Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Accountability and Liability of Public Officials

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

My link

This will be an interesting trial. It could be world wide precedent setting.

God i hope not.

Then they could put the U.S. Geological Survey on trial for not predicting every major quake from the last 50 years.

no one is going to evacuate every thing west of Sacramento CA because LA gets minor tremors every week.

and they are not evacuating Hawaii even thou the whole place could be wiped out with one well placed eruption/tidal wave

I think that's wrong to charge those people. As people have said, you can't predict an earthquake. Nobody should be chaged for a natural disaster, it's not their fault (government probably would'nt have even evacuated if the scientists even did warn them, they would've still having the deaths).

• Original Poster
  • As I said, only in Italy. The seat of the Holy See is the last place on earth to blame people for acts of God, eh?

Italy is in the deep financial do-do. They need circuses to distract the people. The sexcapades of the prime minister doesn't appear to be enough.

I'm sorry if people don't see the irony in this topic. I tried to make it clear with the subtitle.

Do you suppose the people around Naples are still upset with Jupiter and Vulcan for the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 A.D. that destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum? Or maybe it was the wrath of the new Christian God?

This is ridiculous. You can't hold people criminally liable for having bad luck.

This is the sort of stupidity that leads to resources being wasted because people have to be concerned about covering their asses rather than doing their job. Whenever anything goes wrong you can always find someone who could have done something differently which might have altered the outcome, but that doesn't mean they should reasonably have been expected to have done so. We could build houses to withstand tornadoes if we wanted to, but nobody would want to live in one. And we could call a panic over every potential earthquake but there comes a point where the cost of all the false responses is greater than the cost of the one in a million disaster averted.

• Original Poster
  • Where are they going to find reputable seismologists / scientists to support the prosecution?

Another blatant waste of taxpayers dollars.

I agree.

Make that "taxpayers' euros" though :P

I used to think that Americans were the most litigious persons on earth. This kind of thing wouldn't get past the Master at Law in our courts no matter who brought the action. The clear defense is act of God.

Could just be me, but if you want to state your defense of 'act of God', I would still like you to proof that it indeed was (a) God that did it.

Regardless, this indeed is quite stupid. Despite the reassuring statement issued, people in the area should have known that those predictions aren't 100% accurate, and if they feel the earth shaking constantly, and are afraid of a big one, they should flee. Personally, I would rather look into the construction quality of all those collapsed buildings, since those didn't seem to be so strong. Then again, I do not know how 'active' the region is/was, and thus if they could have suspected earthquakes to hit the region at all.

Regards,

Korot

• Original Poster
  • I think you'll find that the existence of god is irrelevant. I was quoting a precedent in law, which doesn't depend on the existence of god, only a general bucket to place a natural occurrence. In Italy, of course, a nominally Catholic country, this will go well.

Quibbles like that are what keep supreme courts in business.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

Ah, then I might have misunderstood you. Sorry. And in that case, we also seem to agree: You can't blame humans for something we don't have control of.

Regards,

Korot