Sign in to follow this  
Mr Saturn64

Warning Posts

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I was looking at my little Simtropolis thing next to my posts on a forum page the other day, and I noticed it said that I had zero warning posts.

What does this mean?

It means you have zero warning points. From what I understand, warning points are given to you if you break site rules, attack other members, etc.

I can confirm as a moderator that warning points are given in case a member is misbehaving or breaking site rules. It doesn't happen too often that somebody is given warning points (and minor mistakes are almost always forgiven), instead we try to approach the member in question first, noting him or her that he shouldn't continue with his/her behaviour. If that doesn't help, warning points are given and the user in question gets another mention that we don't accept this behaviour. For most Simtropolis users, the number of warning points is 0. You can only see your own warning points, only the staff can see how many warning points you have...

Although the first one or two warning points are a bit like "get out of jail for free", further actions can be taken:

- Auto-moderation: you can't post directly for a certain period of time. Your content has to be checked by one of the moderators first and be accepted. This often happens when people keep on trolling/flaming/spamming/get too much off-topic and all that sort behaviour.

- Ban from certain site sections: not often given, but if one member only misbehaves in one section. he can get a restriction to that section only. This can either be temporal or permanent.

- Ban from the website in general: same as above, but for the complete website. This can either be temporary (often increasing in time when somebody gets banned multiple times) or ...

- Permaban: We can also suspend access somebody complete access to the site permanently. This is a heavy measure we rarely use on regular users, but mostly on spambots/trolls/etc.

- IP-ban: In case if somebody keeps on making clone accounts, we can ban the IP-adress alltogether.

Anyway, I think this will answer your question completely.

Best,

Maarten/Mandelsoft (moderator)

• Original Poster
  • I've come close to getting one.

It's good to see the site free of trolls and spambots. I recall a troll on the SC2013 forums and saying he had "a message to haters". Well, the thread apparently vanished into oblivion and the guys account probably went with it.

The Internet's most common language, i suspect, is troll-ess

Warning points you get when you say what you think and what is too real.... (in my case). The "naked" truth is most likely not accepted on this site.

I have a dozen or so of those "Warning Points".....lol....If you have 0 that means that you're simply a newbie or a Saint.....lol

mrb

Warning points are one of our various tools for maintaining site order. If they reach 10 then the user is automatically banned. 0 is a good number to have, try to stay as close to there as possible.

Happily, the way to keep your warning points low is not particularly difficult: don't break the site rules. This includes common sense rules like "be polite" that are not explicitly stated.

To clarify, everyone has 10 points. Use them all and you will lose your account.

Mrbisonm was exaggerating by quite a bit when he said "a dozen or so" - this would be impossible under the current 10 point system. In reality, he has a lot less, if any. If he wants to share that information, it's up to him.

The vast majority of our established members have 0 warn points. We usually only issue warn points after a member has already been contacted about a rule (or personal condition) breach before. Sometimes, if the situation warrants it (spaming is a good example), we warn straight away.

But it's good to remember that warn points really are just that, warnings. Having 1 or 2 warn points certainly isn't the end of the world. And if you take care to remember what was in the message you were sent when you got the point, there's no reason you should get any more.

Also, warning points can be set to expire after a set duration, or after a consistent period of improved behaviour. So even if you have a few warning points, they're not necessarily permanent. But like Cockatoo said, if you do have any, treat them as a bit of a wake up call. They're never given without a good reason, which should be clearly explained in the report, or via PM. But if you're ever unsure about a warning, please feel free discuss it with an admin in private.

Actually we (site members) can see how many warning points a member has on their profile page. Permission is denied however if we click that to see the reason behind the warning. (Error #10262)

Also, warning points can be set to expire after a set duration, or after a consistent period of improved behaviour. So even if you have a few warning points, they're not necessarily permanent. But like Cockatoo said, if you do have any, treat them as a bit of a wake up call.

They do???? Will mine ever disappear???.......lol (as if I would care)

Ridiculous, that's what this is....imo.

mrb