Barbarossa

What are you reading?

1,355 posts in this topic Last Reply

i am currently reading this -

"come to greatly appreciate Dickens's genius. He knew how to write, and how to tell a timeless story. I am especially stunned by his skill since I am coming off of reading the Butlerian Jihad series of Dune books, written by Frank Herbert's idiot son and his son's co-writer (also an idiot, from what I have read).

Anyhow, I am interested in knowing what others have in front of them, and what kind of impression it is having...

Barbarossa"

~alex~

It'll sound dumb, but I'm currently re-reading Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. I'm preparing for the summer release of the 7th book. Other than that I'm not reading much. I have a full semester of college courses in the summer (yeah... I have to take a full schedule in the summer (no choice), it is horrible), so I'll be reading an average of four chapters a week of fact-driven (and boring) subjects for the entire summer. Oh well...

I usually do not read a great deal, unless it is something that really grabs me, like SC stuff 3.gif

Lately I have been reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle (read twice now) & also "Infinite Self" by someone Wilde. Both are spirituality books (not religous). I would say they're the kind of books that can help a person find themself, deal with stuff & personal growth. Quite powerful & have a lot of potential, & for me that's saying something.

Why I'm reading these: because of personal life situations.

Engine of the Gods - Jack McDewitt

just finished; Rendevouz with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke , A GREAT BOOK BTW!!!

take care,

you led to my demise on the Simtrop House of Worship, you evil person, you! I'm not sure I want to know what you read!quote>

Lol! He did?. . . wait a minute, that thread's gone? correction: it's not gone, just ignored. Oh well. I was pretty much tired (literally speaking) of the never-ending debate anyway.

Does a board game book count? Because I'm reading The Monopoly Book by Maxine Brady. It was published in 1974 so it's pretty old but the strategies and tactics contained in it are very informative.

Originally posted by: ExiL3 

just finished; Rendevouz with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke , A GREAT BOOK BTW!!!

take care,quote>

One of his best.

try Childhood's End.

Needed some light reading, so I am re-reading the Harper Hall set in the Pern universe of Ann McCaffery.  Most recent serious book was Heart Matters by Adrienne Clarkson, our immediatly past Governor General.

I am currently reading "My Friend Leonard" by James Frey. I recently just finished his first book "A Million Little Pieces" and I liked it so much that I needed to his "sequel" to it. If anyone else has read "A Million Little Pieces" I suggest picking up "My Friend Leonard". Although it is quite sad, I find Leonard to be hilarious.

Also, I am reading 1984 by George Orwell for school. I have wanted to read 1984 for a very long time and I am falling in love with it ! Orwell is a brilliant writer and I am really enjoying the book. 

I make a list for myself of books that I want to read. The list is huge and has been around for quite some time. I read just about every book and I never get around to everything. 4.gif

Barbarossa: Have you read "A Tale of Two Cities"? If not, I highly suggest reading it. The ending is wonderful (well I dont know if its wonderful... 3.gif) Sometimes it feels like book will never end because it drags on so much but that is because Dickens was paid by the word (random fact of the day 3.gif)

-Ellie

Currently reading:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Recently Ive read

1984 by George Orwell

Chain of Command by Seymour Hersh

What If? by Robert Cowley

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Teach Yourself .. Politics by Peter Joyce

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

Just from the looks of it, quite of few people have read Orwell. I've never read "Animal Farm" but my little brother is reading it now in school. What is it about? Because my little brother explaination made no sense. Is it anything like 1984?

-Ellie

Originally posted by: N_O_Body The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien.  An story of the First Age of Middle Earth.quote>

Is it good?

Originally posted by: Easy Bakes
Originally posted by: N_O_Body The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien.  An story of the First Age of Middle Earth.quote>

Is it good?

quote>

Depends on whether you liked LOTR and The Hobbit.  If you liked the Silmariion, you will probably like this, because it takes place in the first age.  LOTR is at the end of the third age of Middle Earth.  Will say more when I have read it.