Sign in to follow this  
Infamous Blob

Making Realistic Looking and Smooth Railways

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi folks 4.gif

I'm kinda having a problem, I would like to create railroads that are nice and smooth without having to level the terrain all the time. This seems impossible, I get sections of zig zag track and even when I do level the terrain it takes a fair few attempts to get the track smooth, and even then it's often not quite perfect, especially when the railway has to go up a hill, it just having a sharp and sudden unrealistic incline. I have NAM installed which has made the issue of excessivly sharp corners better with the wide angle curves, but there's little I can do with this.

Soo yeah, any mods out there that can let me create a nice smooth railway 4.gif

All help appreciated (again) 4.gif

No matter what slope mod you use, realistic track cannot generally be done with just wantonly laying track across the terrain.. there is no substitute for microterrain work along the track.. further if you are looking for 'realistic track" you must actually lay it similar to the way a real railway would be done.. by "surveying the terrain" and laying the track as nearly along a path that is as close to 0-3% grade as possible

that's true SC4BOY, its a good idea to survey the flattest route first, but a slope mod will eliminate the mounted tile slopes of the vanilla game. a slope mod (i use the 'very smooth' selection of Un1's mod) is also a great tool for terriforming.