Sign in to follow this  
zing

random game crashing, solved

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

hey all, sorry about this being my first post, i dont know if many people are still wondering how to fix the random game crashing while ingame. The game crashes because the game isnt made for multiple core systems, so what you have to do is force the game to run on one core, to do this...

1- Start the game up

2- Ctrl+alt+delete and open up the tast manager

3- Under processes, right click the sim city 4 process and click "Set Affinity"

4- And have it so only "CPU 0" is ticked, so un-tick everything but 0

close task manager and bam!

shouldnt crash anymore, it worked for me.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S also works for rush hour expansion.

cheers

-zing

Welcome to our conversation.

Sorry, pal, that doesn't always work.  My system has dual cores and I get the same rate of crash whether I run one or two cores.  Tungston has run quad cores with no assignment of processors with no problems, too.

The main cause of crash, other than the known  problem with puzzle pieces, has been shown to be a glitch somewhere in the program that occasionally steps on a pointer.  When this pointer is dereferenced you really do get an valid ACCESS_VIOLATION error.  On one of these darlings, I got a segmentation error which probably means the pointer was zeroed.

However, be of good cheer.  Your solution works for some machines, especially those on Vista.

Do hang in there and talk.  You would be surprised what useful things you can find out, and you can contribute too.  Maybe you'll earn a Trixie next year.

Oh, and your solution can't possibly work for me, because I don't run on windows.

• Original Poster
  • hi moose, thanks for the welcome.

well as you said its worth trying if your having the crashing issues, it worked for me (so far) and i run windows 7, and obviously wont help mac users haha

cheers

-zing

You can set up your own shortcut to run SC4 on only one processor by using commandprompt .  Here's my target:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "SimCity 4" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off

This means you don't have to manually set the affinity every time you run the game.

I've done my own tests with this, both on 64bit  Windows 7 machines, one of them a quad core pillar/tower and the other a dual core laptop.  It didn't really affect the quad core much, but it has significantly lowered crashes on the laptop, with the side effect of drastically raising the loading times.  Every one has their own situation though, this will work for some and not for others.

EDIT:  Note also that some crashes are unavoidable, such as hovering a network tile over a transit building (eg: hovering a piece of GLR-in-road on top of the RTMT lots will cause the game to crash).

Originally posted by: zing

hi moose, thanks for the welcome.

well as you said its worth trying if your having the crashing issues, it worked for me (so far) and i run windows 7, and obviously wont help mac users haha

cheers

-zingquote>

You are welcome.  Disabuse your charm, this box is not a Mac, but a regular PC from which windows was untimely ripp'd and replaced with UBUNTU.

I will try this out, if it works; Thank you so much, if it does not, too bad for me[i need in-game pics for my upcoming maxis RCI mods(re-lots to more realism)]

EDIT: When I right click, there is no "Set Affinity," instead, there is "Set  Priority." When I select that, there is the following:

Realtime

High

AboveNormal

Normal

BelowNormal

Low

What should I do?

Originally posted by: 3dpuzzlemaster

I will try this out, if it works; Thank you so much, if it does not, too bad for me[i need in-game pics for my upcoming maxis RCI mods(re-lots to more realism)]

EDIT: When I right click, there is no "Set Affinity," instead, there is "Set  Priority." When I select that, there is the following:

Realtime

High

AboveNormal

Normal

BelowNormal

Low

What should I do?

quote>

Press the escape key.  You are on the wrong O/S or don't have a mutti processor.