Sign in to follow this  
budweiserdude23

Barry Sanders Project

1,987 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hey guys ( some thing of a mission statemnt),

How is everybody doing? I certainly hope everything is going well on your end. As for me, RLS is the SSDD if you know what I mean.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I still lurk about and wanted to make a proposition of sorts. I've begun to play with the BAT again and I felt 2 things are missing for our project to really make it work.

1. Custom textures (Hey baldy?)
    2. Custom queries. (with sound)

Now seeing that a massive project index can be inventoried and completed (NDEX & BSC), I figured what the hell, time to restart this bad lad.

Seeing as these 2 powerful modding and batting groups can do as such, I thought it time to throw our hat in the ring to rededicate ourselves. We had come so far yet, to be honest with you all, we have fallen way short of our expectations. I figure What The Hell, now is the time to put our best foot forward towards this project. To finish that website, to finish the RenCen, to finish whatever else, and to recruit a new member (or members) willing to help us on our custom queries amd such.

If NDEX and the BSC can do it, why shouldn't we?

I completely agree, Budweiserdude.  It would be nice if we got some help.  I also think Baldy has done an excellent job with the textures.  Especially with what we saw on the Kales Building.

As far as what is going on with me, I can tell you that no work will be done until I finish this semester.  My last day of class is April 19th, and many of my exams occur in-class, except for one on the 26th.  I wouldn't doubt that I would have a lot of time to work on the project since I know my friends will be studying for exams, and they won't have time to do anything.  When I haven't been working, my social life has taken over, reducing the time in my room.  But when we aren't out and around Ann Arbor, we have spent a few afternoons in Detroit.  It seems like the entire hall I'm in has taken interest in the city, and now we visit it almost every two weeks.  I just took a whole bunch of people up into the Broderick the other day, and I'm sure we will be returning to other sites.  These visits have given me the opportunity to take photos of Detroit buildings that we may think about creating for the BSP. 

I look forward to finishing up the Dime, and then Ford Field.  I really want to see the Penobscot in the game as well, since it's such a significant building.

downtownd.jpg

SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS
    WOLVERINE'S 1000th POST
    39.gif

Thanks for all the compliments on the custom textures guys!  I have no problem doing custom textures for anyone if needed since I don't really have the time to work on buildings.  What I did with Farminsim is that he would send me a screenshot of the wall of the building and I would use it as a guide to create a full wall texture.  I think it worked pretty well.   I sent him a couple of other wall textures a while back, but have yet to see them on the building.  I may have to lighten them up a little and brighten up the KALES lettering.

Speaking of models, my model of 150 west jefferson is available to anyone wants to try and complete it.  The entrance needs work and the roof needs to be added, but the majority of it is done.  I created this before I really understood texturing, so it might take some time to group everything to texture.  I have a ton of pictures for this building that I took when creating the model, so I will create a group of custom textures for it.  Any takers?

If all goes well, you will see Ford Field by July. The stadium will be completed in phases. So far, the most difficult phase has been completed, so things should move quicker within the next few months.44.gif

Can anyone give me the highlights of this thread? I don't have the time to read the whole thing.

I'm sure some of you have gone to DetroitYes.com to see their photo tours of Detroit?

At the begining of the thread there is an un-updated progress list.  And the site would talk more about it but the site still isn't done 23.gif.

But basicly if you go through and read all the replies with pictures and essays you'll be all set 5.gif

Date: 4/7/2005 4:02:08 PM
    Author: kefka

At the begining of the thread there is an un-updated progress list. And the site would talk more about it but the site still isn't done 23.gif.

But basicly if you go through and read all the replies with pictures and essays you'll be all set 5.gif
    quote>

read ALL the replies?? Let me clear out a few hours.

• Original Poster
  • Date: 4/7/2005 4:02:08 PM

At the begining of the thread there is an un-updated progress list. And the site would talk more about it but the site still isn't done 23.gif.

quote>

Okay, but in our defense we have lives outside of this community. Wolverine is in school and has not had the time to finish the site. I work a ton and go to seminars/classes that are work related, so on and so on. Everybody associated with this project has RLS of some sort. To top it all off, none of us had any true understanding of the bat for a while and what was learned was self taught and/or learned from the tutorials at ST. So before you roll your eyes at us, think about that for a bit.

Granted, we would like to kick up the production numbers here a bit but I'll choose quality over quanity any day of the week. There appear to be some very nice bats in the works here in the future, looks like release dates this summer. That being said I continue to tinker with RenCen every now and again. I've been playing around with another bat as well but it's turning into a nightmare. I may scrap it as it is extremely heavy in the polys from some reason. It slows my computer down to molasses every time I try to putz with it. That said, that bat believe it or not is Hockeytown. Weird that a smaller building like that is giving me a headache.

Woooo, wolverine needs to turn on the fans in here.

First off, welcome Beitsaad! Glad you found our thread! It's great to get some new blood around here. And yes, I have visited the DetroitYes website. In fact, I'm a member there at their forums, but don't post much. Just look for username Wolverine. The same applies for skyscraperpage.com and urbanplanet.org.

Don't worry about reading all of the replies. Basically, I can't really say what projects are currently being worked on, or nearly finished. But most of them are fairly large buildings from the Detroit area. Last year around this time I began working on Ford Field, and I plan to finish it this summer. I also started the Dime Building in downtown Detroit over break. And I guess I should spill the beans on this next coming project....

I recently got used to using 3D Studio, although I would like to finish my other models with this program, I can't because GMax files don't open in it, even with using conversion programs. So I'll have to finish parts of them in 3ds and import them into Gmax. So, to practice with 3Ds, I built Hudson's Department Store (now demolished in real life) I've been working on it during my classes instead of taking notes. So, I have been fighting RLS, and fortunately, my grades have not fallen. That's a pretty risky thing to do as a U of M student. I have two more weeks of college and then I'm done. I have had free time, but I'm usually out having fun with friends, for I won't be seeing them all summer until classes begin in the fall.

But anyway, here it is.... One of my professors knows how to work the lighting on it, so you may see some lights on in this this building in the coming weeks.

hudsons.jpg

hudsons2.jpg

I built this in just a few hours, not joking. Obviously, it still needs exterior decoration, but I can't do that until college is over. Right now, my workload demands are just too high. Can you say 72 hours without sleep?

Anyway,
    Using 3ds is great, it is so much faster than Gmax, and renders are great. Wow, I should share the wealth. 2.gif

Other projects being worked on by me:

Dime Building
    dime.jpg

Ford Field
    ff_11.jpg

I'm not saying that nobody is doing any work, I'm just saying that nobodys reporting about their progress anywhere for someone that hasn't read the entire thread to see.

I'd join and do a few BATs, but the website still isn't done, and websites are alot easier and faster to make than BATs.  If there isn't too much work left on the site I could even finish some of it up or something.  But if a team can't get a small website running how can they model all of detroits big detailed beutiful buildings?

btw, the Hudsons building is looking good.

• Original Poster
  • Date: 4/9/2005 11:45:27 AM

I'm not saying that nobody is doing any work, I'm just saying that nobodys reporting about their progress anywhere for someone that hasn't read the entire thread to see.

I'd join and do a few BATs, but the website still isn't done, and websites are alot easier and faster to make than BATs. If there isn't too much work left on the site I could even finish some of it up or something. But if a team can't get a small website running how can they model all of detroits big detailed beutiful buildings?

btw, the Hudsons building is looking good.
    quote>

We model them slowly I guess. I was able to churn out some material last summer as I was not working much but ever since I picked up my new job it's been difficult to do much else other than work, eat, and sleep. Perhaps the answer you are looking for is this. We really do care about this project but we have a tendency to go in periods of lots of activity to periods of next to nothing. No pressure type of atmosphere, we've agreed to produce stuff at our own pace. If the pace is too slow for anyone, that's too bad because this is a game after all and not the #1 to do thing in our lives.

That being said, it looks like some progress is taking shape. I guess the best thing for me to say is have patience. Thanks.44.gif

I wish I could figure out the programs and work on designing some buildings. I have no artistic ability though. Ah well, such is life.

Speaking of the ren cen, wasn't it in SC3000? Or maybe that was 2000??? I dunno, but maybe that could be used as a starting point for the Ren Cen?? I'm sure you guys have already thought about that, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Wolverine, I know how 72 hour weeks go, I work for a CPA firm and it's Tax Season. I can't wait until Friday, I will be playing some SC4 like mad, much to my girlfriends dismay.

Basicly, the buildings in sc3k are little 2-d game sprites while the buildings in sc4 are 3-d shapes.  The only thing the sc3k version could be used for is a reference, but it doesn't make a good one (it doesn't even have all the towers which made me upset in sc3k).  You could give the BAT a shot though, in some of the other forums there are directions on how to get started, you don't neccecarily need to be good at drawing in real life to be able to make a building.  It will take practice though...

• Original Poster
  • I have no artistic talent whatsoever (unless you consider a stickfigure art) and was able to work with the bat. It does take patience to use it, alot of patience if you have no experience with 3-D modeling like I did when I started. Trsut me on this, if you do try use the tutorial here... http://www.simtropolis.com/tutorials/Essential_Bat/

It will give you the basic in and outs of the bat. You definitely want to start with something rectangular in shape that is not too difficult. As for SC3000, that was a horrible representation of the RenCen. It was as if they figured the Peachtree Tower in Atlanta was a close enough representation of the RenCen. That simply won't do for us.

hey guys this idea is outa hand! no but seriously, hines construction does most of the amazing buildings in detroit, and their site can be very helpful. i can try and get schematics and stuff from my friend but dont hope for it heres the link www.hines.com

• Original Poster
  • Way off topic but too important not to mention. Well, yesterday morning I was going through my normal routine, which consists of a shower, breakfast, etc. After that it's time to head to work so I proceed down the stairs from my apartment to the parking lot to find....my work van MIA!!!! Yep, stolen from the lot. Long story short, it is going to be one helluva a hassle trying to recoup the loss of the tools as they were only covered up to $1000 on my policy and $1000 on the companies policy (the van itself was covered under the companies' policy) Now $2000 may seem like alot but when you have $5000+ in tools it isn't squat. So trying to get this all straightened out is going to eat up some of my time here for a little while. Just friggin wonderful!!! If I ever catch the son of a bi---... wow the results wouldn't be pretty.

Anyways, I've noticed the RenCen thread has been revived. Interesting, guess I'll have to post some pics soon in that thread2.gif

Date: 4/13/2005 12:09:31 PM
    Author: budweiserdude23
    Way off topic but too important not to mention. Well, yesterday morning I was going through my normal routine, which consists of a shower, breakfast, etc. After that it's time to head to work so I proceed down the stairs from my apartment to the parking lot to find....my work van MIA!!!! Yep, stolen from the lot. Long story short, it is going to be one helluva a hassle trying to recoup the loss of the tools as they were only covered up to $1000 on my policy and $1000 on the companies policy (the van itself was covered under the companies' policy) Now $2000 may seem like alot but when you have $5000+ in tools it isn't squat. So trying to get this all straightened out is going to eat up some of my time here for a little while. Just friggin wonderful!!! If I ever catch the son of a bi---... wow the results wouldn't be pretty.

Anyways, I've noticed the RenCen thread has been revived. Interesting, guess I'll have to post some pics soon in that thread2.gif
    quote>

Sorry to hear that. Remember to keep all of your documentation and information because come Tax Time next year you may be able to claim a casualty loss deduction and obtain some of that money as a break on your Taxes.

• Original Poster
  • Date: 4/13/2005 12:12:17 PM
    Author: Beitsaad
    Date: 4/13/2005 12:09:31 PM

Sorry to hear that. Remember to keep all of your documentation and information because come Tax Time next year you may be able to claim a casualty loss deduction and obtain some of that money as a break on your Taxes.

quote>

Yeah, most definitely. To suck up a loss like that is going to be tough but it was it is. Home Depot card, prepared to be maxed out44.gif You know what really chafes my nether region is that they singled out my van not for the vehicle but its contents and to be honest with you the ass that stole it would probably only get a grand at best for everything that was in there. The vehicle itself was not in the best shape, respectable looking but not worth the effort to steal by itself. Argh, the whole situation make me want to choke someone. Oh well, such is life.

Date: 4/12/2005 4:50:44 PM
    Author: wolverine943

hey guys this idea is outa hand! no but seriously, hines construction does most of the amazing buildings in detroit, and their site can be very helpful. i can try and get schematics and stuff from my friend but dont hope for it heres the link www.hines.com

quote>

Hines is a very helpful site. Their holdings contain some of the largest properties in Detroit, and have done alot of redevelopment work.. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Hines wanted to redevelop the abandoned Statler Hotel, but the city said no, and decided to illegally demolish instead. So close to saving it.

Anyway, it's too bad about your van and all the tools BD, I hope your losses won't be too great and you can recover what you can. Let us know how that goes.

hey, for some reason the barrysanders site is down, so i was wondering where the awsome buildings that youve created are located? i would love to have them in sim city4! oh yeah by the way, have any of you made the city of detroit as realistic as possible? i would love to see a screeny if you do. try and get a screenshot of 13 mile and telegraph, if you have it. that would be awsome! thnks.

Date: 4/13/2005 12:35:34 PM
    Author: budweiserdude23

Yeah, most definitely. To suck up a loss like that is going to be tough but it was it is. Home Depot card, prepared to be maxed out44.gif You know what really chafes my nether region is that they singled out my van not for the vehicle but its contents and to be honest with you the ass that stole it would probably only get a grand at best for everything that was in there. The vehicle itself was not in the best shape, respectable looking but not worth the effort to steal by itself. Argh, the whole situation make me want to choke someone. Oh well, such is life.
    quote>

That's always what I say, such is life. I am assuming you live in the Detroit area? I'm up in Flint myself and I know how people value their tools in blue collar communities such as ours. A good Deal on tools (no matter where they are from) can go a long ways.

Also, if you guys are looking for any 'off topic' messageboards, I moderate a pretty decent paced board. www.ufck.org We are growing and making changes into an informational type of place.

hey guys i was reading the other pages in this forum and i saw what you were saying about the broderick tower. i always love looking at the mural in the sunset during tiger games at comerica. it looks quite beutiful. but as far as i know, Hines ended any future plans to renovate the broderick. the RenCen project, which went on for anout 13 years, will be ending in a couple of months. this, from my friends info, will be their last projject on detroit for a while. many people including my friend aree starting to look for different jobs. (in his case, he'll be somewhat of a caretaker for ford field). idk if there may be any other construction companies that see the light to a renovation project on the broderick, but in the construction business, tearing down and starting over is alot easier and more cost efficient than renovating.15.gif

If Allan was here, he could tell us more about the Broderick. I explored that building last month, it's in great shape. I don't know if Mike Higgins will be taking on the renovation project himself or not. Hines has had the money to do all of these projects downtown, unfortunately they have dropped the ball a few times. But don't worry, the Broderick is going to be around for awhile. There are absolutely no plans for its demolition.

The website is still up, and still broken, haha.

The Barry Sanders Project

yeah, hey nobody responded to one of my questions; i had wanted to know where to dl these awsome BATs since your site is broken. and i also wanted to know if anyones done a realistic detroit on simcity 4. if so, some screen shots would be cool. oh and obout the site, if anyone knows the specifics of the problem, im a fairly good programmer (taking cisco class in high school helps! hah). maybe i could help.
    and off topic, my sports fantasy world!
    -stones BACK TO BACK BABY!
    -tigers win division!
    -lions go to their home game super bowl!
    -Red wings come back damnit!
    -Lloyd Carr gets fired!
    -Mike Hart gets Heisman!
    -michigan football goes undefeated

that is all

Wow, I haven't checked-in in a long time.

BD: I'm really sorry to hear about your van and tools. That's messed up. 28.gif

Wolverine: When did the Hudson's building come into BAT existence?! That looks rockin'!!

As far as my projects are concerned... I hate to say it but it might be awhile. Between the end of semester, graduation!!! and possibly making a big move, I haven't even had time to load up the game much less BAT. For what it's worth, Burton Tower is all but done... I've had it in game and it looks good... it just needs lighting. Cadillac Tower is about where I left it last... three of the four faces a little over 1/2 done. So we'll see.

I guess I've been a very bad BSP NKOTB. lol