Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Clouds

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was having trouble seeing my region and cities with the clouds obscuring areas I wanted to watch, so I turned them off.  That was three days ago, and since then the number of CTDs has reduced noticeably. 

I got to thinking about it, and realized that the clouds option puts a big load on the graphcis section of the program.  Here we have these random clouds appearing and disappearing, and moving across the frame.  If you know any graphics programming, you know this is something that programmers take in stride, but there is a lot of drawing going on.  As clouds appear, the landscape is obscured, and as they move, you have to restore the view beneath them as they move for each pixel that is unconvered or covered.  This is a lot of processing, and the program is very fragile.

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in CTDs when you turn clouds off?

Definitely makes a difference for me!

I play with clouds and waves turned off and have shadows set to low.... I can play for hours with good panning speeds and no CTD 4.gif ( well, unless it's self induced because I dragged the wrong piece over a station etc.)

Being on dual core with Vista I run in XP Compatibility Mode and have the game set up so it runs on one core and priority is set to high. I also make a point of not having anything running in the background.

I never play with clouds to save power, and I have only got CTD once or twice out of 3 months. Shadows are low, and I don't think waves are on, if it is ocean waves. What is UI Transluency?

i play with waves and clouds, but have shadows turned to low. shadows still look good on low and don't bog the system, but i like the clouds and waves for aesthetic reasons. If the game crashes because of it, then so be it.. the game is going to crash...

take up saving after lay something down before you zoom out and you will always start up right where you left off.

one thing i wish is that the waves had a 3d render like the rest of the game so you could see waves rolling in, and the ability to cause tsunamis and rouge waves... or have tidal forces that would expose land for a time and then cover it back up... and i wish they also left in above the water table water, and weather, like the first simcity on snes

and also i like to set my clock to 12/25 to look at the snow

I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've been very, very careful when it comes to CTDs, though, and haven't gotten many (I save the game before I even zoom in or out!). I'll take your word, though, and remove them. Thanks for the tip!