Moerp

SC4 Devotion: Official Advice and Site Information Thread

Cyclone Boom

Note: This is the official Simtropolis support thread for SC4Devotion related technical issues.

Please see recent given advice/solutions first before posting a new concern.
For issues regarding registering an account on the site, you may wish to post here or contact @Tarkus who is a Site Admin over there.

Thanks! *:)

Message added by Cyclone Boom

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I've tried to made a SC4 Devotion account, but I can't activate it. In the E-mail there's the activation link and the activation code, but when I'm click on the link, I just get to the Forum-Site and I still can't log in. The same at SimPeg. Can anybody help me?

I've tried to made a SC4 Devotion account, but I can't activate it. In the E-mail there's the activation link and the activation code, but when I'm click on the link, I just get to the Forum-Site and I still can't log in. The same at SimPeg. Can anybody help me?

Does your email client (gmail, hotmail or something like MS Outlook) have the email flagged and links blocked/deemed unsafe? Sometimes when this happens for me when I forget my SC4D password the "reset password" link just leads to the forum. Try marking the email safe (i.e. it will allow you to click links without prompting you they may be unsafe) and this may work, is usually does for me.

Hope this helps, good luck getting your account sorted out.

• Original Poster
  • I've tried to made a SC4 Devotion account, but I can't activate it. In the E-mail there's the activation link and the activation code, but when I'm click on the link, I just get to the Forum-Site and I still can't log in. The same at SimPeg. Can anybody help me?

Does your email client (gmail, hotmail or something like MS Outlook) have the email flagged and links blocked/deemed unsafe? Sometimes when this happens for me when I forget my SC4D password the "reset password" link just leads to the forum. Try marking the email safe (i.e. it will allow you to click links without prompting you they may be unsafe) and this may work, is usually does for me.

Hope this helps, good luck getting your account sorted out.

Thank you very much, now it works! :D

If you are not sure how to mark an e-mail as safe, it's always a good idea to right-click the link, select "Copy link location" (or similar wording, depending on your browser and OS) from the context menu, and paste the link into the address bar of your browser. This is also good to see what URL the link actually points to (it could be spoofed - not so much in case of SC4D, but generally speaking!). Once the link has been entered in the address bar, simply hit [RETURN] to confirm, and your browser will take you to wherever the link leads, regardless of your e-mail program.

I can't get an activation email either..

And it's not in my spam/junk folder either.

-James You

I've located your forum account and have manually activated it.  Do you have a LEX account that needs activation as well?

-Tarkus

Thank you very much Tarkus!!!

I think I should be good, Will let you know!!

Cheers!!

Hi Tarkus.  Can you help me with activating my SC4 devotion account?  I registered two days ago.  I have not received an e-mail to activate my account.  It doesn't look like my e-mail considers it junk mail.  :-(  

Thanks

Is anybody else unable to register on SC4D forums or their dedicated csxlex downloads? I registered like 5 hours ago, was told I'd receive an email with my activation link but I didn't. Not even in my spam folder.

Is anybody else unable to register over there?

Give it 24 hours, the internet isn't always as fast as it should be. Also, depending on your e-mail provider, it's possible that some items flagged as spam by filters may not make it even to the Spam folder. Anyhow, if things aren't working after 24h have passed, we (the SC4D staff) can look into the problem for you.

Sorry where is the promise? You'll not get far with that attitude... You posted an update 3 hours ago and it hasn't been actioned yet. Well none of this community stuff is a paid-service, it's run by volunteers who help run things in their free time. Now I'm aware of it, I'll pass the matter on to those who deal with such problems (i.e. not me). It may take a while for a response, but we will look into it.

well, You shouldn't tell someone to post after 24 hours if they still have a problem and not expect to reply if they do post. It's not polite.

Can you please hurry? Thank you.

I am lacking some dependencies that are over at SC4D that I need to download. Thanks

4 hours ago, ReshiramLover said:

well, You shouldn't tell someone to post after 24 hours if they still have a problem and not expect to reply if they do post. It's not polite.

Whoa there...

You posted at 2:26pm that you had still not got the e-mail. You then follow that up at 6:07pm, because I hadn't responded yet. Whereupon I came back to you within 15minutes. Do you know what's not polite? Harassing people to get what you want, without due consideration for the fact that people might be busy. In short, you waited less than 4 hours for a response, I know plenty of customer service centres where you pay for worse service!

Once again let me clarify, this isn't a business or service you are paying for. Those who manage the site are a friendly and helpful bunch, but we have lives away from the community, which often come first. You must be patient and they will get back to you when they have free time to do so.

For your information, I sent a PM to the Admin team at SC4D yesterday evening. I also made it clear previously, that you might not get a response right away:

On 20/04/2017 at 6:20 PM, rsc204 said:

I'll pass the matter on to those who deal with such problems (i.e. not me). It may take a while for a response, but we will look into it.

So in short, I've done everything I said I would do, without huge delays on my part. So by accusing me of being rude, you've just annoyed a site moderator (at SC4D) in the process of trying to get your request actioned. I happen to know the guy dealing with it is very busy right now, that means it could literally be days before he has time to help you.

I politely suggest you tone down your attitude here and have more reasonable expectations of people. Because the behaviour you are showing suggests we may not want you as a member at SC4D. Which perhaps didn't occur to you, but being privately run and not for profit, we can pick and choose who we allow to use our free resources. No one wants to spend their free time helping ungrateful and impolite people for no reward. So maybe think twice before you start complaining, it might backfire as opposed to speed things up.

SC4D Admin here.  I have manually activated the account on the LEX, so you should be able to log in now.  Apologies for it taking a couple days, but I've been working overtime at two jobs this week, which means I've barely been home (aside from sleeping), while also preparing for an out-of-state trip, and have only just now seen this thread.

Manual account activation requires Admin privileges, and the rest of the Admin team has been spread a bit thin with real life as well.  Of the other three besides myself, one is building up a law practice, one is finishing up his master's degree, and the other is in the process of starting grad school.  The site owner is also quite busy in his life outside of the SC4 world, and except for emergency situations (i.e. database and server issues) and site finances, has largely left operations of the site to the four of us.  It may, for the foreseeable future, take us a few days to handle manual activations for LEX and/or SC4D Forum accounts.  We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but thank those who are patient with us, as we try to balance our real world obligations with our continued, long-running passion for this community.

-Tarkus

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By CorinaMarie
        Introduction to Simtropolis

Image created by @Cyclone Boom using:  Simtropolis Sign by Ceafus 88, and MYOS Make Your Own Sign by jbizzle.

Hiya! We're so glad you dropped in to see us.
        Simtropolis is primarily a site for people who love City Building games. We have major forums for SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines, and SimCity (2013) as well as a few others in the gamer topics. Our members are friendly, courteous, and helpful and range in skill levels from beginners to technical gurus.  The forums are where we discuss all manner of city building ideas. Whether you are a player or a custom content creator (or both) we have places ideally suited for your needs. If you haven't signed up yet to be a member, how about dropping by our New Member Registration Page?
        We also have the SimTropolis EXchange which is our files section containing (literally) thousands of files to improve on the basic games. These include bug fixes, maps, textures to change the terrain-related aspects, lots, buildings, props, game altering mods, and more. These are available for download by members and guests alike. (However, members are not presented with any ads.)
        Now, of course, we do have some easy to abide by rules you'll want to read in the Site Guidelines and for custom content creators and users in the STEX Code of Conduct. Be sure to check those out because they apply in full force to everyone here whether you read them or not.
        Ok. Have you registered yet?
        No?
        I'll wait.
        Great! Now that you are a member you can Introduce Yourself Here.
        And here's how I've laid out the rest of this introductory thread:
        Basics of Using the Forum Software Overview of the Forums Overview of the STEX Overview of the Omnibus You can click those links above or just scroll down as each one is in its own separate post in this thread.
        Also, if you have any issue come up which you feel is best discussed in private, feel free to send a Private Message to one of our Staff Members. Tip: Look over on the right side of that page to see which of us has been most recently active. That doesn't guarantee we didn't just log off 2 seconds after you view the list, but it does increase the odds you'll get a quicker reply. Do keep in mind even if we are online we cannot always respond immediately as we may be working on another important issue.
        I hope you find this site as enjoyable as I do.
        -Cori
      • By matias93
        Hola! Nos encanta de que hayas venido a vernos.  
        Simtropolis es sobre todo un sitio para la gente que ama los juegos de simulación urbana. Tenemos importantes foros para SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines y SimCity (2013), así como algunos otros en la sección de Temas de Jugadores (Gamer Topics). Nuestros miembros son amables, corteses y serviciales, y van de principiantes a gurús técnicos. Los foros son donde discutimos todo tipo de ideas de construcción de ciudades. Si juegas, o creas contenido personalizado (o ambos) tenemos secciones adecuadas para tus necesidades. Si aún no te has hecho una cuenta, ¿por qué no hacerla ahora?
        También tenemos el SimTropolis EXchange, que es nuestra sección de archivos que contiene (literalmente) miles de archivos para mejorar los juegos básicos. Estos incluyen correcciones de errores, mapas, texturas para cambiar el terreno, lotes (sitios), edificios, accesorios, mods, y más. Estos están disponibles para su descarga tanto por miembros como por invitados. (Aunque los miembros no tienen que ver publicidad)
        Ahora, por supuesto, tenemos algunas reglas fáciles de respetar que querrás leer en las Reglas Guías del Sitio y en el Código de Conducta de STEX. Asegúrate de revisarlas en detalle porque aplican en toda su fuerza a todo el mundo aquí, sin importar si las leyó o no.
        De acuerdo. ¿Ya te hiciste una cuenta?
        ¿No?
        Esperaré.
        ¡Estupendo! Ahora que ya la tienes, puedes Presentarte Aquí.
        Así sigue este hilo introductorio:
        Conceptos básicos del uso del software del foro Visión general de los foros Descripción general de STEX Visión general del Omnibus Puedes hacer clic en los enlaces de arriba o simplemente ir bajando, ya que cada uno está en su propio mensaje independiente en este hilo.
        Además, si tienes algún problema que crees mejor discutir en privado, no dudes en enviar un mensaje privado a uno de nuestros miembros del Staff. Sugerencia: Mira en el lado derecho de esa página para ver cuál de nosotros ha estado activo recientemente. Eso no garantiza que no acabamos de cerrar sesión 2 segundos después de que revisaste la lista, pero aumenta las probabilidades que obtendrás una respuesta más rápida. Ten en cuenta que, incluso si estamos en línea, no siempre podemos responder de inmediato, ya que podemos estar trabajando en otro tema importante.
        Espero que encuentres este sitio tan agradable como yo.
        -@CorinaMarie (traducido por @matias93)
      • By Cyclone Boom
        Site Upgrade Announcement   
        I'm pleased to announce @Dirktator has confirmed that today, Simtropolis is scheduled to receive a significant site upgrade. In the process we'll be incrementing the site's version to ST9.0. The latest major update to the IPS Suite will be applied to bring a whole host of new and exciting features.
        Most notably:

Reactions This will give more flexibility to describe why you like a content item.
        It'll allow Reactions to be tailored to best suit our community, such as with custom sets & icons.
          Recommended Replies A way for helpful, informative or useful replies to be highlighted inside a thread.
        Will be a way of drawing attention to popular posts, including those providing answers to the OP's question.
          Content Messages Allow announcements or important info to be seen within a content item.
        Uses may include thread guidelines, reminders to follow, or even useful info for reference (e.g. links or images).
          Promoting Content A range of possibilities to improve the accessibility of content. STEX files, CJs, forum posts, the whole lot.
        Social media options can be explored, such as to connect with the site's Twitter as a content stream.
          Fluid Forum View Optionally view the forum via a topic list or grid mode instead of traditional categories.
        This is configurable for all users via a toggle, so it's possible to easily switch between the views.
          Editor Uploading Improvements Simplified ability to attach images and files to a post.
        Now possible to drag & drop into specific locations, without needing to insert manually.
          Gallery Improvements A range of enhancements for uploading Gallery images.
        Usability improvements also introduced for albums, and also the navigation with the image lightbox display.
          City Journals Sidebar CJ authors can optionally add a sidebar with information about their entries.
        This uses the post editor, so text or other media can be added. HTML access available on request.
          Letter Profile Photos The default avatar replaced with a random coloured background, featuring the 1st character of a username.
        This will only affect users who haven't changed their avatar from the anonymous grey silhouette.  
        There's also the Clubs feature, which will restore a similar functionality to the old Groups. The advantage here is it's integrated and built into the core software, whereas previously it was a 3rd party plugin that was made incompatible. We won't be rolling out the Clubs immediately, but we have some ideas on how they can be used more effectively this time around, since they'll allow more options.

Plus a visual overhaul and an assortment of other minor changes.
        Along with a few other surprises in store coming soon, so watch out for those too...

Expected Downtime   
        Since this is a larger update than usual, the site may be unavailable for a slightly longer period. It's scheduled anytime from 12pm noon EDT / 4pm UTC onwards (view clock), and we anticipate this will be no more than 1 hour.
        Should the downtime be prolonged, please check our Twitter feed for progress updates.

Bugs & Stability   
        The new version has been released in a client beta for several weeks, meaning stability has been tried & tested. However as is common with any new software product, there's a chance for undetected bugs to crop up when applied in unique environments. Please bear with us if there are any instabilities to start with, and report them below or in the bugs thread.

Feedback   
        We'd love to hear ways the site and the above features can be improved or best implemented. If you've any ideas feel free to share them below. We'll also be opening threads specifically to gain feedback on specific aspects within the next several weeks.

Thanks everyone, and we hope you enjoy the new site!
      • By SecretMbr_735754
        As a lot of files for SC4, dependencies and information links exist between Simtropolis and SC4 Devotion and the LEX, I noticed that no mention has been made yet here that Norton Antivirus is reporting the site a potential threat and blocking it.  There are only 2 older files that are causing the warning.  Norton Antivirus flags entire sites for risky files only because they are rarely downloaded.   The site administrator explains the situation in the following thread on SC4Devotion and also explains that the 2 older files are clear of any virus on the Norton warning page that comes up when you try to access the site. 
        http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17768.msg517897
      • By Hamish

The Nominations are now CLOSED!

The greatest time of year has arrived, the Trixies are upon us and the nominations have officially opened. The Trixies are a celebration of all types of community contributions, ranging from STEX uploads to CJs, all the way to forum posts. It's the perfect opportunity to celebrate all the amazing content shared over the past two years, and give a special 'thanks' to your fellow members.
        We last held the Trixies for the year 2014, so understandably, we have a lot to catch up on. This year things are little different. We won't be holding just one ceremony, but two at the same time: One each for 2015 and 2016. Since we last held the Trixies Simtropolis has been through a lot of change, which unfortunately means we’ve had to change the way were conducting the nominations this year. However, we think these changes will make it easier for you guys to nominate members, and continue to nominate throughout the nominations period.
        The biggest difference is that you will be posting your nominations on the forums. Don’t worry though, no one apart from the admins will be able to see your nominations, just like it was before! Let’s go through how this is all going to work.

Nominations Closed on April 5th

How To Nominate
        As we’ve mentioned before, nominating members for awards will be a little different this year. Read the guides below to know how you are going to be nominating members for awards this year, and take note of some slight rule changes which will allow you to nominate members for multiple awards.

Where To Nominate
        This year, all your nominations will be submitted as posts in the forum linked below.
        Submit Trixie Nominations Here!
        This forum behaves differently from every other forum on Simtropolis. No one else can see any of the posts or topics you create within it. In lieu of our traditional nominations system, which is now incompatible with ST, this will be where all of your nominations are submitted this year. This comes with some great benefits though! You’ll be able to see all of your nominations at all times, so you can remember what you have nominated and who you have nominated, and you’ll be able to edit these at any time just in case you nominated someone for the wrong award.
        It may feel a bit weird at first, but trust us that only admins will see your nominations. 

Submitting and Formatting your Nominations
        Since everything has changed, how will you be submitting nominations? Its easy, just follow our guide below!

1. Firstly, take a look through the List of Trixie Awards for 2015 - 2016.

2. You’ll first find an award which you want to nominate someone for and copy its award title.

3. From there navigate to the Submit Trixie Nominations Here! forum and create a new topic.

4. Paste the award title into the topic title box, and add a couple of tags:
        The name of the member you are nominating. The year you are nominating them for.
        5. Then in your post, please include the following information:
        The Title of the award. Who you are nominating. The Year you are nominating this award for. A short Description as to why you think they deserve this award.
        To help ensure you include these details, feel free to copy and paste the following template into your posts to match the guidelines:

Don’t forget to add this info for each of your nominations, or else they may not be counted.
        I’ll repeat these briefly below:
        Topic Title: The Award Title. Tags: Nominated member, and Year.
          Post Text: Award Title, Member Name, Year, Short Description.
        To submit another nomination, simply start another topic.

Ceremonies for both 2015 and 2016
        We last held the Trixies for the year 2014, and due to issues we weren’t able to open up the nominations last year for 2015’s content. During these nominations we invite you to nominate content from 2015 as well as 2016. In the end, we aren't just holding one ceremony, but two at the same time: One each for 2015 and 2016.
        During the run up to the nominations opening we’ve had a series of discussions, interviews, and retrospectives aiming to highlight content from 2015 and 2016 in the hopes that you won’t forget what has been created during those years.
        This is why it is important for you to distinguish what year you are nominating a member for.

Rule Changes
        This year we are making a slight change to how many times you can nominate a member. Traditionally you could only nominate any given member for one award. But this time, this rule is being expanded. It used to be that someone would only create amazing buildings, or only write beautiful CJs. However, now we have members who cover lots of different parts of the site, for the previous Trixies it was increasingly difficult to nominate them for just one award.
        This time we are making the change to allow you to nominate a member for up to 3 different awards in both 2015 and 2016. We hope that you submit multiple nominations for a single member to awards in different sections of the Trixies, but we aren't making that a specific rule as there are awards in sections which relate to very different skill sets. Use this new ability wisely...

Cities: Skylines in the Trixies
        Over the past two years we’ve seen the release of a new game which has swept Simtropolis, Cities: Skylines. In the past we’ve never had another city building game which made as much impact on our community as SimCity 4 originally did, so this is the first time the Trixies have had to accommodate another game. You’ll notice that most of the descriptions for awards no longer call out any specific game, that is because all of these awards are intended to be relatable to both games.
        When nominating, remember the great content created for both games these previous two years, rather than the content from a single game.

Quick FAQ
        Multiple or single threads for nominations?
        Posting each nomination in its own thread is preferred, as this helps with the processing.
        Really though, it's up to you. If posting in a single thread is easier for you to manage or edit, that's perfectly fine. At the end of nominations, the Llama Crew will attempt to count anything inside the forum.
          For both years, how many nominations per user?
        In each year, you may nominate any individual member up to 3 times.
        So this means for both 2015 & 2016 combined, you could nominate someone up to 6 times.
          Who can I nominate?
        Any Simtropolis user (member or staff) can be nominated for any award. The processing will determine whether a given user is eligible.
          How many custom "Ad Hoc" awards may I nominate?
        As many as you'd like!
        Feel free to be creative with the title & description if a default award isn't suitable for what you have in mind.
          Is there a limit to how many nominations I can submit?
        Yes, the sky.
        Final Words
        We hope you have a great Trixies...
        And remember, Nominate early and Nominate Often!