JeeKTan

Making buildings grow as desired.

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I think that you mean growing different style of building like Chicago or Euro-Contempary of whatever... In SimCity, one of the six main buttons in the center bottom changes the style of buildings. Deselect that one that you don't want and it should only the ones that you selected.

Those style are for the entire city, hoever, not for a desired area.43.gif

With careful manipulation, you could set the style and then zone.  You could then move on, resetting the style.  However, the simulator may redevelop your area, so you should probably mark the buildings your want as historical to exclude them from consideration.  This is a lot of work, as you have to mark each building.

You need to download the SimCity 4 Extra Cheats Plugin.dll by Buggi (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2261) (Plugins folder not sub folder). When in game open up cheat box by pressing Ctrl+x, Right click box a list of cheats  should come up, go down list to BuildingPlop a list of all your lots (Buildings) should appear. Obviously they are not grown. 

Thanks

Tommyc25

13 hours ago, tommyc25 said:

...BuildingPlop a list of all your lots (Buildings) should appear. Obviously they are not grown. 

You could do that, but I would recommend you familiarise yourself with the following beforehand:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4297

For residential this simply will not work. Try all you might, if you want a functioning city, plop res simply won't cut it.

What this really depends on, is how far are you willing to go to have control. The game comes with four buildings styles, the "tileset". You can freely select between them, limiting the items that grow to one of these styles only at any time. Only for this to be useful, you may have to modify your content so that you can group them into sets that give you more freedom to build how you want.

This will never give you the kind of control I suspect you are looking for though, something like C:S offers with the Building Themes mod. If there was a realistic opportunity to make such a thing work with SC4, you can bet I'd be headlong down that rabbit hole.

Well, it can work even with growables! I have been successful in growing exactly what I want where I want (provided that there is demand for the desired building type and that the stages mix vs population criterion is met), by utilizing the game's "transient aura effect" (a sharp increase in desirability as soon as you plop a park or plaza, that wanes afterwards), and of course marking/unmarking as historical. Made some special lots for this. I also use the Less Abandonment mod by Bones1, which won't let you grow easily $$ and $$$ buildings where desirability conditions are marginal (therefore they won't dilapidate easily, as they can tolerate some drop in desirability, which is normal as the area becomes more dense and congested).

Found an older post about this, so take a look at this thread - and the links in my post (it describes the technique in detail).

Here is a pic of one of my cities.

4cLTDOX.jpg

http://imgur.com/4cLTDOX

As you can see, development is almost "commanded". R$$$ close to the shore, then R$$ condos, and the two rows closest to the avenue (hidden by C deelopment) is gonna be R$$ hirises (I've already got the first one, it's a stage-7 3x3, and will finally be upgraded to stage-8 3x3). The tenements will slowly be replaced by R$$ condos and hirises too, and the people sent to the R$ area at the top right corner (already got a R$ hirise there). As a sidenote here, it would be good to know what buildings and and on what lot sizes are available for a given "tileset", and the best way to do this is open simcity_1.dat in the reader and use the Navigator Tool to get the lists of the lots. Custom content is available too, but is often poorly modded, so it would be best to check its stats (esp lot stage and size, jobs or residents and Building Value) and compare it to the ingame stuff, before installing and using it.

Close up of the R$$ area. You can see the condos grown in clusters of 6. The second row has a 1x3 lowrise lot left next to each 2x3 condo, as these will be aggregated into 3x3 hirises.

4nCGUdB.jpg

http://imgur.com/4nCGUdB

A R$$$ area. Villas grown as desired again. Hilly terrain, so a lot of terraforming was needed, and I had to use slope mods and those retaining walls too.

ZOVmu1J.jpg

http://imgur.com/ZOVmu1J

And finally my CS area.

vJxlWey.jpg

http://imgur.com/vJxlWey

The small buildings are CS$, with 143 and 173 jobs each. The larger ones are CS$$, with 198 jobs. As you can see, CS$ can actually be too dense, about half the density of tall CO towers, so it doesn't really take much space, if you can get those buildings.

Hope this helps

Frankly, this is a lot of exacting, meticulous work.  The game is set up to pull up random lots and to change building styles every five Sim-years, so you have to do some initial work to fix the building style for openers.  Then, using @cogeo's strategy, you can do this. 

This is not the object of the game, which is to get commuters to and from work regardless of the style of the buildings.  This is not a city building game but a transportation game, so whatever one does against this means a lot of blood, tears, and sweat.

On 2016-03-09 at 2:00 PM, cogeo said:

Well, it can work even with growables! I have been successful in growing exactly what I want where I want (provided that there is demand for the desired building type and that the stages mix vs population criterion is met), by utilizing the game's "transient aura effect" (a sharp increase in desirability as soon as you plop a park or plaza, that wanes afterwards), and of course marking/unmarking as historical. Made some special lots for this. I also use the Less Abandonment mod by Bones1, which won't let you grow easily $$ and $$$ buildings where desirability conditions are marginal (therefore they won't dilapidate easily, as they can tolerate some drop in desirability, which is normal as the area becomes more dense and congested).

Found an older post about this, so take a look at this thread - and the links in my post (it describes the technique in detail).

Here is a pic of one of my cities.

4cLTDOX.jpg

http://imgur.com/4cLTDOX

As you can see, development is almost "commanded". R$$$ close to the shore, then R$$ condos, and the two rows closest to the avenue (hidden by C deelopment) is gonna be R$$ hirises (I've already got the first one, it's a stage-7 3x3, and will finally be upgraded to stage-8 3x3). The tenements will slowly be replaced by R$$ condos and hirises too, and the people sent to the R$ area at the top right corner (already got a R$ hirise there). As a sidenote here, it would be good to know what buildings and and on what lot sizes are available for a given "tileset", and the best way to do this is open simcity_1.dat in the reader and use the Navigator Tool to get the lists of the lots. Custom content is available too, but is often poorly modded, so it would be best to check its stats (esp lot stage and size, jobs or residents and Building Value) and compare it to the ingame stuff, before installing and using it.

Close up of the R$$ area. You can see the condos grown in clusters of 6. The second row has a 1x3 lowrise lot left next to each 2x3 condo, as these will be aggregated into 3x3 hirises.

4nCGUdB.jpg

http://imgur.com/4nCGUdB

A R$$$ area. Villas grown as desired again. Hilly terrain, so a lot of terraforming was needed, and I had to use slope mods and those retaining walls too.

ZOVmu1J.jpg

http://imgur.com/ZOVmu1J

And finally my CS area.

vJxlWey.jpg

http://imgur.com/vJxlWey

The small buildings are CS$, with 143 and 173 jobs each. The larger ones are CS$$, with 198 jobs. As you can see, CS$ can actually be too dense, about half the density of tall CO towers, so it doesn't really take much space, if you can get those buildings.

Hope this helps

you damn commie... ;)

On 2016-03-08 at 9:22 PM, rsc204 said:

You could do that, but I would recommend you familiarise yourself with the following beforehand:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4297

For residential this simply will not work. Try all you might, if you want a functioning city, plop res simply won't cut it.

What this really depends on, is how far are you willing to go to have control. The game comes with four buildings styles, the "tileset". You can freely select between them, limiting the items that grow to one of these styles only at any time. Only for this to be useful, you may have to modify your content so that you can group them into sets that give you more freedom to build how you want.

This will never give you the kind of control I suspect you are looking for though, something like C:S offers with the Building Themes mod. If there was a realistic opportunity to make such a thing work with SC4, you can bet I'd be headlong down that rabbit hole.

Actually, residential seems to work- as long as you zone residential beforehand- and have it desirable enough to sustain its residents...

4 hours ago, rsc204 said:

Keep checking back on that "working" residential. It's not a sustainable method of play.

Caveat Emptor.

How long? 50 in game years in and still working.

I don't like ploppables anymore, since it makes things look so plain and monotonous (that is, unless I need to due to a demand cap I need to reach).

But the ones I put in (I demolished a lot to build my monorail lines still worked.

Basically, plopping residential only works to speed things that would have already eventually happened- up.

I suppose plopping industry doesn't work?

Both Commercial and Industry can be plopped, subject to certain restrictions which are very important.

You see things may appear to be working, but sometimes dig a little deeper and you'll realise they aren't.

"All those commuters that plopping the tower added are imaginary and eternal.
They have exactly the same effect on the demand simulators as the eternal commute circles around city corners."

See the linked thread on SC4D from my March 9th post. Perhaps that's why your Monorail isn't being used?

It explains why plopping buildings is not the best idea. How to plop Com and Ind so that it doesn't break your game. And why plopping Residential is ultimately a futile idea.