Sign in to follow this  
ollysteph

Zoning residential areas by income

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Greetings,

Is it possible to zone a residential area based on imcome level?

Its just I would like to keep rich and poor apart. I'm fed up with mansions springing up in my sprawling ghetto.

Hey, i'm a realist,

Is there a mod which prodives this function? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers.

Greetings,

Is it possible to zone a residential area based on imcome level?

Its just I would like to keep rich and poor apart. I'm fed up with mansions springing up in my sprawling ghetto.

Hey, i'm a realist,

Is there a mod which prodives this function? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers.

As I know, zone residential, commercial, and industrial based on wealth level is impossible and the only thing you can do is zone them based on their density level.

But, you still capable to specializing the area that you will zone. Look at the tax, if you want to make a ghetto area, than you could lower the tax for R$ and rise the tax for R$$ and R$$$. You could control the wealth level that will grow using tax. You also capable to make an area full of big mansions by lower the R$$$ tax and rise both R$ and R$$ demand.

If I understand correctly, wealthy sims like to drive and rarely take mass transit. So you could try removing roads from your ghetto areas and build only subways, bus stops and light rail in the poor neighborhoods.

Remove all things (schools etc.) from the ghetto, historical everything, and add I-D.

That will do it. Air pollution is especially good at keeping wealthy Sims away; a few waste to energy plants can do wonders for a neighborhood.

If you want to kill the mansions without a mod all you need to do is zone 2 x 1 lots rather than 1 x 2. If you zone one side of the block and wait for it to grow before zoning the other half, you will not get any lots merged even to 2 x 2. It is tedious, meticulous work, best run at Turtle rate.

You might want to pick up some more small lots from the STEX. Works just fine. See:

packedR.jpg

This topic makes me want to really attempt to do this. I had given up on trying to make a realistic neighborhood. Around my town anyway there are clear differences in neighborhood income ranges. High end apartments with nice houses around them, older neighborhoods with decent sized houses kinda middle class, and then area's with box houses and low rent apartments. does anyone have a picture of a successful implementation of it? I've always felt it was theoretically possible, but I've always failed miserably.

There is a way. Its annoying to set up, but once you have it its really good. What you do, is you set up different wealths based on lot sizes. For instance, using the lot editor you can place all R$$$ mansions on 3x3 lots, and all low wealth and medium wealth houses on 1x2 lots or 2x2 lots. This way, when you want mansions you simply zone 3x3 lots (using ctrl) and when you want low and mid wealth, you zone 1x2 and no mansions can grow on it.

I currently have a set up of all high wealth being on 2x3 lots, all low wealth being on 2x2 lots and mid wealth being on a combination of 2x3 and 2x2 lots. This way, low and high wealth houses never come in contact with each other.

I have also found that if a R$$$ develops in a lot that if you bulldoze it, usually a R$ building will develop immediately following (assuming the lot did not convert to a 4x? lot and R$ demand is high enough). Once the R$ develops then mark it historical to prevent it from redeveloping into R$$ or R$$$. It is kind of a pain, but it is one way to get a consistent looking 'hood'.