Sign in to follow this  
Cougar2004

SimCity 4 in Wide Screen Mode

Which do you play Sim City 4 on?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you play Sim City 4 on?

• I play on a Wide Screen Monitor.
    • I play on a standard square monitor.
    • What I play on is something other than the 2 above options. (Explain in thread.)

114 posts in this topic Last Reply

Dose any one know how to keep my ui form getting chopped off on my 10" netbook

i've already got the screen set to  -CustomResolution:enabled -r1024x576x32 (Native Resolution in 32-bit color)

but the top portion of my ui bars keeps geeting cut off as shown below

koman90: I'm afraid that the UI bar takes up more vertical room than your screen can handle... probably at another 24 pixels (therefore allowing folks in 800x600 to see the whole bar.)

Thanks a bunch for this fix, I've been wanting 1440x900 resolution for a while now! Makes the game a LOT nicer-looking!

Originally posted by: blasterman

koman90: I'm afraid that the UI bar takes up more vertical room than your screen can handle... probably at another 24 pixels (therefore allowing folks in 800x600 to see the whole bar.)

Thanks a bunch for this fix, I've been wanting 1440x900 resolution for a while now! Makes the game a LOT nicer-looking!quote>

thanks it wasn't that critical i can revert to 800X600 on this screen but SC4 works just fine on my destop that has a standars square 1280x1024 - 1600x1200 screen

Wow, what a difference!  Thanks so much for this information.  Really glad to be rid of the obnoxious intro too.

Here's a shot at my new rez, 1680 x 1050.

metro.jpg

It doesn't work for me, i use this: "SimCity 4.exe -ldanish -Introoff -CustomResolutionenabled -r1920x1080x32". but when i try to start up SimCity 4 i won't start up. Anyone know why?

It´s not the filename you should change.

Right-click the file and choose properties, then insert the commands in the target box.

dualcore-fix.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: rtil

i knew about the custom res, but not the cpucount one. i have a quad core, so this is interesting to mequote>

A few things I learned a while back on sc4devotion (so i give credit to that forum for this), but ill re-share here.

-CPUCount:X - (Where X is the number of cpu's on the system) Specifies how many CPUs to take advantage of when there is more than one CPU present on the system. By default, the app takes advantage of all CPUs present on multiprocessor systems. However, some system drivers (sound in particular) are known to have problems when run in a multi-CPU environment. Thus it might be useful to specify -CPUCount:1 in order to prevent crashes with these faulty drivers.

-CPUCount:0 has no effect.

-CPUPriority:low - Specifies that the application set its base process priority to low instead of normal. This is useful for having the app run side-by-side with other applications and have it not take too much processing time away from the other applications. This is a more benign form of the -gp command line option.

Code: (Processor Options)
    -CPUPriority:low

-CPUCount:X

Where x is the number of the processors your computer has.

CPUPriority lets other processes (programs) use the processor more when the game isnt in use.

I admit that I have known these options, but I haven't really cared to mess with them much, since my computer is very new, powerful, and never has any problem or slowness with SC4.  Hope these answers help.

There are programs which use the OS to map the screen to two monitors. (it may require Vista, I'm not sure). My son uses this, but I don't know the details .. I believe that if you were using that program, you could do SC4 across 2 screens.. for whatever use that is.. 2.gif Of course many modern video cards will spread your display across two screens as well.

This is incredible!! I never knew any of the command line tricks. Getting rid of that LOUD intro is such a relief and the graphics at higher reseloution is wonderful.

Does anyone know how to do this through the SC4 Startup Manager?

That'd be great to know - that way I don't have to load the game first in the startup-manager and then through my shortcut... 2.gif

Thanks anyways - this looks damn great on my 16:9 computer. 9.gif 

Originally posted by: killmork

Does anyone know how to do this through the SC4 Startup Manager?

That'd be great to know - that way I don't have to load the game first in the startup-manager and then through my shortcut...quote>

Which version are you using? I use ver. 2 and it has a command line extension option in the Configure window. I'm not sure about ver. 3. I haven't tried it in a long time, but I would think there would be something similar.

Hello Cougar2004,

I want to start by saying thanks for any hard work and frustrations you went thru to figure this out. I am running windows 7 and I to want to be able to view the game in full screen not a little square. I really appreciate guys like you who know what your doing and make it possible for guys like me to have help. With that being said I have no clue as to what you have wrote on the wall here and wa woundering if you could take the time to explain to me what steps are needed to make this happen. I am very comvertable with computers and know my way around if told so its not a total loss with me if you decide to help. Thanks for your time reading this and hope to hear from you soon. Marshall.

need help understanding this. really want to view mine on my 17" laptop windows 7

Please use the edit button on the lower right of your post to add to your previous post instead of double posting in a short time. 

The steps to do this are:

Right click on the SC4 icon, either the program or the shortcut.

Select "Properties" from the pop up menu.

In Properties window, shortcut tab, click twice slowly at the end of the "Target" window box , making sure the whole thing is not selected, of course.

Add a space.

Type or copy and paste the commands needed; for resolution it would be:

-CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900

Replace italicized number with your resolution.  Note where the spaces are as well.

You can also add:

-intro:off

after a space to kill the intro, and other options such as windowed mode, which I believe are at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks!

--Liv

SC4 Gen'l Disc Moderator

i have a 1366x768 wide screen LCD... my game was working perfectly until it suddenly went full screen... none of the resolutions above seem to be helping me... 32.gif somebody PLEASE help me!!  i just want my sim city 4 and rct3 to look like they used to! T_T

If you want your game to run in windoweed mode at full resolution then this is waht you have to do. (1366 is not supported by sc4, you will have to use 1360x768) If you do not want windowed mode replace the -w with a -f in the insturctions below, it will make it full screen.

Right click on the SC4 icon, either the program or the shortcut.

Select "Properties" from the pop up menu.

In Properties window, shortcut tab, click twice slowly at the end of the "Target" window box , making sure the whole thing is not selected, of course.

Add a space.

Type or copy and paste the commands needed; for resolution it would be:

-w -CustomResolution:enabled -r1360x768

Note: The numbers above after the -r need to be changed depndeing on your resolution.

Press Apply Then Ok (Both at the bottom of the window)

Has anybody tried rendering a custom map (either grayscale or SC4M) in wide-screen mode? Some players have reported problems with the region view (blank stripes).

Originally posted by: cogeo

Has anybody tried rendering a custom map (either grayscale or SC4M) in wide-screen mode? Some players have reported problems with the region view (blank stripes).quote>

That is not caused by the wide screen, it is that the region is rendered at a resolution of 1600x1200 or higher.

Originally posted by: tungston

That is not caused by the wide screen, it is that the region is rendered at a resolution of 1600x1200 or higher.

quote>

Thanks for the reply! How about the 1920 x 1080 resilution (a very common one now, 16:9)? 1920 is higher than 1600, but 1080 is less than 1200! 1.gif

Originally posted by: cogeo

Originally posted by: tungston

quote>

Thanks for the reply! How about the 1920 x 1080 resilution (a very common one now, 16:9)? 1920 is higher than 1600, but 1080 is less than 1200! 1.gif

quote>

I am only guessing, because I have yet to render on a wide screen, but I think it's just the high resolution.  I am still using a 21 inch CRT.