A Nonny Moose

The Moose Factory - Virtual Bar and Grill - Version 3

4,154 posts in this topic Last Reply

Summer weather seems to be over in Upper Michigan.  So in that case, my wife has prepared all manner of delicious casseroles.  Mm, I love casseroles, and there's still a little Oberon left for those few days we'll see the far side of 70F.

So you're looking down the barrel of some warmer weather.  The long term forecast for us doesn't get truly cold until November, although I'm still holding out hope.  These days I'm taking care of inventory outside, so I still managed to get a sunburn.  I guess this means that we're breaking out the ice cream bar!  Ice cream for everyone!

So you're looking down the barrel of some warmer weather

And listening out for the sound of Greensleeves being played really badly out on the roads  .... our ice cream trucks all play the same tune, but in the meantime thanks I'll have an ice cream from the bar to keep me going  :thumb:

We're getting ice cream tomorrow, but we're going to go somewhere to get it.  We're in for some roller coaster temperatures for a while.  We've had alternate days of like 10C highs and 20C highs the past couple of weeks, and it looks to continue, what with the cold and rainy day we just had and the beach weather we're supposed to get tomorrow.  Life in the Midwest!

With the temperatures back up in the *SIGH* 80s *UGH*, I think we'll put out some fresh salads, somen and soy-based dipping sauce so we can enjoy a little tsuke-men.  Yummy.  And then on Sunday temps fall off a cliff and we may be looking at stews, curry, chili, and perhaps some chanko nabe to celebrate the ongoing fall Grand Sumo Tournament.  The Aki Basho has been wild, with 3 of the 4 yokozuna out with injury and probably the 4th joining them after today's bout, and a maegashira leading the pack!

The weirdest basho ever is underway at Kokugikan in Tokyo.  Three of the four yokozuna are out, two ozeki are out, and maegashira (the lowest rank) are leading the pack right now!  Chanko nabe all around!

The weirdest basho has come to an end with the sole yokozuna Harumafuji taking the championship.  That was not my desired outcome (my second favorite rikishi Mitakeumi fell out of the race early last week), but oh well, yokozuna is gonna yokozuna.  Celebratory chankonabe is still served for dinner!

It is so hot up here, we hit 90F today and yesterday and this is Upper Michigan on the Lake Superior shoreline after the fall equinox.  I'm fairly certain this weekend was a punishment on me for something, but I can't figure it out.  Ice cream will remain a free for all at our ice cream bar through Tuesday when the temperatures are to begin their 30F plunge into the 50s.  Fall will finally be here.

It got nice with temps in the 60s, but then it was 80 again today...  And tomorrow it'll get nice again!  If we were still in Japan we'd be enjoying yakiimo and pizamans, so I'll put some of those out here.

My wife makes a wonderful pecan pie that's become my granny's favorite.  You have chosen well, my friend.

I think for anyone wanting a bit of dinner we'll be serving some hand-made ravioli with marinara sauce.  It's excellent!  And yummy!

Nothing like a Sunday morning southern breakfast. Two eggs over easy, nice crispy bacon, some cinnamon French toast, and some butter grits on the side with a cup of the world famous coffee to wash it all down.