Sign in to follow this  
RDMAX

Parcel Sizes

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was recently wondering about optimal parcel sizes. Some quick testing seems to indicate that I do not receive extra tax revenue from larger parcels. Is this correct?

It appears that, at least at the beginning of the game, there is no reason to have 1x3 parcels for residential or commercial. 1x1s will not grow, but 1x2s are 33% cheaper, and seem to provide the same amount of income.

Same with agriculture. There appears to be no advantage to larger lots. It would seem that smaller and denser is better.

Thus far, my testing has been very limited. But before I continue, I would like to pose the question: Does anyone have any insight about this? Could it really be advantageous to start with 1x2 parcels, then later rezone to allow for larger ones?

Taxes are based on number or residents/jobs. Something with more jobs or residents will pay more taxes.  Parcel size has nothing to do with it.  For example a 1x2 parcel with 100 residents would pay more taxes than a 1x2 parcel with 60.

Originally posted by: RDMAX

I was recently wondering about optimal parcel sizes. Some quick testing seems to indicate that I do not receive extra tax revenue from larger parcels. Is this correct?

It appears that, at least at the beginning of the game, there is no reason to have 1x3 parcels for residential or commercial. 1x1s will not grow, but 1x2s are 33% cheaper, and seem to provide the same amount of income.

Same with agriculture. There appears to be no advantage to larger lots. It would seem that smaller and denser is better.

Thus far, my testing has been very limited. But before I continue, I would like to pose the question: Does anyone have any insight about this? Could it really be advantageous to start with 1x2 parcels, then later rezone to allow for larger ones?quote>

It's correct. Tax revenue is based on the building not on the lot size.

At the start 1x1's won't grow but they will eventually. I've read that they grow when your city has 1500 jobs, but the fastest I've seen them start being built on was when my pop was 264. The R$$ are the only class that can build at medium density on 1x1 medium density lots. The R$ can only build at low density on 1x1 medium density lots.

Nice catch about agriculture. I didn't know that lot size affected tax revenue. Makes sense.

The smallest lot size for stage 8 buildings is 4x2, then 3x3, then 4x3 then 4x4, so 4 1x2 parcels is enough to hit stage 8.

I think there's a stage 8 6x6 CS$$$ lot.

The other thing you need to consider is the effect of low, medium and high density zoning on tax revenue/resident and tax revenue/job opening.

Based on my limited research and I could be wrong. Density has no effect on tax revenue/job opening in commerce and industry. 

But density has an effect on tax revenue/resident.

At low density the R$, R$$ and R$$$ pay 0.337, 0.617 and 1.000 simoleans per resident.

At medium and high density the R$, R$$ and R$$$ pay 0.070, 0.293 and 0.628 simoleans per resident.

At low density the R$ are profitable to give health and education to, but at medium and high density you lose money giving them heath and education.

At any density the R$$ and R$$$ are profitable to give heath and education coverage to.

I have found that 1 x 2 is optimum for early game play, but zone them in clusters of 4 1x2 lots at high-density if you want R$.  Those single houses will eventually become high-rises with even more residents.

Don't be bamboozled by the demand graph.  A high demand for R$ says build tenements, not cottages.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you guys for the responces!

I have read quite a few tutorials oriented towards new players. Many mention ways to save money early in the game, when cash is so scarce. Still, none that I have read have suggested keeping the parcel sizes small. And even low-density zones can be kind of expensive. Spending 33% less per parcel could quickly become quite substantial.

I once read somewhere that the agriculture jobs are per tile, not per parcel. Is this correct? And, if so, does that mean that the size of an agricultural zone is moot? Else, 3x4 agricultural parcels would seem to be the most ideal.

I once read somewhere that the agriculture jobs are per tile, not per parcel. Is this correct? And, if so, does that mean that the size of an agricultural zone is moot? Else, 3x4 agricultural parcels would seem to be the most ideal.quote>

I am not aware of this one.  I generally build farms on a click and hold basis. 

I consider farms to be land banks that can be easily fully or partially subsumed by other lots simply by zoning over the farm lands.  When things get really tight for the farm stead, I rezone it.  I find this neat when I want to supply workers for a farm.  You just zone some 1 x 2 lots right on top of the fields.  Since the farm is the nearest employer for uneducated R$, they work on the farm.  Later, you can drop a school on or near the farm lands and the R$ will start upgrading.

This is one way to get a farming village started.  You can also drop some 1 x 2 CS$ on the farm, say at a crossroads, and create a nice little village.

By the way, it is common practice for a farmer to sever lots for people, so this is a natural thing.

I once read somewhere that the agriculture jobs are per tile, not per parcel. Is this correct? And, if so, does that mean that the size of an agricultural zone is moot?quote>

I have a farm by Simgoober in which when I click on a farm field tile, it lists how many jobs that field tile is providing.  Also, since i've seen farms of mine have about one hundred workers traveling to it, I must assume that this is correct myself.

I once read somewhere that the agriculture jobs are per tile, not per parcel. Is this correct? And, if so, does that mean that the size of an agricultural zone is moot? Else, 3x4 agricultural parcels would seem to be the most ideal.quote>

The main building has a fixed number of jobs, just like any industrial lot.  Additionally, each tile of farm field provides a small number of jobs - usually 1 to 3 workers per tile.

You can clearly see this if you route query a large farm.  All field workers enter through the main structure.

Out buildings for other types of industry function the same way.

Thank you guys for the responces!

I have read quite a few tutorials oriented towards new players. Many mention ways to save money early in the game, when cash is so scarce. Still, none that I have read have suggested keeping the parcel sizes small. And even low-density zones can be kind of expensive. Spending 33% less per parcel could quickly become quite substantial.

The developers for the different classes waste zoned tiles. For example the R$ developer can build a small bungalow on a 1x1, 1x2 or 1x3 lot but the taxes paid are the same.

Or a commercial or industrial developer will build a 2x2 building on a 2x3 lot and waste 2 tiles with a patch of grass or pavement.

For farms the jobs are per tile and per barn. But the taxes are per barn. So the size of the farm isn't moot.The smallest farm parcel is 4x4. Usually only Pumpkin Acres will grow on those lots and they pay the lowest taxes and have the lowest workers per barn tile. If you zone 4x5 farms you'll get more of the better barns.

There's 3 stages of farms and I think stage 1 has 1 worker/tile; stage 2 has 2 workers/ tile and stage 3 has 3 workers/tile. Then the barns have there own separate workers per barn added on.

BUT! If what I have read elsewhere on this forum is correct, power demand is propotional to number of farms, so zoning out a large number of small farms will give you less jobs per unit power. The game still offsets the increse in tax revenue i guess.

Your right power and water usage are per barn.

It's still more profitable to build small farms. The increased tax revenue is worth it, budgetwise.

You have to spend $160 to zone a 4x4 farm. Pumpkin Acres pays $4/month in taxes. So it takes 40 months to earn your zoning costs back. If you spend $1000 to zone a big pumpkin acres, you still get $4/month in taxes and it takes 250 months to earn your zoning costs back.

Why does the city have to provide free utilities? In real life don't people have to pay for them? lol 

Because the SimNation fiscal policy is having tax funds to pay for everything. Also, at least in the case of water utilities, the water bills don't necessarily ensure the service is run with profit.

Why does the city have to provide free utilities? In real life don't people have to pay for them? lol

Yeah. but since it's a government operation it's never going to turn a profit.

Yeah. but since it's a government operation it's never going to turn a profit.

Its not free. It is built into the tax structure. Don't you adjust taxes as your city changes?

Its not free. It is built into the tax structure. Don't you adjust taxes as your city changes?

Not really. I turn I-D taxes up to 20% except for my designated industrial park city tile and I may make small tweaks to the top R and C brackets, but I don't really touch the taxes other than that. I make enough money to build everything I want with 9% rates.

I think I'll be experimenting with using my default city grid options for agriculture. I either use 4x4, 6x6 or 4x9, all of them being small but big enough to test the profitability of small farms. They'd also have the advantage to be upgradable to any urban zoning (residential, commercial and the actual industrials).

All of my cities get some tax incentives (out of the 9% baseline). At least in the case of farms, I provide them with a 7% rate, housing goes to 8.0 or 8.5% (depending on how residential I want the city district), I-D and I-M usually get 8.0-8.5 and 7.5-8.0% respectively, I-HT gets 7.0, CS gets 8.0 and CO gets7.0-8.0; all depending on the focal use of the city.