Sign in to follow this  
JSalzke

SimCity 4 YouTube Playthrough!

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi guys,

In anticipation for the new SimCity to come out I've decided to make a gaming channel on YouTube and start playing SimCity 4 again! The first video went up today, it's of about 30 minutes of gameplay, but I've sped it up so it's about 3x faster, making the video only about 10 minutes long.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of it! Check it out.

Edited by JSalzke  

I think the term "playthrough" is a bit odd when used in context with a game that has no end, no levels, and hence no actual "through" up to any point where you could say "I did it, I won/finished". :P

In terms of the video itself, instead of speeding through everything I actually prefer to see interesting and/or representative scenes in real time, and then maybe a cut to the point when the rest of the (similar/repetitive) work has been done and the next interesting scene comes.

However, I know that this would involve a lot more cutting work, so feel free to proceed as you please - it's your project, after all, and it's supposed to be fun for you. :)

ps: bridges carry electricity across water so no need to place power lines across the water but place them at the first tile of the bridge on each side

I figured that out one day but still like putting power lines across water anyway when i build small towns, its more of a visual thing even though i know the function doesnt need to be there.

• Original Poster
  • Oh cool, I didn't realise that bridges could carry electricity, but I'll probably keep the power lines there because I want it to look like the electricity is going across, just a visual thing I guess.

As for how long I'll be playing for... I'll probably keep it going with 1 or 2 videos a week until I get my hands on the new SimCity, and then I still might make a couple more videos of SimCity 4 if I'm in the middle of something or just want to finish something off.

I might slow down some important parts, but the majority will stay at this speed.

Thank you everyone for your input!

• Original Poster
  • the brick layout style is really cool, maybe i'll use it in some of my city layouts

Glad you like it! I'd love to see it if you use it. I'm considering using it for when I get to some bigger cities.

Glad you like it! I'd love to see it if you use it. I'm considering using it for when I get to some bigger cities.

it's not that easy watching the video. but what are the dimensions of those?

• Original Poster
  • Glad you like it! I'd love to see it if you use it. I'm considering using it for when I get to some bigger cities.

it's not that easy watching the video. but what are the dimensions of those?

Good question, I don't know how many tiles, I just make them using the cost it is to make them, so using streets they're $95 long and $50 wide, from the corner each time.

• Original Poster
  • Here's the next video in the series, this one's a little bit slower, but I still manage to double the population in my small little city by building some medium density residential, upgrading some of my services, and expanding a couple of things.

I've also edited this one a bit more, so it slows down when some more important things are happening, like when I had a fire in my quaint little city, so let me know how you like that as well if you could, really appreciate it guys! And make sure you subscribe on YouTube if you like the kind of stuff I'm doing here! Really helps.

Edited by JSalzke  

Thanks for the vids, i'm thinking maybe wait a little longer on the popups so when it's played back at a higher speed, we can still read them (those of us who never really played SC4)

Also, the quality of the 2nd vid wasn't high enough, first one was better.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the vids, i'm thinking maybe wait a little longer on the popups so when it's played back at a higher speed, we can still read them (those of us who never really played SC4)

Also, the quality of the 2nd vid wasn't high enough, first one was better.

Yeah that's a good point, I might do that in future videos with the popups, might just skip over the stupid ones though.

As for the quality, I'm sure sure why it's like that, I was fairly sure I recorded them with the same settings but it came out like this, I couldn't change it after the fact so I just had to live with it, future videos should be better video quality wise though.

• Original Poster
  • I've just uploaded episode 3, I still haven't fixed the quality issues, but now I know what's causing them so they will be all fixed up in the next video. This one's pretty slow, just growing the city a little and putting down some public transport.

Edited by JSalzke