Sign in to follow this  
Timewarptrio

Mass Transit Usage Problem

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

My city has about 100,000 people, and I have had a subway system for years. Everything is connecting with stations and rails.

The problem is that the subway system only gets a little bit of use, and that use is only in one-fourth of the city! I will check again to see if the other parts are connected with stations, but I am almost certain that it is. I built the subway system to reduce traffic, but it isn't that much of a problem anymore.

Why won't the sims use the subway? Is my city just too small? I was also thinking that they only use the subway in that area because there are a lot of people and jobs, etc. there.

Should I just wait and add more stations to the subway in better places or switch to another mass transit system (monorail)?

BTW,  the only plugin I have installed is the NAM (version 29.) I tried to change the mass transit usage to "High (European) on the traffic simulator that comes with the NAM, but I dont think that it worked. And I have the Rush Hour Expansion Pack.

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you have high rise buildings along the subway, try putting a station adjacent to each one or in pairs.  This is necessary if the wealth level of the buildings is $ as these guys generally don't hve cars.  How is your bus traffic?

If you have a lot of car traffic is will be mostly R$$ and R$$$, of which there should be less than 50%.  The working end of the subway must have stations throughout the working areas or bus stations to allow sims to transfer.  You might try simplifying all this by using the RTMT.

• Original Poster
  • Okay, I totally redid my subay system, trying to build the stations near big buildings before buidling the rails. It seems to have worked better, because I saved almost $1,000, and have about the same usage: Subway Traffic Pic. I also redid the bus system.

I tried to insall the RTMT , but I don't think that it worked. What does it change so I can see if it works?

Originally posted by: Timewarptrio

I tried to insall the RTMT , but I don't think that it worked. What does it change so I can see if it works?quote>

RTMT doesn't 'change' anything, it adds various transit stops and stations to the game that you are able to place on top of the routes rather than beside them. You should see these additional stops and stations in Misc. Transportation menu. For more information, check here (Link).

"because I saved almost $1,000"

That says it all right there, actually. Those % preference for mass transit numbers are influences, not hard limits. That is to say, if driving is shorter than a subway line with too many stops along the way (and involving too much walking to get from home and to work etc...), it will always win regardless of the "preferences." Saving money on the rebuild means you probably have shorter routes and/or less stations, not to mention more strategically-placed stations. Think of it like demand vs. desirability, they both have to be "just right" for certain buildings to grow. No matter how much demand there is, nothing will grow where there isn't enough desirability. Likewise nobody will use mass transit if it "costs" too much time-wise, even if they have100% preference for it.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks, everyone! And I was just wondering, do sims pay to use the subway, and if so, can you change the price? Also, can you reccomend another form of mass transit for the future of the city? I was thinking monorail.

Sounds like CJ time. 2.gif

As for fares, yes they do pay. It's a very small amount, but that amount is per tile crossed. So the more distance a sim travels on it, the more you collect; it's not based solely on how many sims use it. Yet another fine example of how "balance is the key" in this game - keeping in mind my earlier post, that the transit must be shorter than driving to be used vs. "the longer the better" for taking in fares. For what a subway costs though (and NAM increases it even more I believe, for realism - subways are very expensive), I'm not sure 100,000 people is enough really. Maybe for one line that gets used heavily enough, but you need serious use of a subway system in order to start seeing it pay for itself. At best you might be able to afford the expense until then. Well you be the judge, it's your city and subway, Mayor. 10.gif

Originally posted by: Timewarptrio

And I was just wondering, do sims pay to use the subway, and if so, can you change the price? Also, can you reccomend another form of mass transit for the future of the city? I was thinking monorail.

quote>

Spinmaster gave the correct answer to your first question; I'll merely add that the Sims' mass transit usage is completely unaffected by what the fares are.  If you want to change the fares, the easiest way to do so is with the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, which can be found as part of the NAM Traffic Subsystem.

Originally posted by: Spinmaster

...if driving is shorter than a subway line with too many stops along the way...quote>

You actually can't have too many stops for subways, or for any form of mass transit, at least in terms of how trip speed is affected.  Mass transit vehicles in SC4 are essentially implemented as being single-occupant (despite the appearance of the automata), and they never stop at intermediate stations.  For all subway stations and for other mass transit stations that are built properly, they don't even slow down.