206 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I'll do that soon; I finally got around to downloading all of his work so far (thanks to his neat organization). And rest assured, I'm working (slowly but surely) on the SC2013/Tropico music.

EDIT: I've done some research on the SimCity 2013 music. I've found a track listing here, YouTube compilations here and here...and the official OST is for sale here. While I can get the music for myself no problem, I'm worried that if I upload it here, EA will take action. I realize that while the soundtracks for SimCity 3000 (no Unlimited/World music, weirdly) and SimCity 4 (no Deluxe music, oddly) are for sale along with the Streets of SimCity music (and support Jerry Martin), they were also available for free at one point (and still are, as the SimCity 2000 and Classic music if one knows where to look in the game directories, or on the internet, with or without a YouTube downloader). I can do it, but I'm still on the fence about this.

Biff, if it's of any help I have mp3s of the SimCopter music.  Unfortunately, the .WAV files in the game are really low bit-rate so the MP3 quality isn't great but it is tolerable.  A shame Jerry or EA never put this album on iTunes (although some of the techno tracks were remixed in The Sims House Party).

EDIT: Also, some of the tracks from The Sims Hot Date (the downtown map themes) are really close to the style of Simcity 3000.

I've done some research on the SimCity 2013 music. ... While I can get the music for myself no problem, I'm worried that if I upload it here, EA will take action.

Mmm... the game is brand new; usually big companies are very... protective about new stuff; I'd be careful there.

• Original Poster
  • Okay, it's settled then. While I am assuming that the free distribution of the SC4D and SC3KU music (not to mention the SC2K and Classic song(s)) is tolerated, I'd rather not risk fate by uploading the SC (2013) music. If you want it, you can go to YouTube or something. Thank you for understanding. I MIGHT be able to bring you the SimCopter music in exchange, though...

• Original Poster
  • It's been more than a year since I first made this thread. Thank you all for your continued support; I will continue to oversee this collection for as long as possible.

Anyway, Part 2 has 1,184 downloads, Part 3 has 554 downloads and Part 4 has 994 downloads. I estimate the SimCity 4 Parts 1-1 and 1-2 to have 800 and 700 downloads, respectively.

I've done a music mod for DOOM: The Roguelike, which probably explains why I haven't actually been researching the Tropico music yet. I'll get to it and have a collection up sooner or later, I promise. I can't just not share it, now can I?

• Original Poster
  • Don't worry, none of the DOOM music is copyrighted. I'm not selling it, at any rate. It's here.

As for Tropico, I think that some of the first two games' BGM was sold as an album that supported the composer Daniel Indart, who is awesome by the way. I think the albums were released shortly after the games themselves, but are now not being made, and thus not being sold first-party and thus not collecting royalties. I'm still not sure; further research is required.

• Original Poster
  • I've uploaded the SimCopter music and put it in the OP, thanks to shoptroll.

• Original Poster
  • Okay, I've researched the Tropico music. I realize that this isn't exactly a Tropico forum, but since I feel I should share my research and I'm going to share the link here anyway, I might as well.

All of the Tropico 2 music that I know exists and a good portion of the Tropico 1 music (and the Mucho Macho expansion pack music) are still available on Amazon to buy as MP3 files. Presumably, the royalties go to the musicians (and publishers), and it wouldn't be right (and legal either) to just upload it here. However, I do have some music from Tropico 1 that isn't on any album that I can still presumably upload (there's more music in the game than on the albums). I just have to figure out which ones, even if most of it's on YouTube anyway (and accessible to those with YouTube downloaders :P).

The majority of the music for Tropico 3 is also available to buy as MP3s, with the exception of one track that hasn't been traced (so I don't know what it's called and therefore cannot look it up) and a remix of Rachelle Garniez's Serenade, which as far as I know is exclusive to Tropico. So I'll only upload those two. Some of the music by Mamborama that is in the game is freely available on their website, and all of t he Tropico 3 and 4 music is on YouTube, thanks to a guy named kahdeskhan. I could not, however, find Asi! Vamos for sale, which is odd considering it's by Alex Torres and his ensemble, who have a majority of the game's music for sale on Amazon and other places. I might be able to upload it, so that's three songs in total.

I'm currently researching the Tropico 4 music.

• Original Poster
  • I'll take that advice; thanks for the encouragement. I looked at the Tropico 4 music and decided to play it safe; it all looked monitored to me. So that's about three songs from Tropico 3 and a dozen or two from the first Tropico. I'll get to organizing the files soon.

Never mind the fact that you can extract all the music from 1, 3 AND 4 using two simple programs (well okay, one is relatively simple, the other isn't and it's more hard to find, but it's still free). It's all on YouTube as well. I'm still not taking any chances though; if someone wants all of it they can go and buy it, or "acquire" it via other means if they know how.

EDIT: Here. Not too many songs, due to aforementioned legal reasons. Should still be an alright collection though.

EDIT EDIT: Switched SimCopter to MediaFire (to save space in my Dropbox and on my computer), and posted it to another forum.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you so much for all of this, Biff. You've made collecting all my favorite songs from across the genre incredibly easy. Kudos!

No problemo. It had to be done sooner or later.

• Original Poster
  • Just noticed the gold star on the OP. Thanks guys! Now I'm special! (just kidding)

I also noticed that this thread is no longer pinned. I'm not exactly one to tell mods how to carry out their duties, but I at least would have liked a PM informing me of this and why it happened. As it is, I'm slightly worried that people might have a slightly harder time finding the music. That's me, I guess.

Just noticed the gold star on the OP. Thanks guys! Now I'm special! (just kidding)

I also noticed that this thread is no longer pinned. I'm not exactly one to tell mods how to carry out their duties, but I at least would have liked a PM informing me of this and why it happened. As it is, I'm slightly worried that people might have a slightly harder time finding the music. That's me, I guess.

You are special! :)

By the way, the thread is no longer pinned by some time now.... and that's a shame! ;)

(Oh, this is post #50 for me, I guess... You know what that means!!! :D

Pinning expires after 365 days.  You could ask a moderator and it will probably be done again for you.  It is one of those things that should be a non-expiring moderator duty.

• Original Poster
  • I'll go and ping CaptCity about it, then. Thanks guys.

EDIT: He's re-stickied it. Aces!

It's not usually a problem (getting repinned).  Mods do it when it occurs to them except in cases where a thread is going to be allowed to die.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the info guys.

Anyhoo, Part 2 has 1,401 downloads, Part 3 has 636 downloads, Part 4 has 919 downloads, and Part 5 (the SimCopter music) has 28 downloads.

I'm still going to (eventually) find the Streets of SimCity music (and SimCity 3000 menu music, both versions), and possibly the SimMars(both the canceled project and the SC4 mod) music. I'm definitely considering tracking down different-sounding versions of the SC2K MIDI music, such as the Mac version. As far as I know that's the only differing version significant enough to warrant inclusion at a later date. I might even collect The Sims music, even if I'm no fan of that series (although interior design sounds fun).

• Original Poster
  • Thanks, Cyclone. I've taken the liberty of putting the direct download link in the OP.

FYI, the SimMars mod soundtrack is already available So maybe you could add this link to your initial post.

Great work on this collection by the way! ;)

I like it! Congrats on the project: very well done!!! :)

• Original Poster
  • I've added the menu music from SimCity 3000 and the Unlimited expansion to Part 2, and updated the readme in Part 4. I have indicated that the version of the SimCity SNES music in the collection is from the Videogame Music Preservation Foundation, and I've had to upload the new Part 2 and Part 4 to my Dropbox because MediaFire wasn't uploading with my connection.

Oh, and I recently figured out a way to convert the sound effect files in SimCity 3000 from those .xa files to MP3 files. (Some of them are already WAV files, though.) I'm going to convert them and upload them with a program called Switch Sound File Converter. Dunno if anyone's done that before or not, but I'm doing it anyway. I'll be putting them in what I shall christen Part 2-2, with the original Part 2 becoming Part 2-1 (you can still call it Part 2 if you want though). Expect them soon.

• Original Poster
  • SimCity 3000 Unlimited sound effects uploaded. I was not able to convert the ZONES/WIND directory, however, as the program said that there was no audio in the files. If anyone can help me with this, I would be very grateful, but I think this is quite a coup for now anyhow.

Hearing the SC 200 PS1 tunes really brought back memories, thanks for putting this together.  I'm not quite sure which folder to put them in. I put them in Mayor for now, but they don't show up in the list in the settings. Should they be there?

1.  To be in the game at all they must be .mp3

2.  Turn on the custom music in the music menu.

Frankly, I put mine in my general music library and run them with my music player (Rhythmbox).  I have music turned off in SC4, and usually have an auxiliary player running instead.