Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RJN

Questions about Regional Play and other things

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hello people of simtropolis, i have some questions for ya, first of all

1-If u have a city with lots of demand of some kind (like commercial), that helps the other neighbor cities or that affect them badly?

2-having a poor city next to a middle class or high class city is bad? or that helps the rich city?

3-rich people is unstable and i prefeer having middle class people in my cities, but i don't like much the I-M, so I-M its very bad? i wanted to have middle class with I-H its that possible?

4-airport  and landmarks help a city? how? i don't see growing C demand

5-why i-A produce so much water polution? it's possible to have a middle class I-A community?

6-I have real highway mood but , why sims don't use it for going to one city to another?, if i have it, and i have other road, they use the road.

7-why sims prefeer using one way roads than avenues?, i made avenues with one way roads on both sides and they use the one way road even if there isn't any building.

8- what i have to do for making a good city with the help of regional play?

thanks for all and sorry for long post  ( and sorry for my english)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. it depends on your play style. obviously not every city is going to have the same mix of RCI, just try to make sure that you satisfy the demand required somewhere in the region.

2. again it only effects demand, generally R$$$ don't like living too close to R$ but having them in seperate cities can help solve demand issues in the high wealth city.

3. yes even IHT only provides i think 10% of its jobs to R$$$, so a R$$ IHT city is entirely possible provided there is a small amount of R$$$.

4. Airport affects the regional commercial cap and landmarks improve desireability, both only really have a noticeable effect when your region is thoroughly developed.

5. it is not really possible as IA only employ R$, if you have an issue with water pollution try using a water treatment plant.

6. Sims will still commute by the quickest route to a neighbour tile, if the road is more direct/shorter they will still use the road.

7. there is no advantage to them going onto the main avenue, in terms of speed. so why should they?

8. you have to think more of your region as one city and city tiles as boroughs, but you must compromise to meet the constraints of the sc4 simulator. look through some of the natural growth CJ's to see how regional play is vital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Thanks a lot mightygoose 4.gif that were my biggest questions on sim city (i have been playing since 2006 with some time gaps) but i still don't understand much the regional play thing, the region has a commun demand or something? you said i have to make the region like a big city so if i have a problem in a city that affects the hole region?

    Merry Christmas to all Simtropolis! 4.gif

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Well, try to get a handle on the basic algroithm of the program.  It is written to prefer a balanced set up in each tile over the whole region.  Trying to separate Sims into different wealth classes can be detrimental to your region's health, as the game will fight you on this.

    Remember the demand graph shows wealth requirements, not zoning needs.  A high value of R$ demand suggests you need a lot of tenements (zone letter E).  Generally speaking, while R$ will live on single dwelling lots, they live in trailers or modular homes or small cottages (sometimes two to a lot).  R$$ and R$$$ are attracted to houses, R$ are attracted to high-rises and MURBS (Multiple urban dwelling places, zone letters E, W).

    I very seldom use landmarks.  They don't pay their frieght.  Airports may come in handy sometimes, but they don't really do enough considering they don't really have any region effect. 

    Surface transport, including ferries, has to be laid out carefully to avoid the drastic Sims-like-to-travel loop bug (unfixable) which will put your net into a positive feedback.  Make your transportation net a tree and avoid loops.

    It is very important in residential cities to keep an eye on the population by age graph.  You can have a city age out, and abandon because no new Sims are being born or moving in.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

    Well, try to get a handle on the basic algroithm of the program.  It is written to prefer a balanced set up in each tile over the whole region.  Trying to separate Sims into different wealth classes can be detrimental to your region's health, as the game will fight you on this.

    Remember the demand graph shows wealth requirements, not zoning needs.  A high value of R$ demand suggests you need a lot of tenements (zone letter E).  Generally speaking, while R$ will live on single dwelling lots, they live in trailers or modular homes or small cottages (sometimes two to a lot).  R$$ and R$$$ are attracted to houses, R$ are attracted to high-rises and MURBS (Multiple urban dwelling places, zone letters E, W).

    I very seldom use landmarks.  They don't pay their frieght.  Airports may come in handy sometimes, but they don't really do enough considering they don't really have any region effect. 

    Surface transport, including ferries, has to be laid out carefully to avoid the drastic Sims-like-to-travel loop bug (unfixable) which will put your net into a positive feedback.  Make your transportation net a tree and avoid loops.

    It is very important in residential cities to keep an eye on the population by age graph.  You can have a city age out, and abandon because no new Sims are being born or moving in.

    quote>

    so, let me see if i understand.

    -its better having a balanced region than a region that have rich ppl in one city and poor ppl in another city.

    -landmarks do not help much a city, but airports yes, just a bit.

    -if i have an aged city, that city will have a lot of abandoned buildings (thanks for touching that)

    PD: When i got better playing sim city and my citizens got always a better standard of living they began to age. I never knew a way of changing that without moving new sims, do you now one way of aboiding that?

    one little question: in the income graph when i get 80k it suddenly went to 30k without reason(like 100 years ago) and i dunno why, why that happends?

    Thanks very much. For helping me i give you some pictures of my city (yeah i know, what a gift xD)

    ramdomcityjun2315128362.jpg

    ramdomcityjun2315128362.jpg

    ramdomcityjun2315128362.jpgramdomcityjan9325128364.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The game only really considers one city tile at a time, and it is programmed to prefer balance.  That doesn't say you can't do what you like.  If you want to have your R$ living adjacent to the dirty industry, why not.  Just build lots of high-rise tenements there.  R$$ and R$$$ won't live there.  You need to look at your desirabllity charts.  Single dwelling lots attract higher wealth provided they are in the appropriate desirability area.  Lots of amenties, and away you go.  They don't have to stay in the same city.  You can move them next door when pressure warrants.  Just don't try it off the top, because you will be fighting the game.

    As far as I am concerned, landmarks do two things:  Take up space, and drain your captial.  Any benefit doesn't pay off.

    As your populatiion ages, they tend to work in commercial when they get smarter.  You can adjust demand with taxes of course.  When development stops, try decreasing taxes a few tenths of a point.  My biggest city has been slowly stepped down from the default 9% to 7% over several tens of Sim-years.  The population will get older and die, so you need to keep an eye on your R$ residential and keep your educaton availability good.  You should get an influx of new Sims by either natural increase or immigration.

    One trick to attract R$ when things start going sour is to zone more dirty industry (you may have to drop their taxes).  Build some high-rise next door, and stand well back.  If you want a dirty slum, no schools, no hospitals, lots of cops.  Put down riots with a heavy hand, but watch your mayor rating.  Bulldoze buildings that abandon.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

    The game only really considers one city tile at a time, and it is programmed to prefer balance.  That doesn't say you can't do what you like.  If you want to have your R$ living adjacent to the dirty industry, why not.  Just build lots of high-rise tenements there.  R$$ and R$$$ won't live there.  You need to look at your desirabllity charts.  Single dwelling lots attract higher wealth provided they are in the appropriate desirability area.  Lots of amenties, and away you go.  They don't have to stay in the same city.  You can move them next door when pressure warrants.  Just don't try it off the top, because you will be fighting the game.

    As far as I am concerned, landmarks do two things:  Take up space, and drain your captial.  Any benefit doesn't pay off.

    As your populatiion ages, they tend to work in commercial when they get smarter.  You can adjust demand with taxes of course.  When development stops, try decreasing taxes a few tenths of a point.  My biggest city has been slowly stepped down from the default 9% to 7% over several tens of Sim-years.  The population will get older and die, so you need to keep an eye on your R$ residential and keep your educaton availability good.  You should get an influx of new Sims by either natural increase or immigration.

    One trick to attract R$ when things start going sour is to zone more dirty industry (you may have to drop their taxes).  Build some high-rise next door, and stand well back.  If you want a dirty slum, no schools, no hospitals, lots of cops.  Put down riots with a heavy hand, but watch your mayor rating.  Bulldoze buildings that abandon.

    quote>

    oh i understand but i don't want to atract R$, i just want that my population doesn't age out a lot. So i need to atract some R$. ok. But next to this city i made a city with a lot of R$ and ID thinking that way i will have al the polution in one city and all the good in the other and in that way the pop of the good city will always have young ppl but i think i am wrong, so what i have to do is make that R$ city into a normal balanced one? and in that way it will help more the city that i showed you? sorry for asking a lot :/

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I would like to make a fully developed region soon, and I was wondering, would it be better to think as a whole (always considering entire region) or focus on everything city by city (other than connections?)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    That depends on the level of detail you want in your individual cities. If you want to lay down huge swathes of high density zoning, then think of the region. But, if you are looking for detail, focus on each individual city with a little of the big picture to make sure you are on track.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    RJN

    Life Expectancy- just means how long they will live, not how old they are

    I believe your average income falling to 30,000 is because it is scaled to the future and not a current time line, you can see this effect more easy in a newer region if you scale the time line up it will flux over time, I guess because of newer technology......

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: Finkle

    RJN

    Life Expectancy- just means how long they will live, not how old they are

    I believe your average income falling to 30,000 is because it is scaled to the future and not a current time line, you can see this effect more easy in a newer region if you scale the time line up it will flux over time, I guess because of newer technology......quote>

    oh well thats a little weird, i don't like that, but ok, if that doesn't affect my Industrial or commercial demand it's ok

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×

    Season's Greetings!

    xmas popup.jpg

    Thank You for the Continued Support!

    Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

    But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

    Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

    Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
    Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

    stexcollection-header.png

    By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

    Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

    Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

    More About STEX Collections