Sign in to follow this  
Ionic-Elm

Your Looks

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Im no Tom Cruise to be shure but I would never change what I look like (physically), we are what we are and Im fine with that. Style wise I guess I could do with getting some more fashionable rags but money wise its not easy to balence these things... depends on what your priorities are in life to be fashionable or cool to me comes second to more important things like just getting by in life.

As in my user page says:

Clothing and look: dark styles, black and blue jeans, with black boots and principally black and gray T-shirts and shirts. Usually wears a black jacket. Also he never takes care of his hair. Likes to wear uniforms, like military and police., also leather clothes His accesories tends to be hardware or gas masks. Rivethead in a single word.

Also I wear always a pair of boots. Brown hair and eyes, I must to use glasses (my eyes are really bad) I'm not too tall (1.75 m) and too skinny. I could use a little time in the sun, but my experiences with our star and my skin are not too comfortable.

Edited by Alejandro24  

"Vanity of vanities, all is vanity" -- Ecclesiastes 1:1

Who cares about 'looks'? It is a variable. This is one item of social pressure that I could care less about. I have lived my life not really caring what other people thought of my appearance. I merely conformed to the norm, which in my case meant wearing a business suit because that's what was expected in my job.

It is what you do, not what you wear that counts.

Looks?....hmmm, seems to be important these days more than before. Like
Moose
, I don't care about looks, we all are different anyways and it is all a matter of personal and individual
perception
. Some may find me or you good looking, others don't, it is also a matter of "chemistry".

So don't bother with your looks, buddy. There's surely some folks that find you ugly and other beautiful.......just like all of us. It is what's inside that counts !!
;)

mrb

Edited by mrbisonm  

Looks aren't everything, but they are something. If you are wearing a style you enjoy and in good shape, you feel good about yourself and the confidence will show when you talk to other people.

That being said, there's varying levels of this so I guess the safe answer is to just be happy with yourself. I am pretty happy with how I look but I know there's room for improvement.

Actually looks are important when it comes to first impressions. Let's say I want to apply for a job. Let's say in a Bank, just as an example.

If I present myself with documents that I have the experience and the knowledge and show myself flexible, polite and competant, but...... I appear in a dirty t-shirt, jogging pants and some worn-out sneakers in front of the Director, I can be 100% sure that I will be refused on the spot, unless, no one else is available. But, if I present myself in a good looking suit , properly shaved, I will have the job probably right on the spot.

That is where looks become important. First impressions.

In the contrary though, let's say that they accepted me the same, dressed as a bum from fifth avenue (which is more than impossible), and I worked in the bank for year, done an excellent job and have proofed that all the benefits are of my doing, then the people will get used to my looks with time and don't even bother with it anymore. They will even find me unique and more and more positive impressions from their side will come.

Like I said before, I don't care about looks, but then again, I don't have to make first impressions anymore. I'm now in the sixties, own several buissnesses that are stable and profitable and do not need to impress anyone anymore. What I sometimes wear doesn't please my wife all the time....lol...very casual and simple. But I don't have to run after jobs, they run after me. And there you see, looks are not that important anymore. I have done my impressions on others, my customers know who I am inside now and that is what counts today.

When I was young my looks were'nt that important to me neither, because I knew who I was and what I was able to do, but sometimes I had no choice to comb my hair properly, shave clean and put on a tie, shiny shoes and a suit to encounter clients and important meetings, but on the street, I looked like Jack, John or Robert, an ordinary person.

Maybe it is the artistic side of me, they say that artists don't care very much about their looks..... ;)

I usually wear jeans in different colours than blue (even in meetings and important encounters), a t-shirt (clean....lol) or a pollo. no tie, not even for meetings. That is behind me. If they (whoever it might be) don't like it, there's always a door to exit....whether for them or me. ;)

It only happened once (many years ago) that someone made a remark about my looks. I looked him into the eye and told him straight forward: " Once you have decided what you really want, my clothing or my expertise, then call me." I politely told him to have a nice day and left the room. The man called me 24 hrs later and excused himself. That man was a very well known american actor, now unfortunetly deceased, and became a very good customer. I have built 3 loghomes for him and his family.

mrb

It only happened once (many years ago) that someone made a remark about my looks. I looked him into the eye and told him straight forward: " Once you have decided what you really want, my clothing or my expertise, then call me." I politely told him to have a nice day and left the room. The man called me 24 hrs later and excused himself. That man was a very well known american actor, now unfortunetly deceased, and became a very good customer. I have built 3 loghomes for him and his family.

If you do that nowadays in a job interview, they'll just call the next candidate and you'll be out of the process. There are 150 well-dressed guys at the outside waiting for the interview, probably with your same studies.

That is part of the current "industrial revolution" today. A heavy buyer's market. When you are selling yourself it is well to be wrapped in a package that will not emphasize your differences from society. Whether this packaging is a part of your "looks" is moot.

I have not been 100% free of facial hair since I wasn't yet old enough to growing it. I at this point think it would be awfully strange to not have any and adamantly refuse to get rid of it.

Fortunately, response to my beard is mostly positive, and in my line of work it's completely acceptable.

Of course, I've never been the "pressed and proper" type. I feel ridiculous in a suit and tie. Good thing I rarely have to dress up that fancy.

If I had the option I would wear shorts and a T shirt all summer and flannel and jeans all winter.

If you do that nowadays in a job interview, they'll just call the next candidate and you'll be out of the process. There are 150 well-dressed guys at the outside waiting for the interview, probably with your same studies.

I guess you're right, times have changed and the competition is more hardy today in all kinds of professions. Like Duke87, I fell ridiculous in a suit and tie also, and when even when I need to wear them, I do not, but go for a more casual, but professional look without a tie.

BTW, Nonny Moose, what do you teach? (if I may ask)

mrb

Ah, now that explains the knowledge of computers you have. Great to have you onboard. ;)

Fred

You could have just read my profile. It is all there.

John.