Sign in to follow this  
beevis

Building rail underground

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

This has probably been answered 100 times before but I can't get the search to return anything except errors so he is the problem

I'm trying to send my railway underground. So far I have managed to get the rail to go under roads but can't work out how to get it to go under empty tiles. I'm sure it must be possible to do, I have the latest nam version.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for rail networks?

Unless you are trying to get an underground rail station set up, I don't see why you want this.  One of the biggest problems with putting surface rail into a tunnel is ventilation.  You are dealing with diesel locomotives here with both air supply and exhaust to deal with.

Can you use GLR with a transiton to subway?

• Original Poster
  • I want to send it under a couple of roads with some empty tiles between them with out having to go up and down between points. I have been on SC4D I don't think I can actually do what I want to do without making some sort of custom piece which is beyond me.

If you are trying to use the Underground Rail pieces, there are some pieces included that have grass textures. If you have the newest NAM, you should see three Underground Rail Pieces icons in the Rail menu (Duel Road, Ped Mall, and Intersections). The second one (Ped Mall) has the plain grass pieces. Select the icon and Tab through the options. The Grass pieces are at the end of the loop. Using these pieces, it is possible to make something like this...

UGDRail.jpg

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

Unless you are trying to get an underground rail station set up, I don't see why you want this.  One of the biggest problems with putting surface rail into a tunnel is ventilation.  You are dealing with diesel locomotives here with both air supply and exhaust to deal with.

Can you use GLR with a transiton to subway?

quote>

Wasn't there a mod to make the unground rail turn into an uncovered rail that is sub street level.  I can not remember if it was GLR or underground rail.   I'd love to find it again though, just don't know where I saw it.

EDIT:  yep yep, I found it.  Was over at devotion.  It turns GLR into Sunken GLR

Almost wish they would do that to the nam underground rail.  I have no use for under ground rail but I have a huge use for sunken rail just like they have done with this GLR

Isn't there a piece that turns regular rail into a subway? Couldn't you use that?

BTW If you were recreating a New York kind of city, you would have to put you heavy rail underground, which is how they do it, especially in Manhattan.

Given the particular setup you have there, I'd go with an ordinary tunnel. Looks like you have plenty of open land on either side to ramp down smoothly.

An alternative (and more realistic) approach might be to elevate the highway and roads over the railroad. You can do this with Elevated-to-ground transitions, or if you have enough room (looks like you do) use land ramps to do it. The main difference between the two is the transition pieces would only be as wide as the road or highway, whereas the land ramps would be 6-wide; 2 for the highway, 1 for the road, 1 for that space in between, and 1 each on either side of it all... plus I'm guessing 2 more for another road and space on the other side of the highway, out of frame. Would look pretty schweet I think!