Sign in to follow this  
Deathtoall

Queensland Flooding

77 posts in this topic Last Reply

The flooding that has been persistent in Queensland took a decidely worse turn yesterday when close to 100mm of rain fell in two hours over the town of Toowoomba to the west of Brisbane. A flash flood has struck the town and smaller villages in the area with numerous rooftop resuce reported. This water is flowing down stream to Brisbane where already dams holding back water are already spilling with the main Wivenhoe dam reaching 160% capacity. With high and king tides predicted over the next week, its estimated that over 6,500 properties in Brisbane will be innudated and up to 19m flood peaks will be reached. Towns to the west and north of Brisbane have been cut off while other towns such as Dalby are recording their 5th flooding events in two weeks. Mid-North Queensland is still recovering from flooding around Gympie and Rockhampton.

Update, floods to be worse than 1974.

Parts of Brisbane have already gone under there is a mass exodus as city empties of workers.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/

For the sake of collection on this event, I'll repost what I said in another thread:

Just to link you guys up, this is the place where the most up-to-date information will be posted live - www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/flood-info-centre-updates-reports-warnings-advice-and-how-you-can-help/story-fn7ik2te-1225985436806

The Courier Mail website (Courier Mail is the main newspaper for Queensland) also has good coverage.

I live in the southern suburbs of Brisbane amongst the little hills. The creeks around here are actually quite low at the moment, though ain't no doubt they'll be breaking their banks and going the highest over I've ever seen in my life. Thankfully enough school won't start for the year until 2 weeks time, so no worries about that (my school is built just beside a creek down the road from our house). I'm hoping to go as close to the river as possible as I can either tomorrow or Thursday (it's not said that Thursday it will peak at 4.2m, which is bad flooding for the river), and I'll see if I can get some pictures to show you guys. I'm only 17 so these will be the worst floods I will ever see in my life so far. This is also some of the craziest weather I've ever known of here in SE QLD (with our storms, their severity and strangeness is just now normal for me). It's in the middle of Summer, it's 25C (though I love that, I hate hot and humid weather) and raining constantly for days. Anyway, it does seem quite chaotic, I've got a few friends on Facebook near the Brisbane River our out west having to evacuate. The shops today were quite crowded in places, especially around the TV screens, and shopping centres have been closing early due to staff needing to get home.

It just feels really weird though. I would've never thought to see the day when the city, and especially the Myer Centre, close down due to flooding. I've seen pictures of the 1974 floods (river level at 6.6m), but I have never imagined of seeing something like that again, yet tomorrow and Thursday seem to be it (they're expecting the rain to hopefully ease tomorrow to a few showers). quote>

DTA: peaks of 19m for ipswich, not 90. Someone had some miscommunication on the news there 2.gif

Can't imagine any of the little creeks in the south of the city flooding much more than is usual for wet weather, apart from their lower reaches. fact is we haven't had much rain over the SE of the city.

The Brisbane river on the other hand... My god

latest predictions is for it to be higher than 74. higher.

edit: some interesting links people might like to see.

Weather radar, on rainfall mode. http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR66D.loop.shtml#skip

The upper area of the catchment for the brisbane river has has 250+mm per day for the last 3 days in a row (and today, the third day, had 250 in the last 6 hours, the day isn't even half way done yet)

Dam levels, updated every morning http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/dam-levels

As you can see, jumped 40% in a day, 30% day after, think they'll hit full flood capacity, which is 2.5 million megaliters (about 220% full) by tommorow.

90m flood peaks in Brisbane.quote>

Surely you mean 19m right...

latest predictions is for it to be higher than 74. higher.quote>

God, I hope that doesn't refer to anywhere near the Brisbane CBD. I think parts of Caboolture and the Northern Suburbs are supposed to get higher than they got in '74. I don't think they mean that overall, though, the waters will be higher than they were in '74. That was done by a Cyclone after all, wasn't it?

Tbh, I'm just glad it hasn't struck my area... although roads in and out are closed so I'm effectively trapped... not that that worries me though. I'd be more concerned if I were anywhere within reach of the Brisbane river ... what was it, something like 2 Sydney Harbour's worth of water flowing into Wivenhoe every day. It's gotta go somewhere.

I don't see why the Clem7 would be closed. It's built under the river in the ground. However, the north entrance may be flooded sometime over the next few days. I'm not too much an expert on north side creeks, but with the rain they've had and flooding already up around Strathpine (just on the tip of the northern suburbs), Morayfield and Caboolture, I'd expect them to flood. I'd expect all creeks around Brisbane to flood to some degree.

@ Sneakeypete - It's actually been constantly raining here where I am over the past 24 hours (I'm from the suburb of Mansfield), with heavy periods throughout this morning and lunch time. I can say the creeks around where I am will certainly go above normal "flood" levels (not that they do flood at all). One of my teachers a few years ago said how bad the creek near my house and school was during the floods in the 1990s (forgot which year). We haven't had so much rain around my area for ages, we don't usually get heavy showers like the northern and western suburbs do, though this time we have, so I'm expecting the creeks around here to flood.

And yeah, was just reading that now the advice from Anna Bligh (Queensland Premier for those who don't know) is that it will exceed the levels of the 1974 floods. And @ Cockatoo - Yes, to the Brisbane River now as well. And 19m for Ipswich (I think I also heard somewhere it could get up to 22m).

90m flood peaks in Brisbane.

quote>

Surely you mean 19m right...

quote>

Think it was a miscommunication on part of the newspaper.

As for Clem7, the big concern would be the interchange at the north end... whether it floods or not.

boat-and-pontoon-600x400.jpg

Apparently the river current is extremely strong at the moment.

Originally posted by: Cockatoo-210893

latest predictions is for it to be higher than 74. higher.quote>

God, I hope that doesn't refer to anywhere near the Brisbane CBD. .quote>

It does.

Higher than 5.4M measured at the brisabane CBD, on thursday.

Originally posted by: Asheroo

@ Sneakeypete - It's actually been constantly raining here where I am over the past 24 hours (I'm from the suburb of Mansfield), with heavy periods throughout this morning and lunch time. I can say the creeks around where I am will certainly go above normal "flood" levels (not that they do flood at all). One of my teachers a few years ago said how bad the creek near my house and school was during the floods in the 1990s (forgot which year). We haven't had so much rain around my area for ages, we don't usually get heavy showers like the northern and western suburbs do, though this time we have, so I'm expecting the creeks around here to flood.

.quote>

I live in wishart, and the creek is just across the road form my front door. Have seen it higher on at least 5 occasions in the last 5 years. And the next door neighbours who've been here since the 90's say its been higher than we've seen it. So all in all here, the creeks are not that high at all.

My dad thought this would be the perfect time to go camping up in the mountains, so I've been away for a bit.

Reports I heard on the radio while we were coming back included pontoons swept down the river. The port has closed, and ships have been ordered out to sea by midnight. A tugboat was sent up to the floating restaurant (I forget its name) as it was in danger of breaking its moorings.

The emergency evacuation point for residents of Brisbane who need somewhere to go is the RNA showgrounds.

All in all, I'm rather glad I live on top of a small hill in the Gold Coast. I haven't heard anything about flooding around here.

Welcome back from Camping Astro 3.gif

So far the most recent news I've heard (and no I'm not in QLD) is that Brisbane's been declared a disaster zone so the cops now have the power to force people out. State library has water on it's doorsteps and the worse is yet to come

It does.

Higher than 5.4M measured at the brisabane CBD, on thursday.quote>

Yeah... I just saw the latest news. First time I've ever heard the Channel 7 guy sound so grim, even worried. Let's just hope Brisbane doesn't cop it too badly...

Here's a before and after pic of the area around Rockhampton from NASA's Earth Observatory. [linkie]

For the benefit of foreign readers (most of this site, really), the approximately 1.4 million square kilometres of disaster zone is approximately the same size as the combined areas of Ireland, the UK, France, Germany, and Austria, or about twice the size of Texas.

Parts of Brisbane including south bank eagle street fortitude valley and most of the southern suburbs are under threat that is why on the news that so many businesses west of Brisbane lost every thing MEAN EVERYTHING AND HOMES TO These floods are disastrous and it is very much like watching a horror film but only real

Anna Bligh has revised estimates of the number of homes which will be affected upwards to 40,000. Small towns such as Murphys creek have effectively been wiped off the map. Supermarket shelves are empty after panic-buying

@ Cockatoo I hope for your sake as well but I'm afraid Brisbane is probably going to be hit badly

I have a friend thats near the Obi Obi Creek, so they're stranded.

Makes me glad I'm a Victorian.

EDIT: As of just in, there is now 10 dead. A 4 year old was being rescued, and he slipped out from a rescuer/mother's arms and was unfortunately washed away.

8.gif

Truly tragic, but this is not the only place in the world being affected by current bad weather.  It seems climate change is upon us, will we, nil we.

We've had floods 2m+ higher than this before. Infact we had 2 8m+ floods in one year, back in the 1890's, this will be 5-6m.

Anyway, according to the mayor, the dam is within 600mm of overtopping the emergency spillway, at which point it'd wear down, and would in the process release about a million megaliters of water into the river. Fortunatly, the inflows have mostly stopped, so they'll be able to keep it below that level.