Sign in to follow this  
Z77

Logo Ideas

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello Simtropolis4.gif I have a problem, and i would kindly ask for some help. You see, i am in the process of starting my own business, Mainly repairing computers and also any other electronical equipment (TV's, Radios, Surround Sound systems, Etc.) And Building and selling Computers. I have ideas pouring out, like advertising ideas, budgeting, Price Schemes, But, for the love of shiny things, I cant think of a good logo. So, i was going to ask, what are some good ideas? This is a start of idea that i have so far.

24013564.jpg

Just this shape. But, believe it or not, it was a hallelujah moment with this shape. I was eating fries, and they fell into this shape. I began to look at the fries, and like in a movie, Music started playing in my head (seriously, I started hearing Hallelujah! Hallelujah! 29.gif *), and i jumped up and scribbled down the shape. Its a simple shape, but i like it4.gif

ANYWAY....The only Criteria is that it has to have Carter somewhere around, by, through, etc. It doesn't have to be this shape either. But id probably lean toward designs with it involved. I would much appreciate any feedback. 4.gif

*Maybe hearing music in my head isn't a good thing...But all successful entrepreneurs are a bit crazy anyway3.gif

Welcome back.

That curve eventually goes down, which is probably not appropriate for a capital outfit.  As a graph it suggests a laborious climb and a speedy descent.  Not a good business idea.

I am no artist, but I might suggest something like a horse and cart (Carter) with a graphic fading it into something quite modern and computerish.  As I think about it, you could use the horse and cart (with driver of course) as a watermark.  Maybe delivering a cart load of technological images.

The music that goes with your graph hits me as "Did you ever see a cow with a blue eyebrow/down by the sea".  Sorry, but that's what strikes me at 7 a.m.  If you want a curve, try something either parabolic or hyperbolic.  If you were going to specialize in communications you could use a catenary.

For a motto, how about "Let us take you into the future" featuring the transforming carter.  Other than Carter, Inc.  have you given any thought to a business name?  Be sure to register it.

Now, for a dose of reality.  You know it will take at least three years before you turn the corner.  Make sure you have funding for at least that much time.  If you can operate out of your home for a while it would be useful.  Business premises are expensive.  Have you talked to your banker? 

Tax implications of operating a business domiciled in your residence can be quite useful.  In Canada, if you live in a, say 10 room house counting the finished basement your work out of, you can deduct the cost of running that portion of the house applicable to your business.  Use your imagination here, but be honest.  It is subject to audit.  Postage, phone charges, Internet charges, etc.  One-tenth of your property taxes, etc. Bathrooms and kitchens don't count.

Keep a good set of double entry books.  If you don't know much bookkeeping, there are programs around that will do it, but you need it seen by a CPA or a CA at least once a year.  You don't want anything on your books to be disallowed by the tax guys.  After you set up your system, you should have it reviewed by a certified accountant to make sure you comply with the local/state/federal requirements.

If you have a good bank, they will help you construct your business plan.  It is important to have that on file with them after it has been vetted by both your lawyer and your accountant.

If you will be dealing with the public, talk to your insurer.  You must have appropriate liability insurance, and enough to protect you from frivolous law suits, especially if you are domiciled in the U.S.  It is especially important if you are going to employ anyone.  If you can, do it on contract rather than on payroll.  Payroll source deductions are a labyrinth of regulations you should try and avoid.

And yes, I have been there, and done that.

Well you could go with that image and but fancy bubble letters in it if you want, possibly even a few more of the same curve around it and a tv or radio in it too?

I'm sure it takes alot of time for most logos to get created, there are free programs out there that can be used to create different types of logos.

• Original Poster
  • @ Nonny Moose

You know....now that i think of it...The shape isnt that swell...

I do fully understand the implications of starting my own Business and have thought about it. I have already talked to my local government offices and have gotten a plan of attack on how im going to start to run things.

My plan is, indeed, to start to work out of my house, and to make house calls to people if they need it. I am also currently in the process of purchasing binders, invoice papers, filing cabinets, and other organization tools. Since im starting out low on capital im going to be doing things budget friendly for awhile and if need be, wait on purchasing certain things that i may not need quite yet. But my ultimate plan is to have a physical buisness in at least 10 years. The only thing left to do is to contact a local CPA or other such tax buisness. I do know that here in the US, you have the same types of tax exemptions with housing and automobiles.

And trust me..im glad that you've been there. It gives a little extra help4.gif

More power to you my lad.  Banker's boxes make great interrim filing cabinets and saves the capital purchase of cabinets for later.  Just label the folders and the boxes well, and stack them in a corner.  I think they'll tolerate being three deep.

Running on personal income means don't quit your day-job until you have to.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

That curve eventually goes down, which is probably not appropriate for a capital outfit.  As a graph it suggests a laborious climb and a speedy descent.  Not a good business idea.quote>

That can be fixed by rotating the image

logomkr.jpg

I like the second shape better. Maybe have the name coming out from the shape with the Western most part of the first letter centered in your shape. Then double underline the letters that aren't in the shape. All letters and underlining in a red or blue, that could look pretty good.

• Original Poster
  • @ Nonny Moose

Nah. I dont plan on it. Not yet anyway. I want to build it up until i can get enough capitol coming in to move into a physical residence comfortably.

@ Meg

Hmmmm....ideas ideas.....4.gif

Ummm.....here goes...

What is your target clientele?

What do they relate to?

Is this a local business?

If local what is the city around you like and what sort of positive recreational activities are asscociated with it?

What images does the industry of your business have asscociated with it?

What image do you want your clients to percieve of you when they look at your logo?

Colour or No Colour?

I am from a city known for two things primarily and this is reflected in so many of the businesses around here. The two things are the wild west and the mountains. We love our mountain recreation and the tourists love the wild west throw in the oil and gas industry and the primary economic image of the city is there (a cobwoy, his horse, an oil derrick and a moutain backdrop). So maybe if you are in a coastal city that with industry or recreation around boats your early symbol might be a good sail.

No logo has to be definitive in its design and abstraction works well a lot of the time. What you are really aiming for in a logo is something that people can glance at in an instant and say "Ooooh, that's _________(descriptive word fitting in with your business image). So once you get some sample logos find some sample audiences and play some word association with them. I don't think ST will be the best for this becuase when you post the images we can just sit there and analyze them in our own time. Find RL subjects that you can show the logos to and get snap answers on them. Don't ask them which they think is a good logo just ask them the first word to describe the business in front of them. Like someone says Toaster and the other responds with warm.

Before doing this I would recommend writing down a list of all the qualities you want your business associated with and then group them into clumps that feel like they go together. Then when you finish testing all your logos, preferably on people who would be potential clients, you will see where a logo fits into each descriptive image. Logos are not meant to be analyized unless you are studying them in school; logos need to impart the correct stimulus to a clients subconcious more than anything.

Hope this is helpful.