Jasoncw

BAT - Troubleshooting & General Discussion

1,537 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • On 9/4/2017 at 10:52 AM, Eagle74 said:

I am doing the BAT Essentials Tutorial & have a question on texturing.  When material (brick texture) is applied to extruded walls it shows fine in viewpoint on one side of the wall, but the other side is completely black. . . but the preview appears to be OK.  What is going on here & how do I rectify it?  I am running BAT/Gmax & the UVW map is set on box.

If your UVW Map is set up correctly, and your preview render looks correct, then everything is probably fine. The viewport isn't a reliable way of knowing how something will look and it's prone to visual problems. :) 

Thanks, from reading the threads that is what I expected.  Though it is annoying when you are trying to texture & can't see what it looks like without previewing.

Three days in a row - everything I lay my hands upon in SC4 turns out to look ugly. Could need some cheer up.

Now, during export in B.A.T everything looks fine but in LE and in game on the farer zoom levels (1-3) there is a terrible moiree on the edge of this bat, while on the closer zooms (4 and 5) it looks as it should:

distortion.jpg

Interestingly it appears always only on the opposite angle your watching at. If would flip 2x it would appear on the other side, if I flip 1x it doesn't show - so its always on the opposite long side, which makes me wonder if its related to the render at all.

Any hints how to get rid of this?

11 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

if I flip 1x it doesn't show - so its always on the opposite long side, which makes me wonder if its related to the render at all.

Any hints how to get rid of this?

You're correct, it's not the render. Most of the images relating to this problem (when 90% of batters used gmax) have long been erased from the internet, but essentially it has to do with the colour of the texture chosen and your video card. It may or may not appear to have the same problems on someone else's machine.

Gmax has inherent difficulties in representing both whites and shades of grey - especially greys with a blue base; so for your roof you could try de-saturating the texture so that it ends up more closely aligned to the values of the shingle roof on the building next to it, or you could try changing the base tint in the GIMP and then de-saturating. Either way, it will take some trial-and-error to get a more acceptable result.

Edit: I also forgot that any textures that are opaque (eg glass) can cause gmax to do this to the other textures on the BAT once rendered. 

I had this issue with one of my models, although it won't help you none, the eventual solution I used was moving to 3DS Max instead.

If you get problems and want to know if the render is OK or not, you can open the SC4Model file in Reader. Look at the FSH textures inside, if they don't have any errors, you know the render process was not the cause. All the instance IDs follow a scheme for which Zoom/Rotation the textures are for like so:

0003DZRU

• D = Day (0) or Night (8) texture.
    • Z = Zoom 1-5 (0-4)
    • R = Rotation, S, W, N, E (0, 1, 2, 3)
    • U = Unique Texture ID. (0-F), which allows for 16 textures to be combined for any single zoom/rotation of the model.

Thank you, @mattb325 did as you suggested (desaturated, shifted a little bit from blue to red) and at least I could reduce it considerably.

@rsc204, thanks that's a handy information too.

18 hours ago, mattb325 said:

Edit: I also forgot that any textures that are opaque (eg glass) can cause gmax to do this to the other textures on the BAT once rendered. 

Ah! Indeed on the brink of the roof I didn't apply a texture only an opaque grey colour. So I'll check this too now.

19 hours ago, mattb325 said:

You're correct, it's not the render. Most of the images relating to this problem (when 90% of batters used gmax) have long been erased from the internet, but essentially it has to do with the colour of the texture chosen and your video card. It may or may not appear to have the same problems on someone else's machine.

Gmax has inherent difficulties in representing both whites and shades of grey - especially greys with a blue base; so for your roof you could try de-saturating the texture so that it ends up more closely aligned to the values of the shingle roof on the building next to it, or you could try changing the base tint in the GIMP and then de-saturating. Either way, it will take some trial-and-error to get a more acceptable result.

I'm going to chime in here and say that from my experience, the texture color isn't the problem exclusively - it has more to do with including textures in a model that are not 100% opaque.  I had this on a model a while ago, and we did a lot of troubleshooting in my BAT thread (circa late 2011 if I recall correctly).  Just having a set of textures with a less opaque one in the mix is enough to "singe" or fritz out the edges of another texture.  Luckily, in my experience, it happens very infrequently; I think in over 120 BATs I have done, I have seen it twice, and both times the textures it affected were wildly different.

I use see-through (ie. non-opaque) textures less and less now, since I am doing gmax nightlighting a slightly different way of late.  (Instead of using modeled interiors and lighting them behind clear glass).  The good news is that the pixels being "burned" are not in the actual renders/FSH files - so it's not something that will be "baked into" the BAT if you share it with others.