• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LowRider0123

Industrial Transportation Help

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Hello everyone. Can someone give me a newbie's rundown on airports, trains, and sea ports and how I can maximize the usage of all three? Thanks alot guys!

You question is a little broad. You might try looking in the Omnibus to see if there's a tutorial to go through.

Briefly,

Airports -> Boost commerce caps

Seaports -> Boost industry caps

Make sure to have roads going to airports and seaports for the cap boosters to work.

Trains... well, they can be used for freight (industry cap booster), or as passenger mass transit.

Nope, you only need one. This is actually a fairly common misconception about the game...

There is no such thing as "trade" in SC4. The only goal of Freight is to get to the edge of the map... that's it, nothing more. So, the freight trucks will take the most expeditious route possible to the edge of the map. Make sure you place your stations/seaports accordingly.

If you have another city with a rail network that you want to join up then its a fine idea. But its not required for the frieght system to work, not at all, you will benefit no more from having it connected.

Good luck!

That's pretty much how all the intercity transit systems work. For sims to work outside the city they live in, they only have to get to the edge of the map. It doesn't matter if that is connected to anything "on the other side".

Sims will go to the jobs if they can get to them easily. (i.e., more quickly than simply driving off to the edge of the map again.) It does help boost traffic to connect all your roads. That helps boost commercial desirability where the traffic is high. But except for CO$$$, the other types of commerce can live without high traffic. Niether commerce nor industry needs employees to actually work there. They'll happily function and develop fine without employees able (or willing) to get to the jobs.

Sims are just assumed to "get jobs" if they make it to the edge of your city. They do carry on in the next city (unlike freight which just disappears), but it's mainly just for show at that point.

I'm rather disappointed with the simulation of intercity traffic and jobs. It's pretty lame.

@Bones1,

Good grief, i've played this game off & on since its release and i never knew that about the inter-city commerce! (or lack thereof)

Thank you for your explanation.

You should also put aiports near residnetial or commercial depending on if you are using the airport for commuting to other cities (Near residential) or using it to increase commercial demand and desirability.

Some say that airports produce city-wide coverage, and that you don't need to place them neer different zone types. I say, yes, they do produce city-wide coverage, but, you will find that your city plan works out much better and you'll have less transportation problems if you put the uses of transportation neer the users of transportation.

Yeah, the intercity commuting is pretty bad, as I pointed out above. Note, however, that the jobs do have to exist. But the sims don't have to actually get to the job buildings if they're doing intercity travel. They just have to get to the map edge.

I think each city keeps track of how many "extra" jobs are available in it, for the use of commuters from neighbouring cities. Those neighbours can then travel to their map-edge and are assumed to get to the jobs (even if there's no path within the neighbour to actually get there).

I guess it was just too difficult for Maxis to design a proper commuting system (such as exists for intracity commuting).

I used to build my regions with very extensive transit systems between all the cities. Then, after some testing, I realized it was generally a waste of time. I'll still use multiple highways or monorail to get sims out of a residential city and over to a industrial city, but it's not that important how good the road system is within the industrial. Often what happens if I have connections throughout my region is the sims find it much quicker to simply follow the rail system forever... traveling indefinitely from one city to the next. The map edges are usually much closer/faster than the real jobs. The commute engine doesn't care... the sims are just assumed to get jobs somewhere outside the local city.