heyden_simcity_4

Show us your - Region

1,536 posts in this topic Last Reply

I really like that terraforming, it must take a lot of patience to do that.

I'll echo Yoshi's excellent advice, and would love to see some close ups of the individual cities :)

Also, what terrain mod are you using? It looks very colourful, especially since I prefer the more earthy coloured ones. 

As for myself, this is how my region has progressed since I last posted in here:

Regionshot21052013_zps327db288.png

Overall not too much growth (certainly less than I would have liked over the time period), with around 30k population for the region with 10k each for Northshore (North-West of the lake) and Colton (in the South-East) after around 10 years' worth of play. 

This is mainly because I haven't been able to play that much due to exams and also much of my spare time being given over to looking after a clan on a certain Tank-based MMO. This is one of the things I like about SC4, you have no time pressure since you play completely on your own and can come back to it at any time.

However, other than simply expanding the current settlements, I'm not really sure on where to build (other than avoiding building up mountains, in lakes etc.) so any tips/diagrams would be appreciated :)

...And at least I've got the trees and basic connections down!

Thanks so much for your comments Yoshi and Lordy i appreciate you taking time to help me out. I totally agree with both your suggestions, and Lordy i love the pic of your creation, very immaculate! reminds me of Manitou Springs at the foot of Pikes Peak only yours has a bonus lake:D Not sure if i my response belongs in this thread, so ill just spit it out, move it if u need to :D The cities in the screen shot will most likely be discarded with the exception of "level One" due to its complexity. They were used to make tutorial videos on how i eliminated my CTD issues and some "over the top" mountain terraforming. Call me crazy but my plan for this region is to make it a world caught in a time rift if that makes any sense, basically many different lands trapped in a void and in different times sharing one singular space. I got a few stencil city themes i made for this place like medieval, current time, self sustaining (thanks to simpeg), and even a dinosaur island im calling "isla Sorna" lol. ~ That being said, i gotta admit i haven't really thought about singularity, but your right.. doesn't make sense to just end something and start elsewhere, how epic would it be to see a city change from 1500 to 2800 in just a few feet lol! ~ Building into mountains- ...unrealistic as it is, I really thought i could make it work nicely,.. boy oh boy did i bite off more than i could chew. Never thought i would put so much effort into something and get so little satisfaction lol. Im gonna try to salvage the hours of work that were poured on that sucker n see if it can improvise a way to make it useful for this region, (specifically for the land its sitting on >:# ) ~ Connecting Kings landing and Sailfish shore- Totally my original plan, a few floaters here n there for connecting long sections of hwy and done deal. What an epic road trip that would be! I pulled some road to see what it would look like in region , what size hwy would you suggest for this union. Im also terraforming the islands needed to connect the hwy pieces to resemble sea dwelling criters. ~Pegs Sky Farms- The Sky Farms are an amazing tool but im scared they will take away from the impact of the teraforming i created, heres a close up of the sailfish shore, im so very open to suggestions & advice on the possible options u can offer. again, thanks so much for your input guys, really helps to expand on ideas

0-Apr51781369039322_zps84291365.png

That's an intriguing idea, but how would you facilitate trade? Ultimately these civilizations will come in contact and share concepts. 

Perhaps we may see something steampunky or perhaps a Di Vincian style?

It certainly is a very cool idea! I can't for the life of me figure out how they'd connect together though (at least through region view), and of course if and how they'd come into contact /trade with each other (once again echoing Yoshi). 

So is that piece of art made from the ploppable SPAM farm fillers? I still can't really tell haha.

Also, thank you for the kind words on my region, it is actually the Lake Annecy region in the French Alps, which I downloaded from the Stex I do beleive :)

Yeah you bring up a good point, i was thinking if i made a few cities of each future, medieval, ect it would work out or maybe im just going about this completely wrong lol. To answer your question Lordyboy96, yes its ploppable 1x1 farms they are the only ones that are visible in region view.

SWJnhVl.jpg

This is from my jordan metro cj. The map is a portion of NHP's Palm Springs map.Current region pop is 165k. So far the most populated city is Hawthorne at 41k, followed by Desert Ridge at 37k. I haven't started working on the main city, Jordan, yet.

I also need advice. Should I develop on this patch of flat land on top of the mountain, which should be visible from here.

I really like that terraforming, it must take a lot of patience to do that.

I'll echo Yoshi's excellent advice, and would love to see some close ups of the individual cities :)

Also, what terrain mod are you using? It looks very colourful, especially since I prefer the more earthy coloured ones. 

As for myself, this is how my region has progressed since I last posted in here:

Regionshot21052013_zps327db288.png

Overall not too much growth (certainly less than I would have liked over the time period), with around 30k population for the region with 10k each for Northshore (North-West of the lake) and Colton (in the South-East) after around 10 years' worth of play. 

This is mainly because I haven't been able to play that much due to exams and also much of my spare time being given over to looking after a clan on a certain Tank-based MMO. This is one of the things I like about SC4, you have no time pressure since you play completely on your own and can come back to it at any time.

However, other than simply expanding the current settlements, I'm not really sure on where to build (other than avoiding building up mountains, in lakes etc.) so any tips/diagrams would be appreciated :)

...And at least I've got the trees and basic connections down!

Wow, I love the view from here, the mountains are fabulous to trod on a hiking trip, and the settlement blends in nicely to the grays and greens of this region.  ;)

SWJnhVl.jpg

This is from my jordan metro cj. The map is a portion of NHP's Palm Springs map.Current region pop is 165k. So far the most populated city is Hawthorne at 41k, followed by Desert Ridge at 37k. I haven't started working on the main city, Jordan, yet.

I also need advice. Should I develop on this patch of flat land on top of the mountain, which should be visible from here.

If you do build on the higher terrains, I would like to see you keep the density low—small residential areas, maybe a national park?. I would also like to see some water in that region. You have a lot of flat squares which would be perfect for a diagonal coast stretching across the region. You could make an epic cape out of it, like Boston or such. 

SWJnhVl.jpg

If you do build on the higher terrains, I would like to see you keep the density low—small residential areas, maybe a national park?. I would also like to see some water in that region. You have a lot of flat squares which would be perfect for a diagonal coast stretching across the region. You could make an epic cape out of it, like Boston or such. 

i thought the same thing too! and maybe a few streams pouring out of that western mountain range wouldn't hurt either. ctually, it'll help break the grid that i see forming around the center of the map

Actually reminds me of either Las Vegas kind of places, wich have such sprawly suburbs. Another example is Salk Lake City.

I ob the other hand, think the water might kill it. A coastline wouldn't work, but a lake could (in the style of Lake Tahoe or something) could be possible. If you do build water, put Jordan on the waterfront.

I ob the other hand, think the water might kill it. A coastline wouldn't work, but a lake could (in the style of Lake Tahoe or something) could be possible. If you do build water, put Jordan on the waterfront.

If I did put water, which would be hard since the entire terrain is "super high", a lake would be best, even though its in the Mojave Desert, home to Death Valley, Las Vegas, and its the hottest desert in North America, and one of the hottest in the world.

https://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1RNCN_enUS335&q=lake+pleasant&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.dmQ&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lake+Pleasant,+Peoria,+AZ&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.dmQ&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=lw

My map is too small for a lake, though I could expand it and do something sort of like lake pleasant, which would be the easiest thing to do since I go there all the time. And also, I don't think a coastline would work in the mojave, california isn't an island yet lol

If I did put water, which would be hard since the entire terrain is "super high", a lake would be best, even though its in the Mojave Desert, home to Death Valley, Las Vegas, and its the hottest desert in North America, and one of the hottest in the world.

https://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1RNCN_enUS335&q=lake+pleasant&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.dmQ&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lake+Pleasant,+Peoria,+AZ&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.dmQ&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=lw

My map is too small for a lake, though I could expand it and do something sort of like lake pleasant, which would be the easiest thing to do since I go there all the time. And also, I don't think a coastline would work in the mojave, california isn't an island yet lol

If you're going for a waterless desert region, that's cool. But that region looks large enough for a large coast or cape—let alone a lake. I assume those are large city tiles in your region, which are each big enough to fit at least one lake. I do think your region looks great, so please don't get me wrong. I'm just particularly someone who likes terrain variety in his region, and it looks to me like you have more than enough flat city tiles and no water at all. If you're going for 100% realism, then perhaps water in a desert isn't wise. I would get bored with all those flat, waterless tiles and I love all the seaport/beach/waterfront mods available.

If you're going for a waterless desert region, that's cool. But that region looks large enough for a large coast or cape—let alone a lake. I assume those are large city tiles in your region, which are each big enough to fit at least one lake. I do think your region looks great, so please don't get me wrong. I'm just particularly someone who likes terrain variety in his region, and it looks to me like you have more than enough flat city tiles and no water at all. If you're going for 100% realism, then perhaps water in a desert isn't wise. I would get bored with all those flat, waterless tiles and I love all the seaport/beach/waterfront mods available.

If you look at the entire NHP Palm Springs map I downloaded, it is VERY big, 8x8 large city tiles. Thats why I am starting out with a portion. And all but 2 of the tiles with development are medium, because I too get bored without terrain variety. If you look at all my other cj's, I would have a large region with tons of water and mountains and farms, because I get bored and stressed by simcity4's "slowness" when I have flat, large city tiles. When I expand the map to include more of the original. I was thinking about making a lake, since the original has lots of flat land, look below. I would easily get bored with that map, so I completely know where you are coming from...

thumb-72c9a05e8d370828c408d8bba9765edf-P

If you look at the entire NHP Palm Springs map I downloaded, it is VERY big, 8x8 large city tiles. Thats why I am starting out with a portion. And all but 2 of the tiles with development are medium, because I too get bored without terrain variety. If you look at all my other cj's, I would have a large region with tons of water and mountains and farms, because I get bored and stressed by simcity4's "slowness" when I have flat, large city tiles. When I expand the map to include more of the original. I was thinking about making a lake, since the original has lots of flat land, look below. I would easily get bored with that map, so I completely know where you are coming from...

I just caught your update from the front page. You're clearly more advanced in SC4 than I. Nice to see some close up shots. With that complete Palm Springs map, I think it would look nice and natural with a river stretching across  the central flat parts. Again, it's all up to you and your aesthetic. Just trying to be helpful and tell you what I would do with it. [but I would totally turn it into a massive cape and scrape the elevation to the northeast].

[Other quotes cut off]

I just caught your update from the front page. You're clearly more advanced in SC4 than I. Nice to see some close up shots. With that complete Palm Springs map, I think it would look nice and natural with a river stretching across  the central flat parts. Again, it's all up to you and your aesthetic. Just trying to be helpful and tell you what I would do with it. [but I would totally turn it into a massive cape and scrape the elevation to the northeast].

i love the idea of a river. and what do you mean by scrape the elevation

Around Crestview's CBD and inner city, much to update and modify, but I did manage to complete 2 tiles today!

regionqf.png

Another great region? The region shots you always give are so stunning! the detail, and the TREES!

Thanks @ROFL & Tay, finished 2 more tiles and on a 3rd one now, maybe another screenshot later tonight?

Even more organic spread to come! 

-edit- 

Here ya go :Previewob.png

I do like how you have preserved the rivers there. But what's next? You open up the interior along the main river, or are you going to use green development?

@art128:  Looks extremely great and realistic!  The seasonal trees being different across city borders thing is an annoyance in one of my older regions; that's why I stopped using them in general, or at least in large quantities.

@euverus:  Your regions are amazing; I love the organic look as well as the huge downtowns.  I particularly like the last one, in terms of the landscape/map and your city as well.  I was wondering if you create/terraform the maps yourself, as I was not able to find anything by the name of "smalmey" anywhere that I searched.  Just a really interesting map.  Also, Welmington looks simply incredible. :)

I guess I might as well post an update on Trifort, still very much a WIP as you can see:

EYVzLzc.jpg

Wow! some really great regional shots there.  Here's my own... I have some work to do. And although those towns look small, one has 58,000 people in it..... not huge, but bigger then it looks.

• spL9yCx.jpg

@euverus:  Your regions are amazing; I love the organic look as well as the huge downtowns.  I particularly like the last one, in terms of the landscape/map and your city as well.  I was wondering if you create/terraform the maps yourself, as I was not able to find anything by the name of "smalmey" anywhere that I searched.  Just a really interesting map.  Also, Welmington looks simply incredible. :)

Smalmey is based on Istanbul Metropolitan Area v2 map, but on smaller scale.

I do like how you have preserved the rivers there. But what's next? You open up the interior along the main river, or are you going to use green development?

I think I'll leave it as is for the moment, but if I do anything to the area it would be green developments :P

I think I'll leave it as is for the moment, but if I do anything to the area it would be green developments :P

Good idea.

I wish I could build my region as quickly as you have managed.