Sign in to follow this  
Gath22

Concerning custom maps

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey, I have two question's with custom maps:

- I am on windows 7, I have tried both SC4 terraformer and SC4mapper, but I can't get either one of them to work, which is a problem, because almost all of the nice map's have to be installed using these programs

- My city is on a 3x3 map, but in retrospect this is not enough. Is there a way to add more land? (apart from importing it to another region)

Check the software requirements for Woungaine's programs.  He often writes in Python, and you must have it on your machine to run his stuff.  Python is usually a free download, and it is far from my favorite language for writing code.

You have to be a bit of computer rat to run a lot of this stuff.  If you are not, and don't want to be, stay away from external programs.  You might want to look at Greyveil's Landscape Designer for a program that creates regions within the parameters of the game and allows you to use the game rendering mechanism.  You may still have to pick up some additional software to run it as it needs the Access run-time as a minimum.

To change your map, you can monkey with the config.bmp file provided there is no grey-scale map.  You can add land to the bottom and the right.

I don't think you need Python installed - the Terraformer works fine for me without it.

The most likely reason why the programs don't run is because you don't have DirectX9.0c installed. Windows Vista/7 come with only DirectX10 or greater, which seems to be somewhat separate from 9 and earlier. You are however able to install 9.0c side by side with 10. Try installing 9.0c (there should be a link in the readme, or [click here]) and see if it works. If it doesn't, make sure that the other required files (listed in the readme) are on your system.

Personally I've never been able to get the mapper to work on my Vista system (only on my XP computer), but the Terraformer works fine for me

Originally posted by: Gath22

Hey, I have two question's with custom maps:

- I am on windows 7, I have tried both SC4 terraformer and SC4mapper, but I can't get either one of them to work, which is a problem, because almost all of the nice map's have to be installed using these programs

- My city is on a 3x3 map, but in retrospect this is not enough. Is there a way to add more land? (apart from importing it to another region)

quote>

Check the SC4T/Mapper readme for the DirectX 9 files you need to have installed.

Also, you can edit the config.bmp file by adding to the bottom, and/or right of the present region.

Large city: blue, 4x4 pixels.

Medium city:  green, 2x2 pixels.

Small city:  red, single pixel.