Sign in to follow this  
Pipcard

Is it okay to use the default Maxis highways in your CJ?

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Why  should it be so bad not to use them? 

Well, yeah, I still use them. NAM team associated, civil engineer IRL, learned how to plan highways in university but still in war with the RHW

I admire those who can do RHW but in my CJ I am still using Maxis highways. I am so slow with everything else, if I would use RHW I might not be able to update more than once in a couple of month... 18.gif 

Originally posted by: Nardo69

Why  should it be so bad not to use them?

I admire those who can do RHW but in my CJ I am still using Maxis highways. I am so slow with everything else, if I would use RHW I might not be able to update more than once in a couple of month... 18.gif quote>

Heh... me too. It would take me a whole month just to make one interchange. Not to RHW bash, though. It looks great, but it's just too much for me.

I currently use RHW in my newest cities, but I also show cities displaying Maxis highways. There's nothing "wrong" with them, but I feel they're not realistic enough. Nevertheless, Maxis highways can even look good in very dense environments, where on/off ramps and interchanges have to be as compact as possible.

And yeah, I also need a long time to build a single interchange, but the result is worth!

I use Maxis HW in my core dense zones to get the feeling of crampedness and the feeling that the highway was an after-thought. I use RHW in my less dense areas because RHW needs a lot of room.

I love the wording of the question

"Is it ok?"

"do you have to?"

Well actually if you don't use sunken highways then you get arrested and sent to SimPrison.

Yes, the Maxis highways are not 'bad', it is most certainly ok to use them in a CJ. Don'be intimidated by massive, well done RHW networks (*cough cough Blue Lightning), you can pull off a Maxis highway looking fabulous. There are a few advantages it has over the RHW:

It has 3 elevate lanes, while the RHW has only 2 elevated lanes.

Interchanges are loads easier to construct.

Curves are easier to make.

But you may still want to learn how to use the RHW. Take baby steps. Learn what is an acceptable distance between exits. Learn how to exploit it, and you can make great things with it. But if you're not comfortable with it, the Maxis highway is more than fine.

-ROFLyoshi

Maxis highways are very useful, especially in the dense cities. You can use both the Maxis and the R.H.W. highways and mix them as you want. Nobody will blame you if you use the Maxis highways. Besides, those creations will be yours, so build them as you want.

While I recommend RHW to those who have the patience and need to use them, I have actually removed that package from my system.  I found it too much civil engineering for my taste and requirements.  For the same reason, I don't use a lot of the stuff that's available.  Maybe that's ascetic of me, but I have always operated on the "nothing in excess" principle.  I only use stuff I fully understand, and I am currently in the learning curve for RHW.  One thing at a time.

The Maxis road network is quite acceptable to me, and I don't think any artist should be driven by the opinions of others or his creativity will become stifled.  Do your own thing.

Originally posted by: ROFLyoshi

But you may still want to learn how to use the RHW. Take baby steps. Learn what is an acceptable distance between exits. Learn how to exploit it, and you can make great things with it. But if you're not comfortable with it, the Maxis highway is more than fine.

-ROFLyoshiquote>

What is acceptable distance between exits? Is there a formula or is it just instinct or "I wanna put it here"?

Originally posted by: Pipcard

Are the default elevated highways (with texture mod) okay for making a dense Japanese-style city?quote>

I dunno, sounds dangerous to me.

I do use both (although I haven't tried any city I'd deem appropiate for a journal, and I still dislike the off-site image hosting), but I would like to be able to use both in combination. My biggest problem comes when I'd like to have the wider RHW connect to a Maxis highway (NAM team--we need transition tiles between Maxis Highway and the 3-lane RHW--the same for Maxis Highway/NWM. Something that limits my use of the RHW is the practical limit of 2 levels--imagine using a RHW premium version that can manage up to six levels. That's what's found on the very most tallest interchanges--think of the High Five of Dallas (5 levels-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:High_Five.jpg ) or the stack with frontage roads at the Puxi district of Shanghai (6 levels-- Viaduct_in_Puxi%2C_Shanghai.jpg ).

And why did you have the doubt on whether it's OK or not to use Maxis highways?

I do use both (although I haven't tried any city I'd deem appropiate for a journal, and I still dislike the off-site image hosting), but I would like to be able to use both in combination. My biggest problem comes when I'd like to have the wider RHW connect to a Maxis highway (NAM team--we need transition tiles between Maxis Highway and the 3-lane RHW--the same for Maxis Highway/NWM.

One of the big limitations with doing Maxis Highway transitions is the fact that they're generally model-based and getting the scaling right is rather tricky, as the Maxis Highways are as much as 40-50% narrower. One of our developers has played around with RHW-6S-to-Maxis, but it's on the backburner right now, and I can't give an estimate as to what version number in which it'll appear.

Something that limits my use of the RHW is the practical limit of 2 levels--imagine using a RHW premium version that can manage up to six levels. That's what's found on the very most tallest interchanges--think of the High Five of Dallas (5 levels-- http://en.wikipedia....e:High_Five.jpg ) or the stack with frontage roads at the Puxi district of Shanghai (6 levels-- http://upload.wikime...2C_Shanghai.jpg ).

The official long-term plans for the RHW system include the addition of 3 additional heights of Elevated RHWs. In addition to the current 15m-high ERHWs, networks at 7.5m, 22.5m and 30m height are also planned, which, coupled with the ground-level networks, will allow for a 5-level system. The more or less full Multi-Height (MH) system is planned to be in place by RHW Version 5.0, with some initial components being phased in as part of the RHW "4.x Series" that we are currently going through (the next release is Version 4.2). We'll also be phasing in Elevated Wider RHWs as part of that process.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Edited by Tarkus  

I tend to use the Maxis highways in my cities. Firstly, because I build the city first and then add the highway after when the city gets large, the Maxis highways are much easier to work into the city grid than the RHW. Secondly, RHW takes MUCH longer to build. It can take 10 minutes to build a diamond interchange that takes 5 seconds to build with Maxis highways.

You should also consider those cases in which the city is mass transit oriented--in that case, you'd have more buses, subway/GLR/elevated rail, monorails, heavy rail and ferries, not highways. If someone isn't into highways but needs some, the best thing to do is to use the Maxis highway (possibly with the NAM essentials additional interchanges, but not beyond that).

Edited by Dragonxander  

I use maxis highway to recreate what in Italy is called "tangenziale"...it's not a real highway that runs around important cities allowing people to get faster at work or to another part of the city(like in Milan or Rome)...An highway in Italy connects different cities together(for example Milan and Rome or Turin,ecc...)...I think maxis highway are the right way to recreate it!!!

When I connect 2 cities together via another city tile, I usually build Rhw 4 and add one set of exits and build a town around there.

When the city starts to get crammed in, I convert the RHWs to Maxis netowrks to save space