Sign in to follow this  
StroudBass

Dumb question regarding config files

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Forgive the stupidly simple question. Im still learning the basics.

Im just making a new region. I don't think I need to do anything with a greyscale map as I jut want to set the overall and city sizes and placement for the region.

Ive made a new region and then made a nice big confis file. 40 pixels by 40. Plan was to start terraforming manually from the middle outwards city by city. Playing the cities as I expand outwards. I therefore just made the config green with a few 4 by 4 blues in the middle. The plan was to edit the config as I go.

However when I pasted the config into the region folder I see the 2 big cities...then nothing else connected. The medium cities are just randomly away. Many of them diagonally overlapping...like rooftiles. I was just expecting to see a plain un-terraformed region, made up of medium cities with two large cities in the middle.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Alex

Originally posted by: StroudBass

Forgive the stupidly simple question. Im still learning the basics.

Im just making a new region. I don't think I need to do anything with a greyscale map as I jut want to set the overall and city sizes and placement for the region.

Ive made a new region and then made a nice big confis file. 40 pixels by 40. Plan was to start terraforming manually from the middle outwards city by city. Playing the cities as I expand outwards. I therefore just made the config green with a few 4 by 4 blues in the middle. The plan was to edit the config as I go.

However when I pasted the config into the region folder I see the 2 big cities...then nothing else connected. The medium cities are just randomly away. Many of them diagonally overlapping...like rooftiles. I was just expecting to see a plain un-terraformed region, made up of medium cities with two large cities in the middle.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Alexquote>

First thing, you can't edit the config file after you have terraformed cities, except below, and to the right.  Otherwise you will lose the city, and the terraforming.

I am not sure why you have diagonally overlapping cities, unless you didn't follow the pixel set [green not by two's].

Moving to the Mapping Community Room.

Hello, StroubBass.

First of all, welcome to Simtropolis.  I certainly hope your stay will be an enjoyable one.

To expande upon what my esteemed colleague tungston has already posted...

I would certainly take the time to plan out your config.bmp file and "set it in stone" before you start a new region.  Just in case you need any help with the config.bmp file, please read through the below tutorial:

Config.bmp: How to Make it Yours

And, "Part 1: Setting the Strip Map Image File and Config Bit Map Dimension" section of the following tutorial:

Creating Area Strip Maps and Multiple SC4 Regions

For example - based on your post, you're looking to use a config.bmp that is 40 x 40 pixels.  This will (eventually) require a grayscale image file that is 2561 x 2561 pixels.  Certainly, it is going to be a big region!

You're going to want to plan out how many small, medium and large cities you wish to have.  The following tutorial might be of assistance to you for that planning:

City Grid and City Tile Sizes

Good luck to you and let us know your results!

Regards,

Vandy