Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poid

Big City Blues

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Hi all,

I'm developing a city which currently has a popoulation of just under 500,000.

In many ways it is very successful - all the industry is hi-tech, there are lots of commercial headquarters and glamorous residential developments.

However, I'm now having a BIG problem with commute times. As soon as I put in a new residential plot, a $$$ wealth building will appear on it... but within minutes it will be abandoned, or be taken up by $ or $$ wealth residents (thus making swathes of the city look dirty).

The excuse given for abandoment is always "commute time", but this makes no sense. I've put in extensive avenues, motorways, a really good rail network, subways and hundreds of bus stops. Yet people just won't use these facilities to travel to work (particularly the rail and subway networks, even though they are carefully planned).

Even if a residential building is right next to a load of offices, it will still be abandoned because of "commute time"!! It's driving me mad.

Does anyone have any ideas? 42.gif

Your problem is one of wealth. It is possible to have too many R$$$ residents. Even with lots of I-HT, CS$$$ and CO$$$, the actual number of jobs to be filled by R$$$ is only around 20% of the total jobs. So, while it's nice to have all R$$$, you need large numbers of R$ and R$$ to complement them.

Commute Time is the game's excuse for a myriad of problems relating to abandonment, however, in this case, it's not far from the truth. The R$$$ in the building can't find a job they will take close enough to them.

As for the mass transit use (or lack thereof), R$$$ sims are especially reluctant to use MT. It seems that they will use Monorail, but little else in large numbers. R$ and R$$ sims on the other hand will quickly swamp your MT system.

So the basic solution is to either induce some R$ and R$$ development through taxes, or, if you don't want to mess up this particular city with the unclean masses, start up a neighbor city and tax the R$$$ out and build just R$ and R$$ along with some lower wealth CS and some I-M.

No matter how attractive it might be to have all R$$$, the game unfortunately requires a much more balanced approach.