Sign in to follow this  
Breeze1965

MY IMpression of Cities XL 2011

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I wanted to place a post for this game not because I think anyone particularly cares but because I think developers look for fewedback. That said here goes

I had the 2009 game I had a n issue with my activation key. I saw that the developer ONLY used this site for forums and had none of their own which shook my confidence. And then the game went bust after no time flat because it took this SIM CITY 4 game and tried to change it in it's entireity which is a huge mistake we are supposed to emulate success not change it completely.

The 2011 game in my humble opinion is doing that. I love the game so far great graphics. decent game for the mental aspect of running a city it's not nearly as hard and I hope over time they get closer to the mental aspect of the game more like Sim City 4. What I remember liking there was not the disasters glad to see them gone. But I liked the fires when you didn't have proper fire coverage I liked the penalties for not keeping up with the duties of a mayor the way you would in real life.

This game offers these things just scaled down some in my opinion.

MODDING!!! Allowing modding is the only reason I have purchased this game. I can't be any clearer to the game makers.  Do you really think people would stiull play sim city 4 if they didn't constantly have the option for new content.

If you want a game to be #1 it should allow modding and be non restrictive. so hats off to you on this wise choice.

I do have a question one of teh things I loved in terms of ideas with your last game was GEMS I am hoeful you will pursue this sell it as downloadable content or an expansion game but I love the idea of GEMS I truly like the idea of it with transport systms

but any business within the city is awesome and if pursued could be alot of money because it has limitless scenarios.

In any case hats off to a terrific game.

I look forward to

Multi Core Support patches!!

Terraforming built into game not just a mod.!!

GEMS!!

And again hats off to the supporting of MODDING!!!!

I don't think its bad. Its not produced very well though. Runs very slow on low graphics once I get 100,000+ people. The Sims3 runs much faster! The only thing that annoys me is that you cannot rezone places, you have to demolish everything each time to replace which takes ages! Also I think the lot sizes are too limited, but its kinda getting there...

I don't think its bad. Its not produced very well though. Runs very slow on low graphics once I get 100,000+ people. The Sims3 runs much faster! The only thing that annoys me is that you cannot rezone places, you have to demolish everything each time to replace which takes ages! Also I think the lot sizes are too limited, but its kinda getting there...

• Original Poster
  • I have a new computer and It runs fast for me, I do have ssd drives and a 6 core with twin 5770 raedeon Video cards and 16 gig of memory so its pretty stacked however it doesn't recognize the multi core so but you are right it could be much faster which could happen with multi core support and the rezone thing could hopefully be mod.

But its a damm good game! a little effort and Ill be sayiong goodbye to sim city 4

@Breeze1965: Cities XL 2011 is designed for a one core, 32 bit system; so that may be where you are getting some type of issue, if any. 

I am impressed with CXL 2011, too. I have a decent bit of RAM, a good processor, and a horrible graphics card, and I can run the game flawlessly.....on low that is. 3.gif

I like how CXL gives more freedom with building transit infrastructure, zoning, and many other things. The trading idea was brilliant; it's a good way to make some money or "tokens" as the game calls it. 

CXL has been out a few months. If you look at where CXL stands with Sim City 4 after it was out a few months, I believe it is more advanced. Give it a couple months, and we could be seeing a traffic simulator, some new networks, or a tool like  the BAT in Cities XL. In fact, we know that the model for a Cities XL building is indeed a .3ds file. What we don't is the other 2 files that go into making a CXL building. 

I am hoping on the CXL bandwagon, and seeing if I can join in and pioneer CXL to a level of complexity never reached before. 

DC

I very much have enjoyed CXL11. I like the transportation tools and the way i can design my bus line and subway lines. It took some getting used to, but it seems quite realistic in the approach. I don't care much for the highway tools. They are bulky and cumerbsome and cost way too much. Plus their beneift just seems limited (in the traffic they can handle).

As for where it stands with SC4, that is still a question to be answered. It seems unfair to compare a few months old game to a game that has been out for going on 7 years or so. I know I personally have bought SC4 at least 3 times and I still occassionally play it now. How many games do you still play from the early 2000's? 4.gif

the game is a good one, they could have done better, but it's still a very enjoyable game, i also think that it will come into it's own when we will be able to design our own content, that way i think we will not be tired down with 2 lot sizes. When that will be........ well I hope very soooooon. but yes SC4 is one of the best.

CXL has the potential to be even better than SC4 when mod tools finally hit. The game is already superior in some areas: traffic simulation, contiguous map size, free-form building, and of course graphics. When custom content starts pouring in, CXL will be able to go beyond SC4 in probably every area except for region play.

Considering that they're asking what buildings you want to see in Cities XL 2011 sounds to me that they are not too eager to let folks create their own, which is sad if that's true.  In a few years I think this game could eventually dethrone Sim City 4.  

• Original Poster
  • I think for this game to dethrone SC4 which I would enjoy seeing we need to see more people play yes, As long as modding can continue and advance with no limits then this game I think will be a huge success and honestly one of the things I think game developers should focus on is their Brilliant idea of the GEMS.

These GEMS could be sold as expansions and be quite good personally the way cities XL does their management of cities where we can view profitable companies and still see how other companies are failing because of lack of frieght or they cant get office supplies yadda, yadda

I think their is a huge opportunity here for gems like

ROADWAY Trucking Corp, SAM's Yellow Taxi Company, UPS, or FED-X Gems, Along with the possibility of being able to later maybe even implement a good train frieght and or passenger GEM that works between the players other cities.

One doesn't need to do this if they don't like to ,micro manage honestly though I think a lot of folks enjoy the aspect of running things and it is proven that many of these gems could actually kind of imitate like a railroad tycoon. I just think if the developers go this way that their game becomes somewhat endless in possibilities as the new GEMS affect the fact that the companies within the city can be more profitable which makes every players game unique.

Originally posted by: chocolate_city

Considering that they're asking what buildings you want to see in Cities XL 2011 sounds to me that they are not too eager to let folks create their own, which is sad if that's true.  In a few years I think this game could eventually dethrone Sim City 4.  quote>

Except that Focus already said sometime ago that they are big supporters of modding and want to give us the tools as soon as possible.