Livin in Sim

What Music are you listening to right now?--The Second Verse

4,932 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sorry to interrupt with something entirely different... this is one of those songs that I think are so peculiar and special in certain way that one could say if you don't get this - if you don't feel this deep down - then maybe Metal isn't for you. John Arch's vocals are certainly an acquired taste, they are so high-pitched and unusual. It sometimes surprises myself that I actually like them myself, not being the biggest Power Metal fan at all. And the music is lightyears away from any trend or fashion whatsoever as well - bulky, old-fashioned, not overproduced at all. And yet, for me, this is one of those songs that epitomise what Metal is all about. So IMO this song either grabs you and bangs your head, or... well... it's just not for you. This is 1985, this is Fates Warning, this is The Apparition. \m/

PG-13

Speaking of dark heavy metal madness... Some lunatic tried to fake-out NORAD yesterday.  It was a lot of hard work evolving mammals and birds.  I like the Earth this way.  Simian reptiles need not apply, they had their chance and blew it.  Its not just about the bone-structure ladies...

Introducing: Miss SuperNova (one and the same nova)

This is a good song to relax to. Please don't mind the song title it's not towards anyone *:ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV_A8CD0Cp8

@RandyE That was actually kinda groovy xD

@T Wrecks Power metal is definitely a hit or miss for me (usually a miss *:no:). Here's something that's still heavy metal *:kitty:

But I understand where you're coming from. I don't think we would have some of the bands we have now if it weren't for the original heavy metal artists. Thanks to the roots of heavy metal I grew into other sub-genres and oh, are they like treasure troves! Some may say it's too extreme but it definitely strikes something in me that pure heavy metal cannot.

Symphonic Death Metal:

Electronic Metal:

To end this post before it gets way too long, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge the good ol' blues or rock n' roll but with a twist. And, of course a surprise.

Icelandic Rock:

Progressive "Shakespeare" Metal:

Eek, why am I still awake! Off to bed... Enjoy *:D

The Art of Music is a many splendoured thing indeed,  I would say its the first art, the most ancient, even the most civilized.  I mean, babies cry before they make gestures or doodles.  Here's some super heavy metal on heavy metal.   I think metal generates a lot finer resolution of tone than most other carriers of sound, but the winds and dissolved solids are sweet too. 

Defintely some heavy metal songs would sound better to me if played on an ukulele. Or a banjo, an accordion, violin, harp, djembe ... strange kind of music 90% of the musical instruments of the world you can't play it on.

Btw. .. banjo and djembe are used here:

And funny, how later in the song, the djembe adds that extra push to the base drum, making the rythm more intense.

But - to stay on topic - last I did listen this tune, also nice use of the different colors of instruments, the washboard (metal!) f.e.

Jukka Tolonen - Summer Games