Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Force 7.7 Earthquake off B.C. Coast

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Tectonic slide.

Tsunami warnings issued as far as Hawaii, then cancelled a few hours later. Apparently there was no up/down component, but two plates just slide across each other.

At 7.7 is was widely felt. Wonder if this could be a warning for the big one they are expecting at the Cascadia Fault? I expect the seismologists are wondering the same. On the other hand, it might have been the expected adjustment, in which case it was rather a dud.

At 7.7 is was widely felt. Wonder if this could be a warning for the big one they are expecting at the Cascadia Fault? I expect the seismologists are wondering the same. On the other hand, it might have been the expected adjustment, in which case it was rather a dud.

That's the question, certainly it was strong... 7.7. Is just to wait and stay prepared.

I'm still waiting for the earthquake of every 8 years, the last one were in 2003.

I just hope this isn't the prelude. The 9.0 in Japan last year was preceded by a 7.5 in the same location two days earlier. No doubt that the Vancouver/Seattle area is sitting on a powder keg.

OMG! yes! Here in california, we felt an earthquake aswell! I heard it was a 4.7! I was violently woken up by this earthquake. -.- I hope we don't get an aftershock!

• Original Poster
  • According to the seismology mavens, this is a different fault from the Cascadia Subduction Zone which is still expected to let go anytime now. However, it did show up some deficits in the EMO set up. The Canadian centre was about an hour late with its warnings as opposed to NOAA. Seems the centre isn't manned 24/7. What a surprise! What with all those Conservative budget cuts, I am surprised they can even purchase new charts for the seismographs.

A CBC reporter had the centre manager on camera asking this question, and you never saw a snivel serpent avoid an answer so uncomfortably. She probably would have been fired if she told the truth.

The most powerful in the history of Canada and zero damage -I suppose that they're not counting the complete seismologic history in the Pacific Coast, someone explain this please-. That's really amazing.

Edited by Alejandro24  

We had an earthquake drill the week before last, a fire drill last week, and another fire drill today. The earthquake drill was campus-wide, the fire drills were only parts of the campus. I think we will be prepared for any disasters.

--Ocram