what the difference between all the symbols are. I do like them more than the slider, though.

Something to ponder about while browsing the forums. :P

Like the color bars they replaced, they match up with your rank. If you look at the image names you will see they are all of the format "a_#_xxxx", where # is the number of your rank (e.g. Simtrop Enthusiast is 15), and xxxx is four extra random digits assigned to each rank to prevent those who would tinker with URLs from finding images for ranks not currently achieved.

It's a simple swap out: these images correspond exactly to the old color bars. The file names and paths are identical.

I liked the coloured bars... I can't understand these new icons very well. But I can only assume changes are still going on.

Also hope the online/ offline buttons reappear. Those were always helpful when trying to work out who to PM ect...

• Original Poster
  • Also hope the online/ offline buttons reappear. Those were always helpful when trying to work out who to PM ect...

:idea:

Thought just occurred to me. In addition to the online bar it would be cool to see an indicator if the user is in the chatroom. Not sure if it can be done within the site's infrastructure but would certainly be helpful if you want to chat with them about something rather than send a PM.

If you're still seeing the old coloured dashed lines, shift-refresh your browser to clear your cache.

The "system" shouldn't be too hard to determine... as your post count grows.. you accumulate stars... as you accumulate enough stars, your shield gets "fancier"... once you've graduated from shields you get... well.. wait.. I guess you'll have to see.

I like this more than the green bars, as the old green bars imply there's a definite "end" to your post count progress, but as we all know there is no post count limit... plus, bars are kind boring.

Yes, the online/offline will come back, but you can always hover over the member's name to see their online/offline status as well.

I was wondering the same thing. This system is definitely more interesting than the plain bar, and looks much smarter in my opinion. My solitary star does seem a bit lonely though! ;)

Off topic: I've noticed the staff labels have also changed slightly (now don't have stars), and the reputation box has been made smaller.

It's great to see various aspects of the forums that continue to be improved, and nice to know the online status indicator will return.