Sign in to follow this  
neurokirurgi

Discussion about Always-On Connection to Origin

1,352 posts in this topic Last Reply

But, didn't the mod support for SC4 come with the lauch of SC4 Rush Hour? (not the basic SC4, and maybe I'm wrong, but is what I remember)

I think we will have mod support, but some time later the game launch (or with a future expansion?)

(and sorry for my bad English)

Edited by LucasK336  

Didn't SC4 have no mod support at launch as well? Don't jump the gun just yet. They did say, right at the end of the article, that they're not idiots :uhm:.

Although the Origin requirement is a big disappointment.

Edited by Craig-Abcvs  

No discussion of piracy is allowed.

but no mods means no purchase.

The article clearly states that there are no mods at launch. I think we could wait a few months, could we not? I would much rather have them focus on finishing the game first, then release modding tools after.

“The reason people are still playing SimCity 4 almost ten years later is because the modding community essentially re-created it and filled it with new content and fixed bugs and made it as much of a hobby as it is a game. We’re very cognizant of that — we’re not idiots.”

And yes, there was no mod support straight out of the box for SimCity 4. No Lot Editor, no IE Reader, no SC4 Tool, no BAT for MAX or GMAX.

If the game is good enough upon release, people are going to take their time playing the vanilla and learning the mechanics and this new Glassbox engine. Did you really expect there to be as many mods useful mods as there are for SimCity 4 on day one? The mods we have now are an accumulation of nearly an entire decade of hard work.

The internet being a requirement thing is sort of a let down but is it really such a horrible thing? Most PC users are constantly connected to the internet. There's WiFi everywhere from coffee shops to air and rail terminals to even sometimes the planes and trains themselves. It'll be an inconvenience sometimes yes, but very often it won't be.

Edited by Yoshiisland  

I'm getting sick of people thinking that there will be no mods for this game.

SimCity 4 also had NO MOD SUPPORT when it was launched...

---

If modding would come later, I have a good feeling there would also be an offline mode. My speculation is that they are just trying to persuade the public to try online mode first..

Either way, as long as playing online is free (hell, make it free!), I'm still very much okay with it. I'm just sad for those people who can't be online all the time... But don't worry, hope is not lost, there is still time for change.

Edited by meowza  

Sim City 2013 is miserable and doomed project from first day ... :dead:

So the game is suddenly terrible because you have to be online. I don't see what the big deal is. We don't even know what the online functions are. It could just be for saving your city, who knows.

Got shot down by some but I could see this coming, I'm afraid EA are a terrible publisher now-a-days. Obsessed with forcing DRM on people I won't be able to play this as I live in a village in England, my internet reliability is shocking.

Edited by Craig-Abcvs  

Piracy discussion is not allowed.

People seem to forget that EA can and does shut down game related servers at their leisure. Just a few weeks ago they shut down servers for 5 games. When the game has run it's course and it's costing them too much to run a server they'll pull it and now what good is your game?

Origin is stupid. It's a "me too" product to compete and take market share from the superior/gamer-friendly Steam. Online Always is a fail and a forced way for you to participate in SimCity's global economy.

That said, I'm super excited for the game and will buy day 1 (if not pre-order).

Stop crying about mod support. It will come. Think about how much better SC4 was with Rush Hour. No mod support is not a reason to buy the game.

“The reason people are still playing SimCity 4 almost ten years later is because the modding community essentially re-created it and filled it with new content and fixed bugs and made it as much of a hobby as it is a game. We’re very cognizant of that — we’re not idiots.”

And yes, there was no mod support straight out of the box for SimCity 4. No Lot Editor, no IE Reader, no SC4 Tool, no BAT for MAX or GMAX.

If the game is good enough upon release, people are going to take their time playing the vanilla and learning the mechanics and this new Glassbox engine. Did you really expect there to be as many mods useful mods as there are for SimCity 4 on day one? The mods we have now are an accumulation of nearly an entire decade of hard work.

The internet being a requirement thing is sort of a let down but is it really such a horrible thing? Most PC users are constantly connected to the internet. There's WiFi everywhere from coffee shops to air and rail terminals to even sometimes the planes and trains themselves. It'll be an inconvenience sometimes yes, but very often it won't be.

Right, here's my two cents.

Firstly, DRM, wether it be in the form of Steam, Origin, Starforce, SecuROM or anything else, is a MASSIVE Inconvenience for any PC gamer, Simcity is, unfortunately, only the latest in a line of games to require Origin. DRM is in effect, useless, All it really serves to do, is to taunt the guys over on the torrent sites into saying "Challenge Accepted, *£$%!@* . Sadly for us, they usually win, they end up with a DRM free copy for free, DRM deliberately screw you over. In fact, The Witcher 2, which was released on gog.com with NO DRM was not actually the version that was shared on the net, supposedly. Requiring any Digital Platform is ridicolous at this point in time, because, frankly this means you HAVE to be connected to the net to play a game, designed to be played ALONE.

You have the option of supporting this with your cash, or you can just not buy it. and this is pulling me in the direction of no buy, and considering Simcity's community in love with a what would be considered a rather niche title that are out now, They know, that they HAVE to please us, to get the massive sales they desire and to release the DLC they wish to use to milk us dry with.

Mod support however, you should NEVER expect that on launch. One of the games that recently launched, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, had no way to mod it at launch. Now, that game has a massive PC fan base, that have modded everything from houses, to weapons to armour to the Kneecapper bow, and honestly, it's good that there is no modding at launch, this gives us a chance to see what we actually need to change.

If the Road network is not functioning properly, we'll modd it ;P

DLC and DRM, get angry about, Day One Modding support is a far fetched dream.

Even though they clearly understand that modding has kept SC4 alive and selling to new customers even today, the lack of any solid confirmation on modding support is disheartening. I certainly trust Maxis not to disappoint on the modding front, but SC13 is a no sale for me until mod support is guaranteed, even if it is a few months after the initial release. 'Potential' is a dirty word imo.

I'll add that I don't care much for DRM, but it's not a factor I consider when purchasing a game. I care for longevity.

Edited by BurroDiablo  

People seem to forget that EA can and does shut down game related servers at their leisure. Just a few weeks ago they shut down servers for 5 games. When the game has run it's course and it's costing them too much to run a server they'll pull it and now what good is your game?

3 more in 3 days:

March 31, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

* BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

* Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

* Ghost Harvest for iPhone

I'll add that I don't care much for DRM, but it's not a factor I consider when purchasing a game. I care for longevity.

Longevity... longevity...

Battlefield 3 Aftershock Details And Screenshots Released Born December 2011

EA bins Battlefield 3: Aftershock iOS game RIP March 2012

= 3 months, I wonder how many were sold...

"We shall make the product you payed for obsolete before you notice it!"

At the very least, apparently, EA/Maxis have come upfront regarding the offline issue in Simcity.

Edited by Gamma Stardust  

I'm a bit disappointed being forced to play online only, but at least their will still be a single player. Also as long as they still plan on allowing custom content in-game they've still got my money. Let's hope EA doesn't screw up Maxis' project.

A mod that makes the economy of the game reliant entirely on the in-game region would be a nice community solution to this (in other words, the game could run essentially self-sufficiently), although I don't think EA would want that to be possible.

Please be reminded that on Simtropolis we have a ZERO tolerance for any discussion regarding piracy, game cracks, torrents etc...

This rule is not open to discussion and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Thank you for being mindful of this when posting.

Craig-Abcvs

Simtropolis Moderator

I don't understand how it is that difficult to make the game offline which is what frustrates me the most about this news. The other thing is EA must maintain servers for this game and is therefore life support for the game. With the numbers still playing sc4 it would have become extinct years ago because well the active and eager small groups still playing would not be worth it for them. This is why above all without offline support where we can continue to build and enhance the game to a degree say of sc4 the whole series will die a painful death if this remains true.

When I buy a game, I want to buy it... especially for their prices. Not rent it and have everything disapear when the cityville crowd rolls out

I see two problems that arise on a communication level between game developers and end users.

First one is, that game developers think the ones against playing the game always with internet connection aren't such a big group of people. They should realise 99.746 % of gaming community across the board dislike or despise this option.

Even if we try to *tell* them their strategy is wrong by boycotting the game they would always blame low revenue on piracy and not on their dishonorable idea about needing internet connection just to play it offline.

Ah, well, SC 2013 was a good hype for me while it lasted. I'm astonished they managed to beat up my eagerness for a new Simcity game with just one easy statement.

While this is disappointing, someone should write a cordial letter to the CEO of EA: John Riccitiello, and calmly and politely explain to him how we as a community feel. Riccitiello is the one that has led EA along the digital and DLC pathway since he became CEO in 2007, and because of the success, EA has been doing more and more DLC and online stuff. He has recently said that he believed that single player was on its way out, and that most games will soon be multiplayer.

It's not too late. The executives at EA see everything as dollars, and if we can convince them that removing the always-on connection requirement will create more dollars, then they will likely order it to be removed.