Sign in to follow this  
lightson

How does one correctly use the RHW neighbour connector?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

This is the current scenario, I have a strip of RHW up to the edge of the map. If I drag it towards the edge, I get the default option of having to connect it to a neigbouring city, and if I do so, I get two arrows above both lanes of the RHW pointing outward towards the neigbour. If I subsequently place the connector above the RHW, that tile of land disappears and nothing happens.

Obviously I'm missing something here. To all those familiar with RHW please enlighten me regarding this matter.

I using the RHW road with 3 lanes (don't remember what its called.

On another note, my game is right hand drive US version. Am I correct in placing RHW with the yellow lines on the outside rather than inside?

Also, if I change from right hand drive to left through various instructions that people have posted and reinstall NAM to LHD, does that mean my game has fully converted LHD mode? and thus, various mods designed specifically with RHD in mind would stop working?

Thanks in advance

Edited by lightson  

1a. Don't let the fact that you have an outward-pointing arrow deter you; There's nothing you can do about that, and it has no effect on NC functionality. It's what you get when overriding a network that's originally a single-tile two-way network.

1b. That's rather peculiar, and that's hard for me to wrap my head around without the aid of a picture (which is recommended to help with diagnosing problems).

1c. Are you using the NC Loop Connector that's supposed to be invisible upon plopping?

2. Which one? RHW-3 (a 2+1 road), 6S (the separable 6-lane highway) or the 6C (the non-separable version of the 6S)? RHW-3 requires no NC piece (needless to say), but the 6C and 6S do.

3. Yellow lines on the inside is the correct orientation,... Unless you live in Ireland.

4. Just installing the LHD version of the NAM does nothing except probably bring up a few problems. You need an LHD version of the game itself, and switching between one and the other is doable, but tricky (and somewhere on the forums whose link I cannot locate).

5. There's a whole article on RHW NCs in the RHW Readme. Did you not read that?

If I subsequently place the connector above the RHW, that tile of land disappears and nothing happens.

If you press the Tab button, the correct piece with the correct configuration will come around. Those invisible pieces are for connecting two parallel, one-way RHWs.

I using the RHW road with 3 lanes (don't remember what its called.

Like Ganaram said, we need to know which Three-Lane network you're using. Either RHW-6S or RHW-3.

On another note, my game is right hand drive US version. Am I correct in placing RHW with the yellow lines on the outside rather than inside?

Even if you want your game set in Ireland (or South Africa to my knowledge), it still won't work properly as traffic will be flowing in the wrong directions. With the default texture set, yellow lines go to the inside.

Also, if I change from right hand drive to left through various instructions that people have posted and reinstall NAM to LHD, does that mean my game has fully converted LHD mode? and thus, various mods designed specifically with RHD in mind would stop working?

It greatly depends. 90% of mods designed for RHD will continue to work, albeit not in the right way. Only car paths (They carry Cars, Busses and Freight Trucks) are flipped by the game automatically, every other transit type retains the same paths. This can result in stations with custom paths continuing to use their RHD paths, resulting in trains going on the wrong track on affected sections or trains not moving through affected sections.

Most of the time however, the game will continue to function normally, as long as you install the LHD versions of any transit mod you use.

Edited by jdenm8  

I also have trouble setting up the connections Which is why I don't use the RHW I just for the life of me cant figure out the correct steps in setting it up so that it will work 100%. Is there a kind soul out there would would make a tutorial with pictures?

Since folks don't seem to be taking the initiative to find the Readme, I'll bring the relevant part of the Readme here. When you finish reading it, you'll wonder why you needed a tutorial at all--it's that simple. :yes:

The Neighbor Connection functionality was completely overhauled as part of Version 4.0, and further improved in Version 4.1. Instead of needing to construct tricky (and visually-jarring) Loop Connectors on your RHW networks, a series of simple puzzle pieces was created which greatly simplify matters. These puzzle pieces can be found under the RHW Neighbor Connector Pieces button. The RHW-2 network, as before, does not require any special treatment, and Neighbor Connections can be built just as one would with the default Road network. All other RHW networks require the use of the Neighbor Connector Pieces.

There are two types of pieces involved in RHW Neighbor Connections: Network Pieces and Invisible Loop Connectors. To build the Neighbor Connection, build a Neighbor Connection through the normal draggable means with the network you wish to use.

rhwnc1.jpg

Please note that no matter how you drag the RHW to the edge, the default yellow Neighbor Connection will always be facing the same way, unlike Avenue or Maxis Highway Neighbor Connections.

rhwnc2.jpg

Then find the RHW Neighbor Connector Pieces button, and TAB through to find and place the appropriate Network Piece over each network tile that will be part of the Neighbor Connection, on the the game's default yellow Neighbor Connection arrows, simply lining up the white/yellow lines with your highway as appropriate:

rhwnc3.jpg

rhwnc4.jpg

If the two sides of your RHW are separated by one or more tiles, place the Invisible Loop Connectors in the median area right next to the edge of the city tile, filling the gap. The Invisible Loop Connectors, which look like a blue arrow with an "N" inside, when placed, will show up invisible, but you can easily locate them by hovering a query tool over top, which will cause an otherwise invisible "ghost model" with the blue "N" arrow to appear:

rhwnc5.jpg

Do not place the Invisible Loop Connectors directly over top of you network, as this is not what they were intended for and they will actually prevent your system from working. Due to how the pieces have to be set up, it is also possible you will see "spider cars" going down the edge of your city tile, and the paths will be draped over the edge of the city tile.

rhwnc6.jpg

For "Combined" ("C-type") networks, such as the RHW-6C and 8C, simply place the appropriate Neighbor Connector piece over top of the network at the edge of the city tile, and you're done!

rhwnc7.jpg

You can also build Neighbor Connections with RHWs that have separate Collector/Distributor Lanes or MIS Ramps that cross city tile boundaries, using the Invisible Loop Connectors, using the same method as outlined above.

Connections with only one carriageway, and traffic going in only one direction across a city tile border are not possible.

Additionally, this chart may be useful.

nc_diagram.png

-Tarkus

Edited by Tarkus  

Hey I know this thread hasn't been used for a while but I wanted to confirm something.  I currently am making a level 1 highway and there don't appear to be any neighbor connector pieces for this level and trying to use the ground  one just wipes the L1 tile and replaces it with an L0 one.  Is what I want to do actually possible or will I have to transition the highway to L0 or 2 to make a working network connection?