Sign in to follow this  
maximus4418

I need help with the subway

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

To start off I have the NAM and my city has about 20k residents. My residential zone is mostly medium density although some R$$$ sims have stuck around in their mansions. I have an avenue running from east to west through a large map. The left side contains the power plant and a fair amount of industry. My demand for I-HT is fairly high whereas I-D and I-M are negative because of taxes however my overall demand for industry is deep in the negative. I extended the avenue to Sim nation though I don't yet have a city there. There is quite a bit of space between my industrial zone and the residential/commercial. The commercial zones surround the avenue with residential branching away. One-way roads funnel traffic towards and away from the avenue. The one-way roads helped significantly with traffic but the avenue is way over capacity. I had a very efficient bus system and used city ordinances in conjunction with a toll booth to encourage it's use. I removed the toll booth though to lower congestion on the avenue. Anyways I converted the road top bus stops to bus/subway stations. I have been working on the subway system but due to a fairly small budget (playing on hard) it is slow going. I built a passenger rail at the edge of the residential and again at the edge of the industrial zone. It is a straight piece of track but within three months it was a 494% capacity. I took out a loan (yeah I know it's usually unadvisable but I can afford it) and ran the subway all the way to the industrial zone for train doesn't. It now not only picks up Sims at their house (which the train doesn't do) but drops them off at the same place. My problem is this. No Sims ride the subway to the industrial area. A lot of them ride it to the train and then take the train to their jobs. Why is this? If I delete the train will they take it? Also does one train service all the stops because if so my system is very inefficient because the main line runs under the avenue and there are branches into the residential but they go straight out instead of looping around.

Edit: The subway is being utilized at about 100% capacity for the return trip but still not at all for the morning commute. I assumed that this may be because the pathfinder hadn't gotten back to the start but it didn't change even after roughly eight years and my city is not that large. I also tried removing the train which runs parallel to the subway. Commute times shot up and my city went bankrupt due to a loss in revenue both from fares and the widespread abandonment that followed from commute times. If I can't get the subway up and running correctly my city is going to stagnate preventing further growth and ultimately ending in failure.

I think generally sims will take the fastest route, trains move faster than subway however im slightly confused at this as well. If the subway is litterally getting 0% usage (you checked the stations in between the 0% usage area and checked the travel path tool thingy (sorry!) on the subway line and theres no yellow arrow, if you hover it will give you a number, then i think that might be right. So yea if you get rid of the train then probably they will use the the subway.

Also, for some reason i am thinking population has something to do with it, i did not start using subway untill i hit around 100 000 population i setup my train first with bus stops, after that i setup the subway and they now use all train, my highway, my avenues, buses and my subway.

I am using NAM mod, this alters how people use transport completely. So probably renders this invalid.

you could also put that toll booth back on to encourage more transport

Originally posted by: maximus4418

... I built a passenger rail at the edge of the residential and again at the edge of the industrial zone. It is a straight piece of track but within three months it was a 494% capacity... My problem is this. No Sims ride the subway to the industrial area. A lot of them ride it to the train and then take the train to their jobs. Why is this? If I delete the train will they take it?

...I also tried removing the train which runs parallel to the subway. Commute times shot up and my city went bankrupt due to a loss in revenue both from fares and the widespread abandonment that followed from commute times...quote>

If I'm visualizing your layout correctly, it sounds like the rail network is the "preferred" method of travel. However, you're saying if the rail is demolished, nobody uses the parallel subway which actually goes to the same locations?  This sounds like there is an issue with the subway path being complete or the placement of stations. You mentioned you're using some RTMT stops.. Which set are you using? Is there a way for Sims to get from the stops to the jobs? Is it possible to post a picture of the section of the city you're concerned with? It might help give a clue to the problem.

Also does one train service all the stops because if so my system is very inefficient because the main line runs under the avenue and there are branches into the residential but they go straight out instead of looping around.quote>

Again, if I'm understanding correctly, the branches are being preferred over the loop because it may be a more direct route to destinations.

• Original Poster
  • Keeper.Garret I am also using the NAM. About the population I agree it is fairly low but the congestion was so bad that an alternative was needed. I spoke to a member of the RTMT team and he said that he believes it is the "one-way commute bug" which they experienced during testing. I got his version of the RTMT and am going to try with it. About the subway path I will attach a picture when I get back on the game probably tomorrow. That is if this version of the RTMT doesn't fix it. Thanks for the help though.

I don't know if this it still goes up for Simcity 4, but in SC3000 people tend to use heavy rail if they work in the industries and they use the subway if they want to get to their commercial offices.

Originally posted by: HyperGaruda

I don't know if this it still goes up for Simcity 4, but in SC3000 people tend to use heavy rail if they work in the industries and they use the subway if they want to get to their commercial offices.quote>

No, this does not apply to SC4.

Also, the Sims may use the train in the morning and the subway in the evening because the fastest route rule applies only to the morning commute.  For the evening commute the Sims may use any route that gets them home, though often this is the same route that they use in the morning.

• Original Poster
  • I got it working by using his version of the RTMT so I do believe it was a bug. Immediately after I replaced the two key stations their capacity both shot up. Kind of sucked though because the subway was a huge gamble for my city and at 850 simeoleans a station I couldn't afford to do it twice. So I guess I'm starting a new city but hey at least I know it all works now.