Sign in to follow this  
DerpyDackles

Trouble with getting rid of vacancy and unemployment

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to playing sim city, and although I managed to get a good 1/3 of the map filled with densely populated corporations and posh apartment buildings, condos, etc. I've seemed to have grinded to a screeching hault. No matter what I do, my high income sims seem to be having trouble keeping a job, worst case scenario, they ditch town leaving my nice high rise apartments dingy and run down. The same can be said for some of my corporations as well. I can't really help this by expanding my commercial since everything is in low demand except High Tech Industry ironically enough. However, even when I do zone for more industry, they don't seem to grow very well. And when they do, they won't really last that long and meet the same fate as my apartments and corporate high rises. The only thing I could deduce of what I did wrong so far is possibly expand way to fast for my sims to keep up with. However, I'll leave it up to you guys to hopefully point out on what I may be doing wrong. Screenshots will be provided below to further explain my predicament. If you guys can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. :c

j6mpE.jpg

01cyd.jpg

hyGp5.jpg

download the money tree and set all taxes to 0, build another city next to this one with much industry's. NO residential areas, only industry

Have you been adding parks, police, fire, education? It looks like you could use lots more trees too. I am fairly new myself so I am surely not an expert but I do know sometimes adding trees or parks will make a big difference and making sure their transportation needs are met and the commute short!

• Original Poster
  • Have you been adding parks, police, fire, education? It looks like you could use lots more trees too. I am fairly new myself so I am surely not an expert but I do know sometimes adding trees or parks will make a big difference and making sure their transportation needs are met and the commute short!

Yes, I've added enough police, fire stations, education, and parks to keep the town happy. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't have tons of high class sims living here. As for the commute, I've added 2 avenues to span up and down town, as well as a subway system. I don't really have any debt or budget problems since I have a good 600k simoleons to work with as well as a positive gain in my tax structure so I'm not really under that much pressure. However, letting time pass won't really do anything, it'll just fluctuate between balanced demand and supply, and too much supply.

Edited by DerpyDackles  

Well, you need hightech industry, but you don't have clean land on which it could develop. I'd recommend picking a clean spot and zoning industry there. Since you don't have any demand for dirtier industry, this area should be easy to populate with only hightech stuff. Don't be afraid to add some parks and/or trees for those hightech facilities! Also make sure that there's no waste lying around, no high traffic, and not much crime. Hightech industry is picky.

As for ritzy buildings abandoning, I'd keep taxes for wealthy Sims a bit higher than those for poor or middle-class Sims.

Another thing I don't see in your city are bus stops. I'd change that. ;)

Oh, and thank you for providing decent screenshots - makes it so much easier to help and suggest stuff. :) Let us know how you fared so we can help you further, and good luck with your city!

Oh, btw: Do you use the NAM?

While its a little hard to say exactly what is going on in your city, here is few things to do\check.

Throw in neighbor connections if you haven't already-they always help(cant tell from pic if how many you have).

What are the pollution levels, both air and water?. Sims response to air\water pollution is VERY highly correlated to desirability in SC4. Its been my long experience that relatively small changes, up or down can sometimes have dramatic impacts.

Sims love their parks as noted, they like there non-park civic improvements as well, so dont neglect those either.

And I would stop running in Cheetah mode, and take more time to get things going. This game is a leisure time activity. You are supposed to relax and enjoy all the neat animation. Gear down a step (or two), and relax, The goal is not to fill up the map, but to have a pleasurable experience.

Since you are new, I suggest you start over by deleting your regions folder and if you have anything in plugins rename it to Plugins.old. Then start the game in default (Turtle). The game will remake your Regions and an empty Plugins folder, so you can start without doing a reinstall.

Now, pick a region, pick a city tile and plant trees, fix up any little things that need remedy while you are still in god mode, then press F2, name the city, and drag a couple of streets that cross about 16 grids each.

Drop in a wind power station and a water tower.

Zone some 2 x 1 commercial and wait for them to start developing. Draw some streets one grid away from the backs of the commercial lots and zone some 2 x 1 residential (low density) behind them. Continue developing R 2x1, making sure everyone has water, until the game goes profitable. Then toss in about six well watered farms. Make sure that all commercial lots and farms have employees, then run a road off the edge of the map to create the necessary neighbour connection so freight can be dumped. At this point, start following the demand graph, slowly. And stay profitable and well watered.

You how have that farming village that is the basis for pretty much all cities unless they start as a fishery. After you get this far, without rushing, grow your tile into a town, and then into a city. Stay well watered, stick in fire service when you need it, and police, then schools, then a hospital or two. With schools and hospitals make sure that the coverage is just enough for bus/ambulance and that the ability to handle the population is reasonable.

As you go along, watch your population by age display once in a while. When you start getting blue sections it is time for museums. Treat them like schools.

When you are ready to expand your game start with the NAM, and take time to explore and understand this huge expansion.

Have fun, and don't have a heart attack running so fast. This really is supposed to be fun, not a panic.

Edited by A Nonny Moose