Sign in to follow this  
Papissama

World's Favorite Videogames chosen by the people

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

If you feel like putting your 2 cents in, then go here and make your Top 25 favorite game of all time list (1st=25pts, 2nd=24pts, ..., 25th=1pt).

Here are current results involved 698 gamers so far.

Other top-lists are available (by year, decade, genre and systems) if you want to mess around with more of them.

Check out my own list of top games (what a great list, i know):

http://www.unikgamer.com/members/papissama-1.html

Post the link of your Top games and feel free to discuss your choices!

Check it out if you got a few minutes to spare, it's a really fun concept, especially if you're a longtime gamer (and bored 4.gif)

That list is bogus, how can Goldeneye 64 be only 32nd?

Plus Sims and Sim City arn't even on the list, these "gamers" are obviously biased towards Nintendo.

Planescape:Torment sould be in the top 25.

And no sign of any on the old SSI Gold Box D&D games or

the one that started it all Zork

West of House You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here

Well, naturally, the typical crap is in the lead.

Final Fantasy is probably the stupidest game series in existence and deserves to dominate the bottom of the list, not the top. Legend of Zelda is a nice bunch of games, but calling any of them anything close to the best game ever is undeserved. And of course Portal, easily the most overrated game in the past decade, is clocking in nicely at #16.

I wasn't expecting to see a Megaman game as high as #71, but of course it would be Mega Man 2 - the game which gets the most public acclaim but is far from the best in the series.

And Duke Nukem doesn't appear until #162. 30.gif

Oh, and Larks? SimCity actually is on the list (Classic is #362 and 2000 is #376). So is The Sims (#319).

I'd be inclined to contribute, but generating a list of my top 25 games isn't really a fair request. I can name good games, great games, awesome games, meh games, bad games, and horrible games, but I wouldn't be able to rank them.

Originally posted by: Duke87

Well, naturally, the typical crap is in the lead.

Final Fantasy is probably the stupidest game series in existence and deserves to dominate the bottom of the list, not the top. Legend of Zelda is a nice bunch of games, but calling any of them anything close to the best game ever is undeserved. And of course Portal, easily the most overrated game in the past decade, is clocking in nicely at #16.

I wasn't expecting to see a Megaman game as high as #71, but of course it would be Mega Man 2 - the game which gets the most public acclaim but is far from the best in the series.

And Duke Nukem doesn't appear until #162.

Oh, and Larks? SimCity actually is on the list (Classic is #362 and 2000 is #376). So is The Sims (#319).

I'd be inclined to contribute, but generating a list of my top 25 games isn't really a fair request. I can name good games, great games, awesome games, meh games, bad games, and horrible games, but I wouldn't be able to rank them.

quote>

Its all subjective anyway. I think Tie Fighter/ X-Wing were 2 of the best space combat games ever, Civ 3 one  of the best RTS ever but they were some were in the 500s so not every one feels that way or mabey even likes those type games.

there were a lot of those in the top 100 that were 2-3 years old.Top of mind style rankings were most of the voters havent even played the older games.

Supprized Madden wasnt #1

A quick search of sales figures can give anyone easy access to the top selling games. Looking at reviews of the top selling games can give anyone a comprehensive list of the top rated games but everything else is subjective.

Originally posted by: Duke87

quote>

I ment the first page, i diden't even bother to check the others cause the first list is so abysmal.

Btw where is Myst? The one game that started it all.

My current favourite game right now is Galactic Civilizations II (been playing it straight since I got it last week)

What I see as critical failures of that list, up to 200,is...

- I didn't see Total Annihilation which I and other people believe is the greatest RTS made to date.

- Lots of kids games that were mass marketed and ended up in bargain bins.

- Way too much Final Fantasy although I did like a few of the installments just nowhere close some 30 odd incarnations of greatness (maybe not 30 but there's a lot)

- That list favours far to heavily on console games and the PC games represented seem only to really be the mass marketed ones.

@ Larks 2242: Myst would have been good for me but it was ruined when the version I got came with a walkthrough book.

@Duke87: I think Megaman II was the breakthrough that made the series what it is but I agree that there are better ones. I liked Mega Man III and Megaman X the best there though.

Originally posted by: EyeofMobius

I think Megaman II was the breakthrough that made the series what it is but I agree that there are better ones. I liked Mega Man III and Megaman X the best there though.quote>

First of all, some advice on nomenclature:

In fan circles, the games you're thinking of are always numbered with Arabic numerals (2,3,4,5...). Roman numerals are reserved for the game boy games. This is done as a way of distinguishing between games which otherwise have the same name.

Anyways.... Megaman 3 is without a doubt better than Megaman 2. Megaman 9 and 10 also have to get a nod as far as the classic series goes.

Megaman X is a great game, but I'm going to have to be unpopular and say that Maverick Hunter X (a.k.a. the remake) was actually better, all things considered. And anyways, the best X series game is X8.

The most underappreciated, underrated Megaman game is Megaman Network Transmission. It went by somewhat unnoticed due to being a Gamecube exclusive, and the reviewers didn't like it because they complained it was too hard (it isn't. In fact, it's a fairly easy game once you know all the cheap tricks you can exploit).

Originally posted by: EyeofMobius

@ Larks 2242: Myst would have been good for me but it was ruined when the version I got came with a walkthrough book.

quote>

See thats the thing the older games never came with walkthoughs so if you were stumped you coulden't move.

I remember trying to solve Riven, that had to be the hardest puzzle game ever made with all the different shaped eyes.

I always liked games that required thought, Monkey Island although older then me was a game i played when i was young and it is still as good as it was i recently rebought the game remastered on PS3 and noticed the hint system, diden't need it cause it all came back to me, but it does take the fun out of it, i remember beig stumped at certin parts (Mixing the ingrediants to get to monkey Island) (How to get the banana picker) (How to get the head) ect. for weeks to months and wanting to throw the computer out the window, but then again that is part of the fun of it.

I really liked the Lucus arts SCUMM (Point & Click) Engine IMO one of the best ever.

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: Barbarossa

It is definitely all subjective, as Easy Bakes pointed out. I think it is important to consider time-frames. quote>

Tops by decade are also available if you wish to consider time frame.

You can do your Top 20s of '70s, '80s, '90s or 2000s.

Or you can just do Top 10s year by year (from 2000 to 2010 available for now though)

• Original Poster
  • 800 gamers have contributed so far!!

Out of these 803 gamers, 202 have Ocarina of Time in their list!! That's just crazyy!!

If you've made a list, don't be scared to be picked on and post it.

It's okay if you listed 3 Pokemon in your Top 25. Man up and be proud 9.gif

PS: I've never played a Pokemon game yet, but I promise to try Black & White when it comes out!

That list is in 1 word weird... games like Duke Nukem should be in the top 25 but it's far from close to that. And a lot of games in there that in my opinion shouldn't even be on the list.

And I found SimCity 4 too - on place 554... (page 12)

• Original Poster
  • More than 1000 gamers are in and the new version of the site is finally up 9.gif

Some new cool features have been added with the redesign but it's still not finished yet.

What do you guys think so far though?