Sign in to follow this  
WarhawkJAH

To all of the people complaining about the changes

90 posts in this topic Last Reply

I agree somewhat. I wanted to add some thoughts about the new SimCity. Like many of you here I have been playing the SimCity games for quite some time, since I was junior high age and I'm 30 now so that's pretty much the majority of my life. I definitely have my share reservations.

I do disagree with the idea of requiring an internet connection. I've spent time in the military and have gone to places that don't always have a reliable Internet connection. I don't see that as much an issue for me now that I'm a civilian again but I definitely see this as a problem because there still are places in the world but there is no reliable connection. This being said although I'm not exactly happy about this requirement it's not near enough to discourage me from buying the game.

I don't expect the multiplayer aspect this came to be widely successful in fact I predict that the game will become more single player oriented much like Cities XL did. The online part of the game which was emphasized by the franchise at first went way and became a purely single player game. After that 2011 in 2012 (which was more of an expansion pack for 2011) were released and they still enjoyed modest success. The same thing would likely happen if Maxis/EA started realizing that most players were building independently. In the end I don't expect this to radically change the way we play the game.

As for the other complaints that I've seen, I agree that a lot of the changes are disappointing but so far minor disappointments rather than showstoppers. The fact that there is no mod support at launch doesn't bother me much at all. This isn't so much because I normally prefer to play the vanilla version but mostly because I never wanted to start out using mods from day one anyway. I did use the terraform feature a lot in SimCity 4 and found it useful when I wanted to build on a specific type of land (such as building a city on a huge island) but the fact that it isn't included isn't a showstopper either.

I know that some structures might be left out most obviously the subways but these are things that can be added in an expansion pack or a mod. Remember there are also structures being as such as the streetcars which can also serve as light rail in the ability to expand existing structures. Also remember that previous versions of SimCity have removed features for example hydroelectric power hasn't been in the game since SC2K.

Another complaint I've seen is that a lot of people have a problem with the city size as being only 2 km x 2 km. This is understandable as it is not a realistic size for a large city. But at the same time since you can still have an entire region to yourself in some cities within the region are so interconnected a nearby city that you are also building would act more as a suburb or an expansion of your current city.

Although I haven't seen too many complaints about it, I suspect that the specialized city aspect of the game is a turnoff for some people because it reminds them of Societies. This doesn't look like the same thing all the fact it looks more like some of the specialization that you see in the CXL series where you can specialize based on certain resources.

Like I said I don't particularly care for these changes either but I can't understand why any of this is enough to keep people from buying the game which still seems to be in the spirit of its predecessors.

From what I read here I gather most of them are not so keen now because it is not like the other simcities which I kinda agree. SC2013 looks more like the sims to be honest especially the region view reminds me of the expansion packs mini worlds.

I can understand why the small map is a big issue. Most games nowadays have huge maps. It is very hard to build like tall towers or elevated rails inside that space so...like I say I can empathize.

I won't even think of buying the SC2013 because I don't think that it will be better or different from SC Societies which I played four times in all. I've seen enough sofar what SC5 is going to be and it simply doesn't please me at all. But I would like to mention though, that there will be no another SC game for a long time that will be as diverse, as manipulatable (does that word exist?) as interesting, as good looking and as funhaving as Simcity 4.

Maxis has run out of excellent ideas. ...........:(

mrb

I have said this before, Simcity 4 was a horrible game. However, with ST and other similar sites, they turned it into a great game. Now,I, like some other people, expected SC5 to be more similar to sc4, just with better graphics and better gameplay. But when the screen shots started coming out and all we saw were these cartoony looking buildings, it was a huge disappointment. I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but sc5 has not made a good impression on me so far at all.

Uninstall your entire SC4 file, complete with mods, then reinstall(no rush hour). Tell me how great that game is

You just gave that nail a headache, you whacked it right on the head

Many of the road options that lent SC4 to being as open-ended as it is is due primarily to the expanded transit networks in Rush Hour, plus a ton of the custom content that is out for SC4 is only available to players who have Rush Hour

The Sims started out as a mere shadow of what it eventually became. I remember getting The Sims and playing it, it was boooooring. Then my mom bought me The Sims Double Deluxe, House Party, Unleashed, and Hot Date. That game was a whole different experience. From the time The Sims first shipped to the time the last expansion shipped was nearly four years.

Once there's an expansion pack or two (or seven if it lasts for a heckuva long time), I bet many of the people who have derided the game will be well-satisfied.

While vanilla SC4 plays nothing like a heavily modded version complete with Rush Hour, calling it a "horrible game" is not very fair. Back when it first came out there was nothing even close to it, the vanilla game was a huge step forward compared to SC3k. Yes it had bugs, yes it was missing a lot of features we've come to love, but the difference between SC4 vanilla and SC3000 was huge. I can't really think of any major way the game was a step backwards from SC3k, though I can think of plenty between SC2013 and SC4.

When you strip it down and start over with a new vision its going to be missing things. Guarantee you if it were just an upgrade SC4 with no modding possible there would be people on here screaming about the lack of vision in the team.

I won't even think of buying the SC2013 because I don't think that it will be better or different from SC Societies which I played four times in all. I've seen enough sofar what SC5 is going to be and it simply doesn't please me at all. But I would like to mention though, that there will be no another SC game for a long time that will be as diverse, as manipulatable (does that word exist?) as interesting, as good looking and as funhaving as Simcity 4.

Maxis has run out of excellent ideas. ........... :(

mrb

Uninstall your entire SC4 file, complete with mods, then reinstall(no rush hour). Tell me how great that game is

....It's still better of what I have seen with sc2013...........I loved it from the beginning. Of course the SC communities have made much more interesting and challenging. No doubt!

Edited by mrbisonm  

Vanilla SC4 has these things that SC2013 doesn't:

Farms

Highways

Subways

Terraforming

Zone density control

4 km x 4 km cities

Cities right next to each other

Ability to build cities with a million people

Ability to build airports within the city

Solo play mode

Vice versa:

Curvy roads

3D Graphics

World Economy

Online play

Edited by Indiana Joe  

Maxis has run out of excellent ideas. ........... :(

mrb

I've been playing this game, starting with the original SC, since the early 90s. SC4 was released in 2004 and at the time was far superior than any other City Simulation game. Of course it would seem like a dull game if you played it vanilla today. We expect to much with all the advancement of technology. Of course SC4 today would be considered old and out-dated, though it wasn't that way in the early 2000s. I bet if you came back 8 years later and played SC13 vanilla you'd say the exact same thing.

When you add all the modifications (plus Rush Hour) SC4 will always have more creative freedom because of what the community has done. I won't buy 2013. I'm sticking to 4 because of what I can do with it. And if I have to lose out on curvy roads, I'm OK with that.

I'd rather have:

Custom Seaports

Custom Airports

Highways - in all of their forms

Mass Transit - in all of it's forms

Terraforming

A variety of city tile sizes

And most importantly, solo play.

All things the new game won't have, for many many years.

Plus SC4 has the COMMUNITY!

Vanilla SC4 has these things that SC2013 doesn't:

Ability to build airports within the city

I think you've been mis-informed. The new SimCity does include the ability to build airports within the city, it is only the international airport that is a great work.

....It's still better of what I have seen with sc2013...........I loved it from the beginning. Of course the SC communities have made much more interesting and challenging. No doubt!

Good thought. I hope the SC communities will be given the same past SimCity MODDING opportunity with SC2013. But reality and history tells me that once a typical solo offline game get pushed online, the chance for the core fans to improve the game is slim to none....

Complaints will continue here and on official forum even after launch. They could've just called it SimTown Online and I would have been curious enough to poke my head in. But they told us it's a new SimCity and got our core fans hopes up then drop one feature-no-more bomb after another. So what else is there for core fans to do?

Complaints may stop eventually, either long after the SC2013 server shuts down, or when offline and modding become possible and all core SimCity features restored so that SimCity becomes like SimCity again.

Good thought. I hope the SC communities will be given the same past SimCity MODDING opportunity with SC2013. But reality and history tells me that once a typical solo offline game get pushed online, the chance for the core fans to improve the game is slim to none....

Masis has mentioned many times that there will be modding, there likely will not be modding allowed to give players an undue advantage over other players. The custom-content will likely be limited to buildings, and if there are concerns about the coding of the game itself, with the advent of social media since the last Maxis-developed game in the franchise, our concerns will likely be addressed then. I'm pretty sure a good deal, if not most of the mods available for any given online game where a player is in direct competition with other players are there for one reason, and one reason only, cheating.

SimCity 2013 is NOT SimCity 5, or SC4-2, or any iteration of a solo-offline game pushed online, it is an online game from the ground up. It is a different approach to the SimCity franchise.

I will say this about the modding, the Internet requirement could seriously hamper this(everyone in the server will have to have the same mods). I'm not saying this will be a great game but i will give it a chance, Maxis has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment in my life so buying this game is the least I can do.

The problem with custom buildings is the basic parameter of setting population. If I can create a house or an apartment building or a dinner or a factory, I have to be able to set the residence or job level of the building. Who says then I can't make a house that houses 10,000 sims? Or a dinner that employs 10,000 workers? That means Maxis is going to have to vet every building submitted. If this game isn't financially successful, I don't see them bothering with developing modding anyways but unless the game is really successful, I don't see modding added just because there will be a real expense involved vetting and then maintaining the mods. So in that regards I'll believe there will be modding when I see it.

Even though it's a ground up online game I see nothing they are doing with SC2013 that can't be done with an AI and offline besides chatting, sharing cities via abandoning them, and leader boards. That's it. All the trading, global economy, and all the region play could be done completely offline as there is nothing in the game play that's been revealed so far that requires it fundamentally to be online.

SimCity 2013 is NOT SimCity 5, or SC4-2, or any iteration of a solo-offline game pushed online, it is an online game from the ground up. It is a different approach to the SimCity franchise.

Furthermore, Maxis announced that this SimCity was going to be a reboot way back when they first showed gameplay back in E3 2012.

I will say this about the modding, the Internet requirement could seriously hamper this(everyone in the server will have to have the same mods). I'm not saying this will be a great game but i will give it a chance, Maxis has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment in my life so buying this game is the least I can do.

They can get around that by having custom content stored server-side.

They also mentioned that the buildings are a lot different, there could conceivably be a way to cap a building's capacity based on the building's dimensions. This could all be done automatically by a program. This is likely why custom content will be released sometime after launch. There still will likely be a Maxis employee supervising the custom content to make sure no "booster" buildings get past.

Edited by PTPLauthor  

I am actually liking this game so far, the idea of bringing in a "market" for the cities to run on will add a new layer to city building. Currently CS4, you build a city and when you finish with a part of your city it is done. I hate that when I am working on a city and I have basically built out my downtown that it becomes boring and just something to look at that doesn't do anything.

I like the idea of being able to create a living, breathing city that is effected by outside markets, that can produce goods or tourism.

I would like to see subways and highways added to the game, but I will say when I use a medium size map in CS4, the highway plays a small part in it as well as the subway, which is something the streetcar/light rail could easily replace for me. Also with subways, it is looking like this is a very visual game and with subways being underground there is no visual, I would love to see them use Glassbox to create a visual underground so that we could have full control over subways and subway lines to best build routes and stations, even having something where you could have a station connect to multiple points in an area so that several points along a street or several streets could have access to one station.

I do wish they went with the large maps at least, but I think the amount of activity that can happen in this game is enough to keep a medium size map active long after it is fully built out.

Plus I like the idea that we have the option to create solo maps and still be able to enjoy the global market of the game.

Furthermore, Maxis announced that this SimCity was going to be a reboot way back when they first showed gameplay back in E3 2012.

I know it's not Sim City 5 and I know it's a reboot and a different game.

I just think that the name is misleading, anyone who played past Sim City titles will expect something similar.

Since that is not the case Maxis should have called this game Sim City Online, everyone then would have known what to expect.

I know it's not Sim City 5 and I know it's a reboot and a different game.

I just think that the name is misleading, anyone who played past Sim City titles will expect something similar.

Since that is not the case Maxis should have called this game Sim City Online, everyone then would have known what to expect.

That would have counted against the game because of the negative blowback from The Sims Online.

Personally, the name is just fine for me, because they've publicized the online aspect well enough.

I am actually liking this game so far, the idea of bringing in a "market" for the cities to run on will add a new layer to city building. Currently CS4, you build a city and when you finish with a part of your city it is done. I hate that when I am working on a city and I have basically built out my downtown that it becomes boring and just something to look at that doesn't do anything.

I like the idea of being able to create a living, breathing city that is effected by outside markets, that can produce goods or tourism.

I would like to see subways and highways added to the game, but I will say when I use a medium size map in CS4, the highway plays a small part in it as well as the subway, which is something the streetcar/light rail could easily replace for me. Also with subways, it is looking like this is a very visual game and with subways being underground there is no visual, I would love to see them use Glassbox to create a visual underground so that we could have full control over subways and subway lines to best build routes and stations, even having something where you could have a station connect to multiple points in an area so that several points along a street or several streets could have access to one station.

I do wish they went with the large maps at least, but I think the amount of activity that can happen in this game is enough to keep a medium size map active long after it is fully built out.

Plus I like the idea that we have the option to create solo maps and still be able to enjoy the global market of the game.

This. Solo maps sounds great especially if done on the whole region map. I also like your subway visualization and mutlipoint routing idea. But only if the map is large enough.

I bought SC4 the day it came out, plain vanilla no mod no Rush Hour SC4... and you know what? Except for highways, it was GREAT! It still is. Considering the only real RH addition I use is highways, the game itself is still leagues beyond what we will get with the new SC.

Considering it will be the original classic SimCity meets The Sims and not an actual continuation of the series, many of us believe EA is going in the wrong direction. They are going smaller scale and forced online as if this was some Facebook game. They need to be using the looks, agents and expandability they have with the new SC but building on the expansive technical system already available with SC4.

We were hoping for SC4 with much newer graphics and a few things expanded.... instead what we are getting is the base classic SimCity brought into the 21st Century. Plop a few roads, plop basic R C or I, plop some services and watch it run. Fill up a map save it and start again. All while talking with your buddies or random people. I don't want people spamming mne with chat or service requests while I am busy building my city, these games already have enough things to watch out for without having requests for connection to my city or region or trade resources or whatever.

Edited by Screwballl  

The new "sim city" is going to be a big joke.. like a parody of what sim city is supposed to be..

Graphics don't make the game any better, and if they did, this new "sim city" still looks like it was from LAST generation, with an art style that suggests that nobody is taking this game seriously enough.

I bought SC4 the day it came out, plain vanilla no mod no Rush Hour SC4... and you know what? Except for highways, it was GREAT! It still is. Considering the only real RH addition I use is highways, the game itself is still leagues beyond what we will get with the new SC.

Considering it will be the original classic SimCity meets The Sims and not an actual continuation of the series, many of us believe EA is going in the wrong direction. They are going smaller scale and forced online as if this was some Facebook game. They need to be using the looks, agents and expandability they have with the new SC but building on the expansive technical system already available with SC4.

We were hoping for SC4 with much newer graphics and a few things expanded.... instead what we are getting is the base classic SimCity brought into the 21st Century. Plop a few roads, plop basic R C or I, plop some services and watch it run. Fill up a map save it and start again. All while talking with your buddies or random people. I don't want people spamming mne with chat or service requests while I am busy building my city, these games already have enough things to watch out for without having requests for connection to my city or region or trade resources or whatever.

What exactly makes SC4 leagues beyond this game?

What exactly makes SC4 leagues beyond this game?

What doesn't?

The ability to place zoning how we want and not forced into what the game puts there based on the roadway its next to. Its just not realistic. For example my local city has decent sized apartments next to what would be considered low capacity roads in the game, just as there are low density houses and businesses next to a 6 lane (3 each way) avenue.

A range of map sizes.

A range of region sizes

Regions that can be as sparse or populated as we want.

Terraforming (was available from day 1 with the original SC4)

Expansive technical information that could show as much or little as you wanted. We could go in and adjust funding and handle ordinances and get details on buildings and road traffic, we had full access to all the information. Now we just watch Sims walk and drive around without any technical numbers as to how many. We won't know if a building or school or road is full until after the game tells us it is.

Ability to adjust funding for individual service buildings (not just an on/off button like the new SC)

and then after RH:

Highways.

Subways

Wide avenues

Expansive Modding

Edited by Screwballl