Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

What is your earliest memory

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Some memories stick with you through thick and thin, even if the events were at a very young age.  Care to relate yours?

One of the clearest ones I have is my mother arriving at my grandmother's with two teenagers dragging her on a toboggan.  There was so much snow, poor 4'10" Mom just couldn't get there any other way.  I was quaranteened at my granmother's with chicken pox, and was out of school.  Mom had to come about four city blocks on foot to get there.  Winter of 1945.

I remember looking up at a toddler-sized wooden rocking chair.   I could stand up and grab onto the arm and back of the chair and remain standing.  As soon as I let go, I would again be in a sitting position on the floor.   I didn't understand this.  

I tried doing it very carefully, just letting go with my fingers without moving anything else and I could still not stand without holding onto the chair.   I've had people tell me I can't possibly remember that but I do.

I also remember having the chicken pox years later.  In the summer.  It was miserable.   I still have scars from it although they are very faded and you have to know where to look.  The inside of my left wrist, for instance.  I remember accidently scraping it off when I was pulling my chair up to the dining room table.   Not fun.

Most people do not remember anything from younger than 4 years old. I.... am very much an exception.

I vividly remember having a couple lizards in the house that my mother had brought home for the summer from the school where she used to teach. I remember going to the pet store to buy crickets to feed them, and thinking it was so weird how they could manage to survive all piled on top of each other in a plastic bag. I was 3 at the time.

I vividly remember discovering I was allergic to peanuts after being fed some nut-containing chocolates. Again, I was 3 (and that was a miserable experience).

In fact, there are so many things I remember from when I was 3 that it isn't practical for me to list them all.

Going back a bit further, I vividly remember moving out of our apartment in The Bronx and into our apartment in Stamford. I was 2½.

I even have a few trace memories from when I was even younger. I have this memory of my mother putting me down in my crib in the front room at our old apartment in the bronx. I remember getting into the living room (where I wasn't supposed to be) and toddling up against the baby gate, looking up and seeing my parents at the dining room table.

...I also remember my grandmother changing my diaper, which is just awkward.

I remember being at my grandmother's apartment... outside of it actually, by the pool. It's only an image by now but I know it was before I turned one year old. I'm not even sure if it's possible to remember something so far back but it's not so much that I remember it. I just remember remembering it. This would have been around the spring of 1981 in Arcadia, California.

As far as actually remembering something to the point that I'm sure it actually happened, I remember being 3 years old in pre-school. A friend and I would pretend to be car salesmen with toy cars. We used to say (in unison) "You want it? You got it!" I guess that would have been around the fall of 1983 or the spring of 1984 right here in western Pennsylvania.

My family used to live in a hotel in Florida (my dad was the general manager), and there were these cheesy 80's cabanas on the beach in front that were striped blue, yellow, or red. Of all things, I remember those cabanas distinctly, which puts the memory at no later than 2 years old when we moved north. So it is a very early memory, but a pretty useless one 3.gif

Well I am only 16, so this may help.

I can actually remember my first steps. On my 1st birthday, we were at the beach, and I ran down to the water. Luckily my parents got me. 4.gif

Next after that, I'd say going to a friends place in Tullamarine, about 1 1/2 years old.

I remember going to Disneyland as a child. This would have been in 1992.

There might be earlier memories, like how my Dad's friend would babysit me. Only memorable because he had a Nintendo, and a cat I loved to torment.

Edit: I can also remember the first time I used a computer. In kindergarten we went to the school's computer lab which was full of Macintoshes. I remember the teacher saying you had to click on things with the mouse by pressing the button twice, she would say "pizza pizza" like the old Little Caesar's pizza commercials 3.gif So silly I can't forget it.

My earliest memory that I can still visualize (I have a visual memory) is the hour leading up to me falling off a ladder as a toddler (before I could speak sentences, my earliest subject-verb phrase/sentence was I'm stuck when I was stuck in my body cast but that is not a first person memory, I only remember being told that I said that). We were supposed to dig up potatoes with our bare hands. I did a little bit of digging (dirt is fun to play in) but I got bored and I remember climbing a ladder for no reason while a big boy/ young man (bigger than me, smaller than dads, I was told he was a teenager at the time) held the ladder. Everything else is a blur. My mom said that I was in critical condition and kept all the terminally ill cancer patients awake with my screaming of pain but I do not remember the pain only the hour leading up to the event. I even remember how the back yard and back of that house looked (it most likely looks different now). It either had French doors or big windows next to the back doors.

I have vague pockets of memory from when I believe I was around 2 or so as I remember crying at a the old Kroger in my hometown because my Barney cookie fell apart in my hands. I also remember the carpet in the first house I lived in was red and where most of the furniture was and I also remember spilling all the dog food from the dog food dispenser in the basement.

We moved in May or June of 1994 which means all those memories happened before I was 3.

I vaguely remember trying to ski down the stairs indoors when I was 4 and living in London. There's also the Eiffel tower climb around that time as well.

One thing that's vivid in my mind is Pre-primary/Year 1 in Kalgoorlie it doesn't snow there (ever) so we used newspaper to make our own winter wonderland

Well, when I was 3, I fell of a chair with my head banging on a very sharp edge of a table. That's probably my earliest memory. Or when I was 4, I vomited over the clothes of my teacher 3.gif

Originally posted by: Frdm920

I vaguely remember trying to ski down the stairs indoors when I was 4 and living in London. There's also the Eiffel tower climb around that time as well.

One thing that's vivid in my mind is Pre-primary/Year 1 in Kalgoorlie it doesn't snow there (ever) so we used newspaper to make our own winter wonderlandquote>

Snow? In Kalgoorlie? Let me know when that happens, and I'll tell you the end is near.

I do remember going to Mt Baw Baw (which is only an hour and a half from us) for snow.

In our area, it has snowed before. One time coming home from school, dad decided to drive up the mountain to show us the snow. One of the most memorabl moments was actually having a white Christmas (freak snowstorm in middle of summer, thats Melbourne for you!)

Being bottle fed, while mom held me close. Learning to crawl backwards(Did it this way first, lol). Dad choking mom and burning her hair off over a lit gas stove(I was two yrs old). My first rocking horse at 3 yrs. Biting dads toe, sticking out from under the covers, 'cause I thought it was the cold hotdog I had taken with me to mom and dads bed the night before. First day at Kindergarten, at Emerson Elementary.....Actually, I remember just about everything from the minute my eyes adjusted.

My earliest memory is actually my 3rd birthday, and I did not know what was happening and everyone was clapping and singing happy birthday and I started to cry! My mom got the camera and video tapped it, I remember that forever. I have no idea why I started crying when everyone was singing the birthday song. My mom told me that I did not know what was going on and got scared. Haha!

For me, maybe little things when I was three. I was never really typical even at that age. My parents even got worried thinking that I was developing autism and took me to a therapist. I have escaped full-blown autism, thankfully, but later at a neurologist when I was 11, it was said that I would have had autism had I not gone to the therapist. I'm thankful that I'm in better mental health now. I got lucky.

And... if you think about it, there are millions of people around the world who aren't so lucky. I feel very blessed to have escaped something like that.