6,487 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

This is pretty awesome! One of the many superb details that I noticed is that the original Maxis scraper can't hold a candle to your prop.

Speaking of scrapers, though, I noticed the LODs of the two diagonally parked scrapers interfere with one another in the 4th picture (top right corner). Just a tiny observation; things like that are so easily overlooked. Happened to me more than once, too...

55 minutes ago, Simmer2 said:

SM2 Air Purifier Facility

Looks very believable with the air scoops!  I can imagine hearing the deep-throated, heavy-duty vacuum cleaner sounds that might emanate from such a plant as it sucks in the polluted air!  I like it! 

This will make a great bookend to the GooberGen Air Purification lot, with your lot fitting in very well aesthetically in any industrial areas, while SimGoober's lot is a better fit aesthetically in I-HT or non-industrial areas.

Just to complete the "story" (if there is a story), have you given any thought to what the "byproduct" created by cleaning the air might be for your facility (i.e. what does the gunk that gets pulled out of the air get turned into)?  It might give you some inspiration to possibly expand this concept down the line sometime when you find yourself with absolutely nothing else to do (which from the looks of what you've been up to lately, won't occur any time soon!).

Tim

@nycsc4 : love the waterfront ; I'm always glad to see the goold old Peg waterfront pieces -- looking so right after all this time ! (and the WMP ferry looks good in there too ).

Question : What are the slightly angled buildings in picture 8 ?

5 minutes ago, tariely said:

@nycsc4 : love the waterfront ; I'm always glad to see the goold old Peg waterfront pieces -- looking so right after all this time ! (and the WMP ferry looks good in there too ).

Question : What are the slightly angled buildings in picture 8 ?

I'm assuming you mean these:
q3ZtDEY.png

If so, I have no clue.  I didn't even know I had them until I zoned a 6X6 residential block and it popped up.  Unfortunately in game they don't even have a name, the query is just blank.

10 hours ago, nRVOUS said:

Just when I was thinking "if the query is blank, it might be something Japanese" *:) (I've encountered that before) and I was going to look in my Japanese stash, as I might well have them ! I won't have to look too long now, thanks for the shortcut !

@scotttbarry : are those relots still only growable ? I did relot one commercial, just to get the feel of it *:) and it works well, I can plop it with the lotplop cheat, but I would like it to be grow AND plop.  I guess I will have to tackle the "How to make a growable into a ploppable lot" part of the Reader (or PIM ?) readme !

OMG, @scotttbarry, these relots are absolutely gorgeous! *:golly: Very tasteful and realistic prop arrangements. Now, I've made quite a few lots myself, but even so it never ceases to amaze me just how much the lot design can influence the overall impression of a building. Amazing!

I keep saying it: we have too few lotters! By now there are bazillions of great building models - both Maxis and custom! - to choose from, but the Maxis lots are flat out miserable by today's standards (whereas most models are still really nice IMO), and many custom lots also leave room for improvement.

Have you taken building families into account, by the way? You know, depending on tileset ativated, you may just find a different mansion model on that lot, and sometimes things don't line up well for all buildings that the lot can accommodate.

@tariely: Or you could simply make a growable and use the buildingplop cheat provided by the Extra Cheats DLL to plop anything - without menu clutter or hassle with icons. Of course, that won't be an alternative if you explicitly want the item in question to be selectable from the menu.

4 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

@tariely: Or you could simply make a growable and use the buildingplop cheat provided by the Extra Cheats DLL to plop anything - without menu clutter or hassle with icons. Of course, that won't be an alternative if you explicitly want the item in question to be selectable from the menu.

that's what I want , alas. And especially because I Must Learn *:ohyes:.( Using the lotplop cheat -- I do... -- can be is a hassle in itself.)

And I totally concur re relotting our vast stash of excellent buildings. Many just need some TLC.  I've been boringly trying with parks, plazas and, currently, passenger rail stations, and I might assault churches later. My talents are not really up to snuff, but eh, I try to learn -- and most of all, it's FUN !*:party:

@T Wrecks Thank you! Yeah I agree the maxis models are pretty bad but wanted to get as much variety as possible when it comes time to building the giant high wealth neighborhood I had in mind (will be based on Beverly Hills).  So as far as I know, I believe I have taken families into account - I made standalone versions using the Pim to create new desc files and created the lots from those. Also - yes - I can't wait to crack into custom models the community has made.  After finishing off relotting both Maxis and custom mansions next thing I had planned was to lot a custom recreation of Rodeo Drive (aka Golden Triangle), Los Angeles' and even perhaps America's most opulent shopping center and already have a few really cool low-rise models I was planning on using.