Sign in to follow this  
Manick2005

Unable to run SC4Mapper2 on Windows 7

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

It works fine on my Win7 64 bit version. Make sure to install the DirectX 9 redistributable, even though Win7 already has DirectX 10 built-in, and install the DLLs that are needed, in case they are missing (copy them to the SC4Mapper folder).

Who knows. I have never been able to get it to work on Windows 7 and that is after installing all the DLL files and DirectX 9 redist and following the instructions carefully. Can it and use on of the other programmes which do work, without all the hassles such as Terraformer.

You can find more information on the Mapper, and Terraformer in the Mapping Community Room forum.

I haven't heard of a lot of sucess getting the Mapper to work with Win7, but the SC4terraformer does work with Win7. You might try it.

You can find a list of the DirectX 9 files needed in the readme. The DirectX files are installed in the Windows\System32 folder.

You can find more information on the Mapper, and Terraformer in the Mapping Community Room forum.

I haven't heard of a lot of sucess getting the Mapper to work with Win7, but the SC4terraformer does work with Win7. You might try it.

You can find a list of the DirectX 9 files needed in the readme. The DirectX files are installed in the Windows\System32 folder.

The major problem with SC4Mapper in Vista/7 as I recall has to do with the fact that your documents folder path points contains a \U in the file path (right at the beginning, as it's normally located in C:\Users\username : I believe that wouanagaine used this as one of the command switches, and so the program interprets the C:\Users\username\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions path as a command switch when it hits \U. I moved my personal Documents folder (which moves the SC4 plugins and regions folders as well by default) (terraformer I believe does NOT use such a switch, and that's why it works by default as long as you have the required .dll files).

(note that username above would be replaced by the name of your user account on the computer.

You can move this folder using the following technique (this technique should not cause any problems, but you may need administrator privileges to perform this action:

1. Create a folder somewhere where you are going to move the Documents folder. Make sure that the path of this location does not contain \U or \u at any point in the file path, or it still won't work.

2. Right click on your Documents folder, and select Properties.

3. In the dialog box that appears, select the Location tab.

4. Click the button labeled Move. This will open another dialog box.

5. Browse in the new dialog box to the folder you created at step 1, and select it. Once you have done this, click on the Select Folder button. This will close the second dialog box.

6. If a prompt appears requesting confirmation for the action, click Continue, or type in the password of the adminstrative user if required (if you have it. You may need the owner's permission to do this) and then click OK/Continue.

7. You have now completed moving the folder. You can safely close the Properties dialog box at this point.

If this doesn't allow the program to run, it's fairly simple to move the folder back using the same process (except you'd use the original folder location at steps 1 and 5).

This process also changes the registry entries for your personal documents folder, which SC4 and most modding programs read from (I believe SC4Terraformer and SC4Mapper both do this, as do most of wouanagaine's programs, and most modding programs for SC4 in general.

As such, it is important to follow the procedure for moving the folder above; just moving the folder in Explorer as you would any other folder doesn't update the registry, and programs will still look for C:\Users\username\Documents\... unless you edit the appropriate entry in the registry (and I'd only do this if you know what you're doing - A badly composed registry entry can really screw up your computer).

You may need to change a few settings in some other programs, but you'll only have to do this once for any given program. It should be a relatively small number of programs that will require you to do this however; most programs these days read from the registry entry and should update the location of this folder internally themselves without any intervention.

Note also that you still require the files that wouanagaine says you need in the readme/his support thread over at SC4D/the relevant thread here on ST. Note also that I can't verify that this works on Win7, but it does work on Vista (I used this workaround to get it working myself), and there are reports in the comments on the download for SC4Mapper at SC4D that this trick does indeed work in Win7 as well).

Edited by cammo2003