Sign in to follow this  
EyeofMobius

I'm taking up web design as a hobby now too

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey All,

My dad has asked me to figure out how to make a web page for his small business so I would like to start this thread to get me rolling as he would like me to put something together for the new year. His business is recovering furniture and creating new furniture constructions. The business does not focus on mass production but occasionally makes multiples of individual items to fill large orders like hotels and restraunts.

A background on computer skills I have to help you figure out first where I need to start:

I have dabbled in LUA, DOS, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, MS Office including Access. Currently figuring out BAT and ilive reader, GIS software. I stress dabbled in most of these as my skills are wrought with friction towards program obiedience. I am alright with picking up new coding I just need to use things practically to get a feel for them.

I currently have Adobe Design Premium Creative Suite 3 and MS Office 2003 as the tools I have at my disposal for making pretty things on my laptop.

Now for specific questions.

1. Will need free or inexpensive web hosting services that is free of spam and pop-ups. Should I look locally?

2. What type of coding language should I pick up as a near beginner for this?

3. How much am I able to create offline and then just upload to functionality?

4. Handy & helpful web tools that are free to do up?

More will be added to in time but this will hopefully get me started. Thanks in advance for the help.

1.  Try your ISP.  Mine gives me 5MB free.

2.  HTML is the least compilicated but it is like assembly language.  Probably a good starting point.

3. 100%

4.  Mozilla Kompozer will do construction and publishing for you.  You can concentrate on the design.  If you want to accumulate lists, you'll need more web space, but I wuldn't rush that.  It really looks like yours is an advertising site similar to mine.  If you want absolute control over the publishing, use FireFTP (a firefox plugin).

If you want an example, look at my site.  You are welcome to look at the source.

There is an illustrated tutorial book called HTML made easy or somthing like that published by IDG, which is a good guide.  Any large bookstore should have it.  It is not worthwhile to learn a language like PHP unless you are intending to do a lot of maintenance or run a forum.