Sign in to follow this  
GoNzOTW

Sim City 4 on steam...

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

I already own this game on disk, but with the steam sale I'm considering getting it on steam as well for convenience.

Are there any downsides to the steam version when compared to the disk version?

I should also ask, how does it run on Win7 64 bit?

it's pretty nice not having to put the disk in when playng the game... one of the biggest downsides is not being able to play it on windows 7 64 bit... which is what my desktop uses... i mainly play it on my netbook which is windows 7 starter and has no disk drive

i suggest you only purchase it on steam if you dont have a 64 bit operating system and lack a disk drive

Ok so tis thread is relevant to my interests.

So let's be clear, it runs nice, mods are compatible, no issues bringing in cities built off old installations and it WILL work on Win 7 64bit so long as Aero is disabled? Is that all? Sounds awesome.

I think this is the first time I've bought a game three times. Although I might've done that with World of Goo too...

I just picked up the Steam version also, at $5 USD how could you not? Hoping to migrate all my plugins and regions across without too much hassle. Anything to watch out for?

Personally I am not a fan of the Steam service. I prefer downloading through Impulse though SC4D isn't on sale right now. I just don't like the Steam activation stuff that goes on all the time. If I do see it on sale on Impulse I'll post it though.

I guess the one nice thing you can probably say about the Steam version is that you don't need to have your CD in the tray. [Edit: Removed subject not permitted.] I prefer having my own media.

Edited by CaptCity  

Also running on Win7 Pro 64bit.

Only issue I have so far is importing regions, but I have a workaround for it.

Was going to get it off of Steam for $5, but the sale ended before I could purchase it. :(

So I just downloaded it off of D2D for $5 (I guess they heard about the Steam sale and wanted to match the sale price).

Everyone to his own taste. I prefer to have the media in my hot little hands.

I am going to buy a copy of Deluxe, because my present copy of SimCity4 has deteriorated. Fortunately for me, my paranoia has caused me to have a backup, so that when I wiped out my hard disk, I still was able to restore the game. At the moment, however, I cannot do a reinstall.

issue's with mods they seem not to work with my steam copy of SM4 D. any ideas' or help?

Edited by Fayader  

issue's with mods they seem not to work with my steam copy of SM4 D. any ideas' or help?

Because steam uses a different file system structure, automatic installs won't work. Use the MAC versions.

Because steam uses a different file system structure, automatic installs won't work. Use the MAC versions.

cool ty very much for the help. and where do i dl the mac mods? i'm not sure what the difference in them is. i kinda looked here but no luck really.

Edited by Fayader  

You can also just run the standard installation and then move the resulting files into Steam's plugins folder.

For most plugins, there aren't any specific MAC versions; if they have an installation program, you would have to extract the files from it. This can be done, but I don't know which programs would do this on a PC; in any case, I think the first alternative I mentioned is easier.

You can also just run the standard installation and then move the resulting files into Steam's plugins folder.

For most plugins, there aren't any specific MAC versions; if they have an installation program, you would have to extract the files from it. This can be done, but I don't know which programs would do this on a PC; in any case, I think the first alternative I mentioned is easier.

Quite true. Set up a false structure like this:

C:\<user>\Documents\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins

You don't need any other folders. When you get an executable installer, let it put its stuff in there, then move the whole works, usually a subfolder) over to the steam structure. Note that I said move, not copy.

The steam version has had less bugs then the CD version, so I'm liking the steam version.

Not true. The difference is that the patches have been applied. CD users must apply the patches. Otherwise the versions are identical. The build number has been increased to 641 as an indicator that the game is a download. The other difference is you don't need the CD (that you don't have) in the drive.

so Anonny Moose. your saying i need to set the plugins folder into the SC4 steam dectory? i have a plugins foldernow in the same stop you talked abouit befor. if all i need to do is move that then that a really easy fix.

so Anonny Moose. your saying i need to set the plugins folder into the SC4 steam dectory? i have a plugins foldernow in the same stop you talked abouit befor. if all i need to do is move that then that a really easy fix.

Correct. The download releases have their own structure, probably for proprietary reasons. Silly, but you have to cope with corporate paranoia. For people who got the original game and the rush hour expansion there is a slightly different structure than the one for deluxe. The whole thing is a stupid failure of the vendors to think.