Sign in to follow this  
LivingInThePast

City journal plans

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

With a copy of SimCity 4 that's not producing graphic glitches, I can finally make a good CJ. I've browsed a few, but I really don't know what I want.

Should I make an "armchair empire" like so many others? It allows me to make a non-American city, with favorite international influences, and also allows me to outline political ideologies in the form of country information. Requires lots of BATs, though.

I was thinking of a "small town to regional empire" but without the BATs I have in mind, it's useless. (My delayed Wal-Mart BAT was to help achieve this).

A variation on it would be from "small town to cookie-cutter suburbia", based vaguely on the small towns on the outskirts of Houston that were transformed into suburbs (Sugar Land and Katy being among them). An interesting touch would be naming them after something that would become a shadow of the name, with Sugar Land losing its vast sugar-processing plants and only becoming the headquarters of Imperial Sugar, and Katy losing its namesake, the MKT ("Katy") railroad that ran through town (it was truncated in 1997, and only a segment remains as an industrial spur).

Yet another idea is the "storyline". One of my favorites was "Run For Your Life", which, like many a CJ, dropped off unexpectedly.

What should I do?

Make something unique or with underused elements, something that has never been seen before or hasn't been seen in a long time! 9.gif Maybe a climate / regional setting that doesn't get used often, or an unique storyline not seen often in CJs?

For your categories, pick the one that will allow best allow you to build in the setting you desire. But don't work too hard with little result or you won't enjoy making the CJ, and why would you keep doing something you don't like to do?

I must admit I don't usually read CJ's (especially because CJ threads tend to load much slower than other threads due to all the pictures), but if I see something interesting, I will go in and have a look. And perhaps I'll soon have the time to look at more CJs and start commenting too!

• Original Poster
  • @Yunxiang: There's no climate or regional setting that doesn't get used very often, unless you're talking about some mod that I really don't want to use.

@Blue Lightning: Come on, at least leave an opinion!  30.gif

I was leaning toward a "storyline" myself.

Originally posted by: LivingInThePast

@Yunxiang: There's no climate or regional setting that doesn't get used very often, unless you're talking about some mod that I really don't want to use.quote>

There sure are tons of terrain modds, tho, and most of them work quite well.  There are even some new ones just out.  They look interesting.  Or there's the whole snow thing...many new plugins and some old modds that help you cover some existing lots with the white stuff.  Perhaps a winter adventure of some sort would be an exciting storyline?

@Blue Lightning: Come on, at least leave an opinion!  30.gifquote>

Hey, he's workin', here.  3.gif

I was leaning toward a "storyline" myself.quote>

Yeah, I remember Run For Your Life, a good action-centered story CJ by hamsterTK.  One plotline was wrapped up, tho, to be fair.  It won a Trixie.  I liked the link at the end of each section to the next segment, but the City Journals section is good for that easy clicking now. 

"What exactly should I do?"

Anything you want :-D

Originally posted by: Livin in Sim

Originally posted by: LivingInThePast

@Yunxiang: There's no climate or regional setting that doesn't get used very often, unless you're talking about some mod that I really don't want to use.quote>

There sure are tons of terrain modds, tho, and most of them work quite well.  There are even some new ones just out.  They look interesting.  Or there's the whole snow thing...many new plugins and some old modds that help you cover some existing lots with the white stuff.  Perhaps a winter adventure of some sort would be an exciting storyline?

@Blue Lightning: Come on, at least leave an opinion!  30.gifquote>

Hey, he's workin', here.  3.gif

quote>

In more ways than is obvious 2.gif His CJ is noted, because it is very 'roadgeeky'. He focuses on massive, awesome highway and road systems. Think of maybe something like that.

There are some CJ's that are very rail oriented. Some are mountainous, some are beaches. Some are tiny villages, some are concrete jungles. You can pick any end of the spectrum, or a delicate balance in the middle.

• Original Poster
  • I settled on a storyline, and have a good idea of where it's going.

Another idea I was tossing around was the "development" one, but that's put on hold. Nevertheless, I'm going to build a city that's entirely filled with farms and ranches except a small patch of city, and see how it goes. It won't be a CJ, tho.