Sign in to follow this  
citiesxlfan42

SC4 Computer Switch-over

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello!

So...I play Sim City 4 (with a googleload of plugins) on my home computer. My home computer is on the fritz, on its last legs, etc. I want to switch Sim City over to my laptop, so I can actually play it. How should I do so? IS there a way to do so? I'm guessing its not as simple as copying/pasting folders into my laptop with a hard drive. Any help would be wonderful, thanks!

citiesxlfan42

I did the same once, and actually, it is just copy pasting your plugins and regions folders.

You just can't copypaste the whole game, so you need to re-install it.

Then copy the plugins folder and paste it on your new computer, do the same with the regions.

I needed to re-install the NAM and RHW and some related add-ons as well, but that's no big deal, all other plugins work fine.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you so much, I appreciate that. I can take care of that then almost on a large jump drive. : P Will I need to reinstall every plug-in with an installer, such as SimGoober's work and Deadwoods' work?

Yep its easy to keep all your cities and plugins, I have SC4 on my old laptop... I built a new desktop as the laptop was struggling to cope with processor intensive tasks without getting mega hot (I didn't want to fry the motherboard lol). I simply copied my plugins/regions over to the PC and that's it done. In fact today I have been working on my plugins at work (slow day) so I have been transferring my plugins from laptop (I took it to work)-PC and back again with no problems :-).

Just one question though do you still have the game cds? As its easy to copy your saves and plugins but I'm not sure you can just copy the whole game and expect it to work without probs though.

Thank you so much, I appreciate that. I can take care of that then almost on a large jump drive. : P Will I need to reinstall every plug-in with an installer, such as SimGoober's work and Deadwoods' work?

The NAM and related components are pretty much the only things you need to worry about reinstalling. Everything else should be good to just copy over.

use windows back-up to back-up all files and create a system image onto an external drive (if applicable) re-install SC4 onto your laptop then transfer all files from the external drive onto the laptop and all your mods should be placed back in their original positions on the laptop from the desktop providing you are using the same operating system (windows 7 to windows7, etc.) personally i use memeo instant back-up http://www.memeo.com/en/instant-backup/features/ for backing up all data files. it's a great program that back-ups anything you ever put onto your computer. even if you delete a file from your system memeo will make a copy and you can put it back at anytime. i've had to put everything back several times when changing out laptops and that is my method

The only real requirement is a fresh install. You can then copy your entire <user>/<documents>/SimCity 4 structure across without change. Unless you have a plugin that affects the system structure or the registry, it is just a cold copy.

• Original Poster
  • I almost forgot, I am going from XP on the desktop to Windows 7 on my laptop...again, does that change everything? I'm guessing it doesn't, as data is data no matter what operating system, but just checking. I have years of work in Sim City, don't want to lose it. Thanks so much!

citiesxlfan42 (who, ironically, isn't really a fan of that game)

The only other thing you might have to do is change your command line (short cut target) to accommodate your new machine. You should be aware, if you are going from a single to multiple core processor, of the tendency to crash that can be ameliorated by the use of the option -CPUcount:1.

If your new machine has a new HD monitor that is not 4:3 you should also consider using the custom resolution options.

I almost forgot, I am going from XP on the desktop to Windows 7 on my laptop...again, does that change everything? I'm guessing it doesn't, as data is data no matter what operating system, but just checking. I have years of work in Sim City, don't want to lose it. Thanks so much!

for the plugins not so much since it's data but a fresh install would be highly recommended since the registries while similar will have differences. should it work merely copying your system image from XP to Win7 ? in theory yes but to be safe a fresh install is highly recommended

Even on my Linux box, when I change to a new (beta) version, I do a fresh install instead of just copying the wine prefix, which could be done since it includes all the registry details. Changing the software base is fraught with little traps that you can avoid this way.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

I almost forgot, I am going from XP on the desktop to Windows 7 on my laptop...again, does that change everything? I'm guessing it doesn't, as data is data no matter what operating system, but just checking. I have years of work in Sim City, don't want to lose it. Thanks so much!

A Nonny Moose already told you about the -cpucount:1 target command line parameter, but I'd also like to add that you will probably want to run the game in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode, as well as consider using software rendering instead of hardware. I don't quite understand why, but more RAM and an upgraded OS don't always equal smoother operation for the game. So if you encounter any lag after reinstalling to your laptop, give those suggestions a try.

• Original Poster
  • I may have to...because a) Good news! It actually worked fine after being transferred...the first time. b) The bad news...now its crashing and everything's out of line.