Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meks89

Aging Sims & My 2 cents about...

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Hi all, quick question. My main city's population consists of mosty sims 50+. Is there any negative affect to that and if so how do I get the young sims back?

Also I don't know if it's been mentioned but regarding wealth and commute times, aren't the wealthy R$$$ supposed to be the ones who travel the farthest? I mean the way U.S. cities are designed the wealthy usually don't live in the city. Examples: 1) NYC-wealthy people live around the city(long island, N.J., Upstate..etc) with the exception of those who live in the upscale districts. 2) Baltimore- Again the wealthy live in the downtown and upscale areas while rest of the wealthy live in the surrounding counties. The only reason I'm bringing this up now is because the wealthy in my current city is giving me a hard time. Even though my mass transit system is pretty good. Commute times are around 35min and more people use my M.T.S. than drive. Well just needed to vent alittle. Feel free answer the true question and comment on the second if you wish.

In SimCity 4 wealthy sims really hate to travel far at all, and don't like public transport (except subway and maybe monorail). So in this case SC4 is not quite like real life (although IRL a lot of wealthy people do choose to live in nice apartments in the CBD of a large city)

Its best to keep your resident's commute times as low as possible, but high wealth sims will complain the loudest about long commutes and be the first to give up their jobs and leave town if it gets even a little long. Its not such a problem with low wealth sims, and they like to use public transport which helps a lot.

To get young sims you will need to zone new residential areas. When sims move in they are young. You only get old sims when they have been in the one place long enough to grow old.

I'm not entirely sure what happens if all your sims grow old and die at the same time. Ive never seen this happen in my game since I try to keep a good mixture of ages in my cities.

The major problem is (if I recall properly) that people quit being worker and retire at some age (65?) .. After that they cease to be workers. This means that if you allow large areas to become old with no new developement, your city will have serious worker shortages.

Originally posted by: silvermac Now you've got me thinking what if 60% of New York grew old and all died at t he exact same timequote>

I'm not even sure if sims actually do die, or if they just keep aging. I know the My Sims die and keep getting replaced by a clone of themselves, but I'm not sure what happens to the regular sims. Maybe someone else can answer this part of the question.

And ageing populations are an issue to nations in real life. For example Australia's population is ageing and soon most of the baby boomers will want to retire (a large proportion of the population are 55-65 years old which is retirement age here). Then there may not be enough tax paying workers to support the population or skilled workers to work in business and industry. It also would require more government spending on health and other social services. The government is trying to address the issue, by providing incentives for people to have more children, increase immigration and keep people in the workforce longer. But ageing populations are a dilemma for real world governments.

They definitely die and you can look up life expectancy on the graph.. if you supply poor medical coverage, they will die younger.. 4.gif

My region is at year 100 =/- and it's had the same age profile for decades: big spike at 51-60, fewer younger or older, and not nearly enough young people. There has been no baby boom effect that I've seen, and while I zone new areas and some new building occurs, my population barely increases at all, even though demand is usually maxed in every category. My schools are all but empty. It's getting really frustrating. I'm playing a region with fifteen large cities and I've been trying to crack the 2 million population barrier for what seems like months (I'm really old and I don't play all that often, but I'm talking like twenty years of game time).

Is there any way to get my population growing again?

My older area's of town get old people and I usually end up with like 3-4 people in each school. While the younger people live in the newer area's. My thing seems like the opposite of yours smartpig. I have no idea why tho...

Oh, my younger people live in the newer areas, too. The problem is that there still aren't very many younger people.

I've been working on the same region for way too long, and it's about time I started a new one. Re this problem, though, I don't know what I could do differently. My thought is that I've run perfect pathfinding (it isn't, btw) through most of this region's history, and the bogging down of gameplay I've seen has affected the demographics as well as who knows what else. IOW, the game has put so much effort into figuring out how everybody gets to work, it's gone AWOL on a variety of other things, including demographics. It's a long shot, but that's all I can think of.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been on vacation.

That happens to me alot to. But what I do is just vone for a higher density in the areas that that happens in. Like I start at low density then I work my way up. That really helps for me because new sims move to the City and probably alot of other reasons. I think you should try that if you have enouph demand for it. Good luck!

Yes, rezoning for higher densities works to some extent. I'd tried it with mostly-disappointing results for a while, but I did finally get my region population above 2 million. There's no visible impact on demographics, though.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention one little tidbit: at about year 95, I got sick of zoning for these vast swaths of industry, so I put in the Industry Quadrupler Mod. Oddly, it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Residential demand had been maxed before and it's still maxed now; industrial demand is still strong, too, even with four times as many jobs to be had (in fact, at least one of my cities has more indistrail jobs than residents, and all have more jobs than residents even though a good third of my population is old enough to be retired). Strange.

Originally posted by: meks89

Hi all, quick question. My main city's population consists of mosty sims 50+. Is there any negative affect to that and if so how do I get the young sims back?

Also I don't know if it's been mentioned but regarding wealth and commute times, aren't the wealthy R$$$ supposed to be the ones who travel the farthest? I mean the way U.S. cities are designed the wealthy usually don't live in the city. Examples: 1) NYC-wealthy people live around the city(long island, N.J., Upstate..etc) with the exception of those who live in the upscale districts. 2) Baltimore- Again the wealthy live in the downtown and upscale areas while rest of the wealthy live in the surrounding counties. The only reason I'm bringing this up now is because the wealthy in my current city is giving me a hard time. Even though my mass transit system is pretty good. Commute times are around 35min and more people use my M.T.S. than drive. Well just needed to vent alittle. Feel free answer the true question and comment on the second if you wish.

quote>

Just quickly in response to the second point, it's true that in the US the wealthy, mainly white population, largely stampeded out of the inner cities, however, this isn't the rule elsewhere. In Europe the slums seem to be on the outskirts i.e Paris's suburbs where the riots happened and Canada, despite being right next door to the US, is somewhere in between with some rough inner city neighbourhoods (not the extreme ghettos though) and without the flight of the wealthy. The US experience isn't close to universal.

As for wheather or not having an old population has any negative effects I don't know of any. In fact I would think it would actually be desireable. With old people in your city you should be able to support a larger population with fewer jobs since their will be more non-workers. Also, older sims don't tax the educational budget nearly as much. Museums and libraries are cheap cheap cheap after you build the Art Museum and Main Library. So an older population, besides using fewer jobs, is actually easier on city services.

In SC3000U I found the easiest way to get rid of entrenched old population is simple distroy them slowly as you go.. A wiped out OLD PPL home will rebuild very quickly filled with bright new faces.. 4.gif .. its a game, not RL

Just don't try to wipe out big batches at once... that can put a real hurt on all kinds of things, but if you do it slowly like a building every 6 mo to a yr you will replenish your cities.. 4.gif

There is a map view selection that shows average age in a color overlay.