Sign in to follow this  
mode

Power And Pollution

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

After many experimental cities and trial and error methods, the learning curve is becoming less steep. I decided to make a new "perfect" city using all the knowledge i have acquired. I chose a medium to plot to achieve this. I zoned the bottom corner of the map for heavy industry and had a power plant and landfill in the very corner of the map. I started to zone some medium res and light commercial with fire coverage, police coverage, schools and parks etc. I even made my zones divided into 4x4 squares with bus stops every 2 blocks. But as my city grew, naturally the needs of the city became bigger and bigger. I aaccommodated this by upgrading city utilities and civics, even put in a university. But it got to the point where a natural gas and oil power plant (both fully funded) where not enough to supply the city. I am reluctant to put more in due to the fact that the enviroment is in the toilet in my city. The heavy pollution is driving R$ way up and and everything else way down. Is there a better way to accommodate my cities power needs without sacrificing enviroment ratings? I have tried to create a seperate zone for industry, garbage and power needs, but eventually it just became a toxic wasteland.

I would build a 'sacrifice' city.  In a city next to your 'perfect' city, create another city that contains power and garbage.  Then make appropriate connections to the 'perfect city' and create business deals.  That way, your perfect city can buy it's power and garbage needs from its neighbor without having the actual facilites within its borders.  In my region of En Gedi, I have nearly all of the power and garbage capacity for the whole region in one city.

It might be too drastic for your purpose but I just use the Black Hole Utilities after windmills become too expensive. It is almost like a cheat because you can power a city with millions of people for a small monthly cost.

Water - http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=17908

Power - http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=17909

Search Results - http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?p=files&keyword=black%20hole&view=all

On the other hand, I created a city with about 100,000 sims using only wind turbines and two large water pumps, before I foudn the Black Hole Utilities. It is very expensive, but completely eco-friendly. 9.gif Also continue to add trees and parks surrounding polluted areas.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you very much timewarp, those should be very helpful4.gif. Prophet i have tried making a sacrifice city, and building a 100% industrial city city with power plants landfills etc. Unfortunately the terrible pollution just attracted more dirty industry and more poor ppl15.gif

Quite right.  R$ will live in the worst conditions.  There are alternative power plants, and here are the ones I like, but they are costly to plop.

The power plant needs the water plant because it uses water as input.  It also uses up all the pollution in a 256 grid radius (large city).  Because of the plop costs, you might consider the extra cheats .dll command moolah.

You can have both of these in your ideal city.  No pollution.

Water

Power

Oops, screwed up the link.  Now fixing it.

Links fixed and tested.  Sorry about that.

You might find the other lots on a search for N_O_Body interesting.

There is also a non-Bauhaus private college and a regular Moose Factory growable.